2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Jul 252014

RAV4 4-cyl

Third such incident -- two previous in late 2009 -- backing up slowly in parking lot, engine suddenly started to race. I threw the gear shift into neutral, stepping on brake at the same time. Engine continued to race for several seconds (seemed like an eternity); racing finally stopped when I released brake and tapped the brake pedal.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Mar 162013

RAV4 4-cyl

Since I purchased the Rav4 I notice the engine oil was burning out very quickly causing me to run the car on almost no oil. Warning lights only came on when there was no more oil in car. I'm putting in 1 to 3 quarts of oil every two to three months. I have to check oil every week. