2007 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Jan 252016

Driving 50 mpg around curve in heavy traffic steering locked up hardly able to side of road. Happened again today 2 times and happened at least 5 times before in the past 3 months.steering froze had to get of to the side and restart then it was able to steer but battery.light flickers. Three other lights on the left of the dashboard stayed on after restarting the vehicle. Went to pep-boys and I was asked to replace the battery due to low voltage. Battery was replaced and one day later same thing happened again.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jan 182016

Driving on the highway going about 75mph after about 5 hours when a bunch of warning lights came on (including battery, air bag, and brake), my power steering failed and my speedometer quit working. Pulled over on the side of the highway and let my car sit for a minute, restarted my car and three different lights came on (vsc, check engine and slip indicator) and my cruise control wouldn't work anymore. My car currently has about 110,000 miles. This is not a wear and tear issue; this is a defect. From reading online, there are many complaints of the same issue. This could be a fatal defect and should be taken seriously. This is the second time my power steering has failed while driving.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jul 012015

Driving 55 mpg around curve in heavy traffic steering locked up hardly able to side of road. Happened again today July 25 2015 going 60 down busy hey rush hour traffic and steering froze had to get of to the side and restart then it was able to steer but battery.light flickers ha D battery lreplaced day before.

- Albany, OR, USA

Apr 152011

2007 Toyota Rav4 rear speed sensors can abruptly fail during poor climate, causing failure to the vehicle stability control, ABS, and traction control systems. Toyota has refused to acknowledge that failure of this part is common, which is especially dangerous when driving conditions are poor.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 012007

When driving for longs periods, and some short periods including coming home from the dealer when the vehicle was brand new, the check engine, stability control, and 4WD lights come on in the cluster. The cruise control, 4WD, and stability control do not function when this happens. The dealer claims they could not find any codes and cannot fix it. This has been going on since March of 2007, and the warranty has expired. I feel this is a huge safety concern, as I have heard of other Toyota vehicles doing the same thing, and stability control is a safety feature.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Dec 012011

2007 rav 4 had 3 lights turned on (check engine light, stability control light and 4 wheel drive light), shortly after the lights came on, the brakes failed. Rav4 was taken to Toyota delearship for repair and after the technicians being confused by the lights, they determined that the brake booster had failed. This issue is similar to the recent highlinder recall and I feel people's safety is at stake with the brakes failing.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 232010

RAV4 6-cyl

My 2007 6 cyl Rav4 has under 30K miles on it. Was fine and after sitting un-driven in my garage for 3 weeks, now the check engine light, vsc, and 4 wheel drive lights stay on. The transmission no longer shifts into overdrive (stays in 4th gear) at highway speeds. Random delayed acceleration when making slow speed turns (usually at intersections or passing in slow moving rush-hour traffic) resulting in sudden acceleration. No accident - yet. Have appointment to have the dealer look at it.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Mar 262010

Check engine light, vehicle stability control (vsc) light & car slipping light on & off while driving. Toyota dealer replaced oxy sensor & vsc computer, but still happens. Toyota doesn't have an answer. Vsc seem to work when lights are off, but understand that won't work when lights are on. Seems to be a problem with these vehicles as I've seem many complaints & questions from other vehicle owners on internet. Not having vsc working is great cause for concern in an SUV as SUV may roll causing injuries/death. Thank you.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Mar 012010

I own a 2007 Toyota Rav4 with approximately 27,000 miles on it. I was pulling out of my drive way(about a week ago 3/1/10) and the power steering light came on and I was unable to steer, I turned the engine off and waited a few minutes and restarted the car. The light went off and it has been doing fine since then. I am very concerned about this happening while going down the road!

- Mt. Pleasant, TN, USA

Feb 192010

In March of 2008 I had two occurrences of unintended acceleration with my 2007 six cylinder Toyota Rav4. The first was very frightening as I was stopped at a red light. The car suddenly accelerated and pulled me through the intersection while my foot was on the brake. If there had been a car in front of me or one coming through the intersection I would have crashed. Shortly after that incident a milder less powerful acceleration event happened. I brought the car to the dealer on March 26 08 and they could not duplicate the problem or give a reason for it. The told me to bring it back if the problem recurred. It did not happen again until 2/19/2010. As in the first two incidents, the event happened while stopped at a red light with my foot off the gas pedal. In this case I quickly shut off the motor, or I would have hit the car in front of me. As in the other cases after I restarted the car the problem was over. Our other car is a Camry and I have never have never had this problem with that car or any other car. I brought the car back to the dealer and again no reason for the event was found and there was no remedy offered except possibly a gas pedal over ride if one becomes available. After the long gap in time between the first two events I thought maybe they were a fluke. Now I worry that I may be in an accident or hit a pedestrian. I am no mechanic but I really think that it is some sort of electronic problem. The car was stopped and my foot was off the gas pedal each time the sudden acceleration happened.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

May 152009

I was turning into a driveway with my foot on the brake when my 2007 Rav4 suddenly began to accelerate. The RPM's were over 6000. I took my vehicle into the dealer that day and they performed a diagnostic check but told me they found nothing wrong. I asked what I could do or who I could speak to and they said there nothing unless the vehicle was recalled. This incident happened in May 2009 and when I had the vehicle in just recently for normal maintenance I again was told there was nothing I could do since it is not a part of the recall. Why isn't it" must someone in my family die before someone will make it a part of the recall list" I am taking my vehicle in for a safety check next week.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Jul 062008

Bracket assembly holding charcoal canister and hose and filter came off the vehicle causing the ck engine, vsc light, and the lsd lights all to come on. Brake system malfunctioning.

- Kaplan, LA, USA