2006 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota RAV4:

2006 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 092016

Good day ¿ please: Appraise unsafety defects. Thankful.

Jan 012013

Excessive oil consumption. - Toyota won't fix

- Lake Ozark, MO, USA

Aug 122016

Unsafe defects malfunction

Jul 132016

Toyota defects malfunctioning

Mar 232016

Consuming a lot of oil, when vehicle are in motion, I did oil change and not run even 1000 mile and it when to lower point when I check it in the morning before start the car, I complaint Toyota Agency nothing solve I do not what to do, please help, thanks in advance for any help.

- Richmond Hill,, NY, USA

Mar 012015

Vehicle burns over one quart of oil every 1,000 miles or less. This was first observed in 2015 after the vehicle had about 120,000 miles. Throughout it's life the vehicle has received regularly schedule maintenance. This problem can create an unsafe condition and potentially sudden engine failure if not regularly checked.

- Rutherford, NJ, USA

May 092016

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. While driving at any speed, the vehicle consumed oil excessively. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and passed the oil consumption test. At 2,500 miles, the vehicle burned almost three quarts of oil. The warranty was extended through to October of 2016. The contact stated that the test was inaccurate. The failure mileage was 112,100.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 272015

This complaint is due to a recall: Warranty enhancement notification ZE7 concerning excessive oil consumption. A Toyota dealership tested my car on 8/27/15 and it failed. I was advised to keep checking & adding oil as needed and I would be notified when the parts arrived to correct this. When I called today, 2/2/16, they still haven't received parts for Rav4, I am very upset that it's taking so many months and I'm responsible for this problem in the meantime. I feel as if I'm driving a time bomb and it's very bothersome to keep checking the level.

- Greensburg, PA, USA

Sep 202015

Engine made knocking noise while on the freeway, and then the car died - everything quit. Had to coast off the nearest exit. There was no warning - no maintenance required lights were lit on the dash. Still had another almost 2,000 miles to go before next oil change was due. Engine is dead. Per Toyota "catastrophic internal damage from the rods." Car was well taken care of, never missed an oil change, and 8 of the last 9 years, the car was loyally serviced at a Toyota dealership.

- Benicia, CA, USA

Jul 162015

The 2006 Rav4 model Toyota has a record of stuck or clogged oil rings causing excessive oil consumption which can lead to failure of engine and catalytic converter. This defect causes oil to burn at a rate of approximately 1 quart or more every 1,000 miles. My Rav4 was brought to the dealership on 7/16/2015 to perform the first phase of an oil inspection & consumption test. On 8/4/2015 the vehicle was brought back to the dealership for re-inspection. It failed the consumption test & I was told that as soon as parts became available I'd be contacted; however, there were several customers ahead of me awaiting the same repair. Two months have passed & I have yet to hear back from the dealership as to when the repair can happen. I called the service manager 10/2/2015. The service manager told me he would look into the matter & return my call in 15 minutes. He never called back. Toyota has only issued a tsb about this issue to dealers/mechanics, thus owners may not be aware that oil is being burned off as the excess smoke is absorbed by the catalytic converter, which causes causes premature failure of that par as well. This needs to be a recall item. If a car doing 70mph has an engine failure due to loss of oil then the person will loose steering and brake control leading to a serious accident or death. This is a mechanical issue as well as a safety issue.

- Eagle, WI, USA

Jun 202013

Dear officer, I would like to bring your attention to a serious flaw with certain Toyota models related to excessive oil consumption. Bowing down to the thousands of consumer complaints early this year Toyota accepted that it is issue with their engine design which can put engine on fire or make the car completely useless after seize. Toyota indicated that they would provide parts early this spring, yet it is the end of June, and Toyota (a giant car manufacturer) still does not have parts to fix the serious problem Toyota consumers are suffering thru every day. The issue: Certain Toyota model cars burn excessive oil. The proof of issue(from internet) 1. Toyota engine excessive oil consumption 2. Toyota named in class action lawsuit over excessive oil usage 3. excessive oil consumption on 2az-fe engine 4. class action lawsuit filed over Toyota oil consumption 5. "all Toyota burn engine oil!" and "burning 1 litre of engine... the impact: Life endangerment, risk of engine fire, people left stranded in the middle of nowhere, constant strain of checking the oil every few days, financial losses to consumers and heavy impact on environmental pollution Toyota response: Delay in accepting the responsibility, cannot arrange parts for repair, test method puts consumer at risk. The request for solution: The american Toyota consumers are looking for the government concerned organization to take stringent actions against Toyota America to protect the lives and money against such practices and provide safe environment. If the governing bodies don't do anything, it will be encouragement for other car manufactures, and will have drastic impact on the lives of millions of american. Thank you!

