2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Oct 012014

RAV4

My 2007 Toyota rav 4 is experiencing excessive oil usage which Toyota knows is a problem with vehicles that has a 2az engine. It is believed that if the engine siezes due to this excessive oil usage for a vehicle that is in motion, the brakes and steering failure could cause loss of control and result in a crash. As such, I believe Toyota should be forced to issue a safety recall to correct this issue immediately.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Mar 272015

RAV4 4-cyl

My car has had every oil change and check up as prescribed. I was about 500 miles away from next required oil change. I noticed when I stepped on brake the oil light came on. Pulled into gas station and was told there was no oil in the car. They added 3 quarts of oil. I called Toyota and brought car in. They added 4/5 quarts of oil, and tapped up everything including dip stick so I could not check the oil. Told me I had to drive 1,100 to 1,300 miles and then come back. I was quite upset, because I was unable to know if oil was leaking again, since they taped the dip stick. Called corporate was told to take tape off dip stick. Have not driven the 1,100 miles but oil is a little below the 2 dots. I called Toyota, told them I had to be in raleigh for work and asked them to just fix the problem. They said I had 2 choices, delay my employment until I hit the 1,100 miles for a re check or leave for raleigh and if oil light comes on have car towed to Toyota. Really, I am 62 and traveling with 2 birds in the heat of the summer. They told me if I get to 1,100 miles and oil is low it does not mean they will fix the problem. They will add more oil so I can get to raleigh and they will call Toyota to see if they will be responsible for repairs. Really? I have to leave for raleigh the 19th of may thanks

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Nov 142014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that it had oil consumption. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Brandon, SD, USA

Apr 092015

RAV4

I was driving on the highway when I noticed my oil light coming on, I pulled over to check knowing I just recently had the oil change about a month ago but I do drive alot, when I checked my dipstick I found no oil on it. This engine seems to be going through oil consumption at a very rapid pace.

- North Port , FL, USA

Apr 032013

RAV4 4-cyl

Over the last few years. My 07 Rav4 has been using excessive oil. Thought it was a leak from below. But no drip on driveway was visible. No signs of a leaks. When the oil was changed, over the course of the years. Their is very heavy blow-by when the engine is running and the oil filler cap is removed. Couple of mechanics have said, this is incorrect.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

May 122014

RAV4 6-cyl

V6 engine makes a rattle noise at startup. It has been identified by the dealer as the vvt camshaft gear. Toyota has a technical service bulletin (T-sb-0094-09) identifying the cause as the intake or exhaust camshaft vvt assembly. However the Lexus division of Toyota has a recall for this exact problem on is and gs models (reference NHTSA campaign number: 13V395000). The consequence is that the loose bolts could cause the vvt gear housing and sprocket to separate and result in the engine stopping while the vehicle is being driven, increasing the risk of a crash. If this is dangerous enough to cause a crash for a Lexus customer, then why isn't this dangerous enough to issue a recall for a Toyota customer. These are the same motors and the customers should be treated as such.

- Seneca, PA, USA

Mar 132015

RAV4 4-cyl

Transmission started to whine, . bearings.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Mar 022015

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption: Checking the oil on this 4 cylinder engine showed that it was down 1 1/2 quarts in only 1,500 miles. The local dealer found no oil leaks.

- Maynard, MA, USA

Mar 032015

RAV4 4-cyl

My vehicle has an oil consumption recall. The vehicle burns oil thus a recall to conduct testing. I took the car to a local Toyota dealership and they were to test the oil consumption. However, they screwed the test results by overfilling the oil to make it look like there was no oil burning once the test was completed. They wanted me to drive between 1200-1400 miles then look at the dip stick. But they overfilled the oil on purpose to effect the results.

- Washougal, WA, USA

Nov 222014

RAV4

Bought the car with 86,226 miles on it. Checked the oil at 91,103 and found only a half a quart of oil in the pan. Changed the oil at that time and then had to add another quart at 92328. Engine is burning way too much oil.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Dec 102013

RAV4 4-cyl

We have noticed excessive oil useage. The vehicle is using appoximately 2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles. The vehicle has approximately 142,000 miles on it.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Sep 192014

RAV4 4-cyl

Was experiencing and intermittent check oil light so I called to make an appointment to have it checked out. The day before the service appointment and driving on the garden state parkway, my engine slowed way down and lost almost all power. The engine started making a very loud noise and would only go about 30 mph. The next day the auto repair shop calls and informs me that I need a new engine. I went with a jasper rebuilt engine which still cost me $6,100 installed.

