2006 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 302012

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

At approximately 81000 miles, rav-4 started to burn oil at a rate of two quarts per every 3000 miles. Now at 120,000 miles, it burns one quart every 1000 miles. By comparison, my 1987 Toyota Camry does not burn a drop.

- Chatham, NJ, USA

Jun 032013

There is a very pronounced rattle, clacking, or such noise from the engine when traveling at around 25 mph while gently accelerating from between 1500 and 2000 RPM. It is quite repeatable. It occurs more readily when going uphill but I can induce it on flat ground as well. It sounds it is from the top end but because it only happens at-speed I cannot know for sure. The sound resembles valvetrain noise. This vehicle was purchased from a Toyota dealer with approx. 46K miles and it has made this noise since I first owned the car. It has been reported twice and both times I was told that it is normal, "all Rav4S do that". I don't know if this is related in any way to the well-known oil consumption issue that this engine has (2.4 liter inline 4), as I also experience excessive oil consumption.

- Hewitt, NJ, USA

Oct 272014

RAV4 4-cyl

The 2006 Rav4 is know to burn oil at excessive rate which will cause the engine to lock up at a high rate and lead to not being able to control the vehicle because of loss of steering or braking.

- Hewitt, TX, USA

May 062013

Oil consumption, insurance will not pay to correct this defect that apparently is a problem with Toyota rav 4 this an issue with 2006 ravs and the should be a recall as this is a very expensive issue that is related to the vehicle making and not neglect by the owner.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Jan 012014

RAV4 4-cyl

Because of a manufacturer defect, the oil gets all burned up by the engine even though there is no leak. As consumers, we do not know about it until it is too late.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 092014

As of 9/16/14 our 2006 Rav4 V6 currently has 45,790 miles and we just got a diagnostic from a Toyota dealership service that this part is defective a charcoal canister and an B1S2 O2 sensor needs replacement. Me and my wife love the SUV but with such low miles I would not have expected for this to have happened. From my quick research, I understand this could cause more engine damage if not repaired, I see a decrease in miles per gallon and a rough idling. I wanted to know if there is a recall for this part which is a charcoal canister and the O2 sensor. Toyota wanted $1,303 total repair and for this low milage vehicle is not what I expect from a quality vehicle.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 032014

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

My engine oil light came on and I found it was 3 quarts low after checking on the internet I found Toyota has a tsb on excessive oil burning internally with the pistons and rings but they fail to make repairs under warranty even though they stated it was a design flaw on there engine design.

- Cranberry Twp, PA, USA

May 102014

RAV4 4-cyl

May, 2014 I had my vehicle oil change done. I follow the policy of three months or 3500 miles which ever comes first. I have been using this quick lube place for fifteen years. When the oil was drained I was informed that the oil was low. I assumed that when the vehicle was in the dealers shop for a recall and the oil change was done their that they failed to put the proper amount of oil into the vehicle. With less than 3500 miles and three months the oil light came on again. I went in to have the oil changed and checked for leaks. It was short approximately two quarts with no signs of an oil leak. I was told that they have several customers with this same model who experience the same problem due to the vehicle burning oil, and told to contact Toyota. It was also suggested to regularly check the oil every two weeks. Upon returning home I checked on line and found multiple complaints for the same issue with vehicles with low mileage. I have been the original owner from day one and have maintained this vehicle.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 032014

RAV4 4-cyl

At about 65,000 miles, I noticed that my 2006 Toyota rav 4 was consuming large amounts of oil in between oil changes (which I have done every 3000-3500 miles). There was no leak, no warnings - but when checked the oil well is bone dry. Brought it to the dealership who played dumb, even though I told them Toyota had issued a technical service bulletin (tsb) about this, and that my VIN number falls under the cars listed. There are thousands of complaints about this on-line, and the dealership just said that was irrelevant. Meanwhile, I've been adding oil at every 1000 miles or less.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 112014

RAV4 4-cyl

Very abnormal oil consumption, carbonation on piston rings.

- Enfield, CT, USA

Apr 102014

RAV4 4-cyl

This has happened to me three times and to my wife once. As we begin to accelerate, either from a stop or as we are accelerating, we have a pause in acceleration. If feels like we are not pushing on the gas but that is not it. Once the gas pedal is released and we re-accelerate, the car moves forward normally. It has been very scary when someone is approaching and the gas does not move us forward. This has not happened in reverse.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Jan 282014

The engine is burning excessive amounts of oil due to a defective oil ring. The dealership says the only fix is to replace the engine.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Mar 192014

RAV4 4-cyl

Engine would try to die when I applied the brakes. The engine light came on and I looked it up in the manual and saw it was the engine oil symbol. I took it in where I had the oil changed last and they said it was 2.5 qts low. They topped it off and told me to come back after 200 miles and when I did, they said it had used more than it should have. Took it into the Toyota dealer and they started the oil consumption test. Yesterday was the final for that and low and behold, they determined that the vehicle was using oil. They said the rings, pistons, valves and etc. Should be replaced for a total of $4,300+. they offered me no assistance but did tell me that they were offering 0 percent on new vehicles. I would never purchase another Toyota. I know someone with the same car as mine who spent several hundreds trying to get her car fixed with the same problem and just finally traded it for something else. From reading consumer complaints online, there are hundreds of people having the same problem with this vehicle, please, please step in and make Toyota address this issue. Thanks.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

