2006 Toyota RAV4 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 032009

RAV4

On freeway, other motorist notified me my car was "on fire!" I saw excessive smoke in rearview mirror. I took the next exit which was dixon, ca off interstate 80 West in California. The side of the freeway there is grassy, did not think it was safe to stop...I stopped the car and smoke was everywhere, coming up through the hood & under the car. This was tues, 2/3/09. I has the car serviced the fri before, 1/30/09 at Toyota vallejo in vallejo, ca. I called the dealership after calling aaa for a tow. The service advisor, ryan said "it couldn't have been from anything they had done. But there is an 'oil hose' that had been coming off alot of the Rav4's." I was already upset & that made me livid!! if it were a known problem the dealership should have checked during the scheduled maint. My car was towed to lithia Toyota of vacaville #47 at 500 orange drive, vacaville, ca. Work order 394212. As of yesterday, 2/12/09, the assistant service manager, megan, told me there was no tsb she was aware of, yet the part that came off (vvti oil pipe) was not found at any other dealership or supplier in the United States, and was on order from Toyota in Japan. I am furious that it appears Toyota was well aware of this problem and has failed to initiate any steps to prevent risk to its consumers. I am asking for a full investigation which hopefully will lead to a recall of the 2006 Rav4's and any other year this affects. Megan, the assistant service manager at lithia Toyota confirmed with my insurance adjuster, jose lara (geico 707-688-3318) the cost is covered under the powertrain warranty....what about the cost of my life, and the lives of the other motorist surrounding me"?" the risk of fire is never to be taken lightly. Please investigate this matter to avoid any cost of life.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Sep 202006

RAV4

I have a serious delay in the acceleration of my 06 Toyota Rav4. It is dangerous especially when pulling into traffic. I have gotten no help from the dealer or Toyota. It happens about 5-10 times per week.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Aug 152006

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

New 2006 rav 4 was purchased at grappone Toyota, concord nh, on 7-28-06. During he first 600 miles of operation per the manufacturer. Break in recommendations it became apparent that the vehicle had a serious malfunction regarding normal acceleration and throttle use. This condition leads in an intermittent fashion to failure to accelerate when merging on the highway, failure to resume steady throttle setting after rounding a corner, sudden and serious hesitation when attempting to accelerate normally and sudden and serious losses of power on the road. These symptom are accompanied by a full time throttle lag, which prevents normal use of the throttle and often, after a varied period of delay, is followed by a sudden downshift and rush of power and acceleration. I complained to the dealer on 8-22-06 and was deferred until 8-25-06 at which time the dealer checked the engine computer and told me that the degree of malfunctioning is "normal" and could not be addressed. I told them that was unacceptable and that since this uncertain and erratic performance compromised the safety of my wife and myself we would not be able to resume normal use of the car until the dealer or manufacturer chose to address the problem. After 43 years of safe driving, I'm not about to drive an uncontrollable car in traffic on public roads when it may suddenly fail to accelerate or fail to resume normal speed after braking. Any sudden erratic moves can be dangerous to ourselves and to surrounding traffic and I find it deeply disturbing that neither Toyota nor grappone Toyota will bother to return my calls nor address this matter. I have spoken with Toyota and they have not returned my calls, facilitated a repair or even bothered to try to fix the car. Please investigate this situation which I now believe is common to about 10% of rav 4S before it costs someone their life. Thank you.

- Concord, NH, USA

Aug 242006

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2006 toytoa Rav4 has displayed non responsive throttle on many occasions where you give it gas and it does nothing, then it takes off like a rocket. I have nearly been in accidents because I pull out from a stop and the throttle is unresponsive while traffic is bearing down on me.

- Clackamas, OR, USA