- Little Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jun 202014

RAV4 4-cyl

Oil changed at Toyota dealership at 83036 miles. At 87750 miles, oil light started to flicker and engine started smoking due to low oil soon after. Added 3 quarts of oil and had oil changed at Toyota dealership on 6/30/14 at 87829. Continued to check and add oil-next routine oil change: 11/19/14 at 93035 miles at Toyota dealership. Within a few months, car was struggling up hills and sounding like it would stall. Emergency oil check-low oil at 94709 miles. Local mechanic had to assist to prevent further damage to vehicle. Received an "excessive oil consumption" notice from Toyota on 2/6/15. Protocol to address malfunctioning engines is to have Toyota verify "excessive oil consumption". customer must pay for oil change in order to begin process, regardless of past evidence to support claims of excessive oil consumption. Dangerous, faulty issues with engines should not be the drivers' responsibility to prove. Especially when the owner has maintained all records to demonstrate proper care of the vehicle.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Jan 022010

RAV4 4-cyl

1. my car uses an alarming amount of oil (1 quart before every 1500 miles). 2. in addition, the oil warning light never comes on. I discovered this defect when I first realized my car was burning an enormous amount of oil, and I was three quarts low just prior to my oil change.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4

I have been bringing my car to a local Toyota dealership for maintenance and repairs for more than a year. During this period my car was covered under manufacturer's warranty. I've had my brakes repaired, several recalls tended to, and many oil changes performed. There was one occasion when I brought my car to a chain auto service store to have an oil change performed. It was at this chain that I was informed that the oil level in my car was dangerously low. I called the local Toyota dealership that I usually bring my car to for maintenance and repairs and was told that they needed to perform an oil consumption test on my car. I brought my car to the dealership on three separate occasions so that they could perform the test. On the final test day I was told that my car was indeed losing abnormally excessive amounts of oil and that the first step to remedying the matter would require taking the engine apart. At this point my manufacturer's warranty has expired and I am now relying on my extended warranty. After researching the problem, I found that the excessive loss of oil in cars like mine is a issue that Toyota is very familiar with. In 2011, Toyota issued a technical service bulletin acknowledging the problem. The Toyota dealership which serviced my car never told me this even though they were aware of the problem. The dealership has told me that the extended warranty may decide not to cover the cost of repair after the engine has been removed and taken apart at which point I would be responsible for paying for the repairs. However, if the repair needed to be done when my car was under manufacturer's warranty, then why didn't the Toyota dealership repair it? the tsb was issued in 2011 and I began bringing my car to them in 2012. I should not have to pay to have my car repaired.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Jul 302014

RAV4 4-cyl

Just after oil change, about one week later and having driven about 500 miles, oil was already one quart low. Since then it varies, but it burns more oil than any car I've ever owned. On average I need to add 2-4 quarts of oil between oil changes, which I perform every 3000 miles. My concern is that the oil consumption will progressively get worse. An obvious defect here somewhere.

- New Holland, PA, USA

Sep 012014

RAV4 4-cyl

I was told that my Rav4 was very low on oil and that I should have it looked at. Though I usually have my oil changed at the Toyota dealership, they never mentioned anything to me about low levels of oil in my car. I learned about the low level of oil when I took my car to a chain to have the oil changed. However, the people at Toyota have been aware of this problem since 2011. I mentioned the issue to the Toyota dealership and they have me return on three separate occasions for oil consumption tests. Now my car has exceeded the manufacturer's warranty and Toyota has informed me that my extended warranty may not cover the cost of repairs even though the car was under manufacturer's warranty before the problem was pointed out to me. I was also informed today that it could cost me $1100-$1200 just to have to engine taken apart. The cost of repairing the vehicle will increase if they take it apart and the problem isn't covered by my extended warranty.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Nov 012014

RAV4 4-cyl

My car is burning excessive oil. The dealership claims they have never heard of such a thing; however, when researched online there is a pending class action lawsuit against Toyota and there was also a service bulletin in 2011 advising the dealerships to remedy problem. At that time my car would have still been under warranty but since it is no longer under warranty the dealership refuses to cover it. They estimate cost between $4-6000.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Jun 102013

RAV4 4-cyl

Subject vehicle has burned excessive oil between oil changes - roughly every 3,500 to 4,000 miles, starting at approximately 45K miles. Between oil changes it is not unusual to put in two to three quarts of oil. Driver carries at least one quart of oil in vehicle at all times to hopefully preclude engine seizure. Oil pressure light flickered one time and driver pulled over to discover oil level was down nearly two full quarts less than 2,000 miles after an oil change.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 282013

RAV4 4-cyl

The car is burning oil and at a rapid pace. My dealer states that it is not burning fast enough to warrant any factory repair. I have to carry oil and check frequently. 60,000 miles now. Two days ago, I thought I saw the oil light flash, it only is a quick flash. I decided to check the oil, it took 4 quarts. No warning except one extremely rapid flash so fast that you're not sure if you saw it. And the car was down four quarts! the oil was put in by a mechanic who couldn't believe it. I should not have to live in fear of the engine seizing up because it has run out of oil. I get my oil changed every 3000 miles as recommended but this car burns oil at an unusual rate. I should not have to check the oil every day but it seem I have no choice. A car with this low mileage should not be burning oil at this rate. Toyota insists that this is normal. If so, then at least have an indicator that shows oil level. Not when it is in dire need to oil.

- Downingtown, PA, USA