2005 Toyota RAV4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota RAV4:

2005 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Dec 032015

I've been having an intermittent issue with my 2005 rav 4. when exiting a highway on a sweeping right curve exit ramp, the vehicle stability control light will start to flash and an audible beep can be heard in the cabin. This usually indicates the car is in a skid but I assure you I am in full control of the vehicle, in its lane. After 2 to 3 seconds of constant beeping the engine cuts power and applies braking to an individual wheel, causing the vehicle to lurch slightly to one side. Just as quickly as this happens, the car resumes normal operation and the issue ceases to exist. I have had several instances of this very issue in the past 2 months. Most happen at slow speeds (under 35mph) and on dry pavement. The vehicle suspension and alignment are within operating specification. I have noticed however, that the steering rack bushings are worn. This causes the entire rack to move about slightly within the constraints of its mount. To my dismay, Toyota does not sell replacement bushings for the steering rack on 2004-2005 model rav-4's, forcing owners to pay for a completely new steering rack. This is unacceptable from a brand that prides itself on reliability and reasonably priced maintenance. The safety of the vehicle is compromised by an substandard engineered components. Ie: steering bushings; causing too much play and allowing the vehicle traction control system to inadvertently activate, causing a dangerous unsettling of the vehicle.

- Old Bethpage, NY, USA

Feb 142014

RAV4 4-cyl

Over the past few days, the last incident occurring on 2/14/2014, my car will suddenly lose power as I am driving, for about one to three seconds, then just as sudden kick back on again. When it loses power for that second or two, I lose my power steering capabilities and the battery light come on. Once the power comes back on, it continues to ride fine as if nothing happened. The problem is intermittent. I took the car to a local pep boys facility. They tested the battery and it was fine. They could not determine where the issue was originating.

- Maywood, NJ, USA

Apr 132010

Steering appears defective- difficult to turn-makes clicking sound. Told by dealer that 'both steering intermediate shafts need replacement'. dealer claims they told us this before. They have never told us this before. Car was purchased from- and has received regular maintenance- at this dealer. Someone from dealer called us out of the blue prior to bringing car in for repair; offering to buy this car. We thought this was odd as we had never expressed interest in selling.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Feb 012007

Intermittent "loose" steering feeling in 2005 Toyota rav-4. I complained to the dealership 3 different occasions and was told there was no problem or recall. My concerns were dismissed and now I see that it has happened in other models recently. My boyfriend felt it happen 2X.when he was driving. It has happened probably 15-20 times total. When driving in a 45 or 55 mph zone it is too uncomfortable to drive at those speeds. Slowing down to around 20 or 30 mph was necessary to feel safe. Most of the time the weather was extremely cold but it did happened on 2-3 occasions in summer weather.

- Hailey, ID, USA