Mar 082014

RAV4 6-cyl

While driving home after grocery shopping, about a 4-mile drive, the vvt-I oil hose "exploded" (the word used by the Toyota sunnyvale, ca), causing smokes to come out of the car's engine compartment. Immediately, the kids were pulled out the vehicle and placed in a safe location. We are very concerned about the safety of the 2006 Toyota Rav4's oil line. What would have happened if the family was traveling farther away from home?! there is a "limited service campaign" in 2010 that only covers certain VIN of 2006-2009 Toyota Rav4. Although, my vehicle does not fall under the lsc, my vehicle is experiencing the same design defect. March 01, 2010 Toyota announced phase three of a limited service campaign (lsc) on certain 2007 -? 2009 model year avalon and Rav4 vehicles with a 2gr-fe (V6) engine... for phase three, there are approximately... 89,000 Rav4 V6 (2007-2009 model year) vehicles involved in the United States. Last year, Toyota also announced phases one and two of this lsc on... Rav4 V6 (2006 model year)... Toyota needs to take better responsibility for this defect and recall all Rav4 V6 with similar design defect.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 312014

RAV4 4-cyl

I have been changing my oil every 3000 miles / 3 months or less this Rav4 is not leaking oil and not putting soot out or blowing blue smoke out the tail pipe showing that it is burning oil. No engine lights or oil lights came on until the engine stopped running. By this time it was too late. I took my Rav4 to Goodyear and they said that they had to put 4.5 quarts of oil in which is how much the Rav4 takes. They also stated they did not see any oil leaks anywhere. This is the base model four cylinder model. Oil should not be gone in less than 3000 miles especial with an engine that has less that 150000 miles today. I feel this is a defect that should be addressed by Toyota and that everyone that encounters this problem should be compisated for the kbb fair value at the time it happens for this problem. We the people buy cars that should last and not be stuck in a financial hardship for a factory defect that does not even warn us of low oil.

- Linthicum, MD, USA

Sep 182012

RAV4 6-cyl

When backing the car out and turning the steering, there is a clunking noise that occurs. It mostly occurs from a cold start. There is a service bulletin out for this, but the dealer won't cover it. The car started making a popping sound. It was coming from underneath that car and made the exhaust sound really loud. Dealership said it was the centerpipe that was connected to the catalytic converter. The material of the centerpipe and catalytic was rusted and the dealership blamed it on me and that I drove the car off roading. I told them that the car has never gone off roading, garaged, and well maintained. Other 2006 Rav4 owners have cited the same issue stating that the material and craftsmanship of the centerpipe and catalytic converter were of poor quality. The seams of the centerpipe just completely came undone. When speaking with the dealership, they refused to cover it under the emissions warranty. When talking to the environment protection Agency for emissions, they said that Toyota should cover it. This centerpipe issue became a larger issue when the vehicle misfired and the vsc, check engine, and 4WD lights on. Took it to the dealership to discuss what the issue may be. Other owners stated that the ignition coils were of poor quality and Toyota has issued replacements. Talked to the dealership and they refused to replace it under warranty. Shortly after, the car seems to be driving very clunky and does not drive as well as usual. The car vibrates and drives very slowly. It sounded like it dropped a cylinder. The engine sounds very clunky. This has happened many times. Ignition coils were replaced several times. Check engine light, vsc, and 4WD lights turn on solid each of these instances. Since then the tire pressure has turned on and gone bad. Had to get that replaced. Now all 3 lights are back on and will need to find out why.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Sep 182012

RAV4 6-cyl

When backing the car out and turning the steering, there is a clunking noise that occurs. It mostly occurs from a cold start. The car started making a popping sound. It was coming from underneath that car and made the exhaust sound really loud. Shortly after, the car seems to be driving very clunky and does not drive as well as usual. The car vibrates and drives very slowly. It sounded like it dropped a cylinder. The engine sounds very clunky. This has happened many times. Ignition coils were replaced several times.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Dec 042013

RAV4 4-cyl

Have to keep adding a quart of oil every other week or checking it all the time! bought it new from dealer! my mechanic said either valves or pistons. Common problem with this model. I'm very upset. Change my oil every 3 thousand miles. I take very good care of my car. Went on line and others are having the same issues. Its costly to fix and Toyota should honor andfix this defect! my first Toyota and probably my last. I'll kept adding oil and see what happens.

- Scituate , MA, USA

Dec 222010

RAV4 4-cyl

12/22/2010 @ 44,169 miles the steering knocked when taking tight turns. The intermediate steering shaft was replaced. 9/16/2011 @ 50,131 miles the alternator bearings gave way and the water pump was seeping fluid. The alternator and water pump were replaced. 12/16/13 @ 63,336 miles the engine failed. The check engine light, vehicle stability light and 4WD lights came on and the dealer service department indicated that the head gasket had failed, the engine was leaking coolant and the SUV needed a new engine.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Oct 032013

Just recently purchased a used 2006 Toyota Rav4...because I've owned two previous to this one and simply appreciate them... however....I've only owned this one since may of 2013 from a reputable dealership and to much surprise I am already experiencing technical difficulties. At about 1.5K miles after an oil change, my oil light comes on...checked the oil and it was low to the point where I had to add an additional quart on the 1st occasion and 2 quarts on the 2nd occasion...may I add that there is no leak. Who is going to hold Toyota accountable? I need help and answers.

- Springfield, OH, USA