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jun 042012

Excessive consumption of oil. It was first noticed approximately 3+ years ago it was noticed when car oil light came on and car was almost totally out of oil. At approximately 2,000 miles after an oil change, it is necessary to add 2-3 quarts of oil. This has been occurring after every oil change. Toyota recently tested and after 1,664 miles from the last oil change, 3 quarts of oil was needed to top it off. It did fail the oil consumption test. I want to know why Toyota is not extending car warranty as is Honda for the same problem.

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Dec 012014

Excessive oil consumption on the Rav4 is one quart at 1,100 miles that the local Toyota dealership will not repair although the head Toyota motor corporation as release a technical service bullentin specific for this problem. Local dealership claims this is "normal" for a car??

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 012015

When my car had just under 100K miles on it I started experiencing the following oil usage levels: •two oil changes ago the oil light came on between oil changes; oil did not register on the dipstick and it took approximately 4 quarts of oil before oil even registered on the dipstick. •one oil change ago I checked the oil after approximately 2K miles and oil did not register on the dipstick. It took approximately 3 quarts of oil before oil registered above the lowest marking on the dipstick. I received Toyota's warranty extension notice and scheduled the excessive oil usage test. On March 7, 2015, part 1 of Toyota's technical service bulletin test was performed; I did not stay with the car while the oil change was performed. On April 13, 2015, the second part of the test was performed. I was surprised to be informed my car did not meet Toyota's specifications for excessive oil usage as I had not used a full quart of oil in the 1,100 miles since the oil change. I was told the dealership would perform no further action and my next alternative would be to contact Toyota's regional or corporate office. I continue to experience oil usage at excessive rates; however, based on Toyota's stance thus far, my oil usage is not considered excessive.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Feb 272012

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

Oil light came on indicating low oil although the car had been serviced at a local shop within in the last month. It then became a problem with continually having to stop there and "topping off" although I was going there when the "maintenance" light came on. It would need 1 to 2 quarts each time. Have to carry oil all the time in my car as even though we check it fairly often, every 1 to 2 weeks. It always needs oil. The shop wanted to diagnose the problem for me, but now I can see it is a very widespread problem which I feel should have been addressed years ago.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Feb 022015

RAV4 4-cyl

Problema con sistema de frenar el auto Rav4 el pededal de freno pierde precion baja hasta el fondo. Cual hay que estar aplicando varias veces el pedal freno para mantener pecion en el frenado de el auto. El cosumo de aceite exsesivo.en el motor.el control del volante sonido fuerte al giirar.

- Coamo, PR, USA

Dec 102012

I have the Rav4 2006 4 cylinder motor. Valve loud all the time, and yaris. All time. Toyota in me said the only thing that was reset Tacoma that was the same problem.

- Coamo, PR, USA

Jan 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Rav4. While driving at approximately 25 mph, the vsc and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the computer software needed to be updated. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jan 132015

RAV4 4-cyl

Vehicle suddenly started consuming large amounts of oil, approximately 1 quart per 1,000 miles. Oil has been changed at regular intervals and vehicle has been well taken care of in terms of regular maintenance intervals.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 012006

I brought my 2006 Rav4 to the Toyota dealership for two different recall notices including the suspension and airbag. Upon inspection, they notified me the water pump needed replacing and that the steering column brackets were loose. They said this is a common problem and tried to tell me that it is caused by normal wear & tear. My last vehicle I had for over 190,000 miles and never had this problem. Upon researching, this seems to be a common problem. I was told this problem needs to be fixed immediately as failure to fix it could result in loss of steering control. Previously I have brought the loud popping noise to various Toyota dealerships and have never been told of this issue in 9 years. This issue would not have been caught if is wasn't for the recall on the airbag. Anything that appears to be a "common" issue in a vehicle that can result in loss of steering is a serious safety issue and should be recalled and fixed by Toyota at no cost to the consumer. The cost is estimated at $600+ to repair.

- Beaverton, OR, USA