2005 Toyota RAV4 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota RAV4:

2005 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Feb 212014

RAV4 4-cyl

I was parking, 10 minutes early, entering the spot at about 1 mph, my foot on the brake. My car lurched over a large curb and launched itself into a building. As it was lurching into the building, I kept my foot on the brake, put the car into park and pulled on the parking brake with my right hand and arm. These actions stopped the car as it crashed into the glass and metal front windows. I had been driving without any accidents, not even a ticket, for 38 years. After the accident I had Toyota inspect the car. Their finding was that the "accelerator pedal operated smoothly and returned to its idle position without any sticking or hesitation, " and that the inspector "was not able to duplicate your concern." I do not believe this determines anything with regard to this accident. I do know that my experience as a driver and my ability to stop the car kept this accident from being far worse. As a result of my actions to stop the car, my right arm suffered severe nerve damage. I still believe to this day that this was an incident of sudden acceleration.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 202008

I have a 2005 Toyota Rav4 which, because of the shoddy material, I.e., plastic, used on the fenders/bumpers, body of the car, I have had costly damage which I have had to pay $1,000 deductible every time, done due to being hit by another car or personal accidents because of the weather, etc. I love my car but all that has to be done to the car is for another car or a pole or whatever, to even a little more than lightly hit it and it caves in like a piece of aluminum or plastic. Something has to be done about the way cars are made nowadays. I could've been killed this past Sunday when I was in bumper to bumper traffic on a highway and hit someone. My front fender got the brunt of the damage. I used to have a 1992 Toyota tercel with fenders/bumpers that were strong and could withstand a collision. This is ridiculous, not to mention costly. It could also be the cause of my insurance being raised or dropped next year! no one seems to really care about how dangerous cars are being made nowadays. Thank you.

- Chicago, IL, USA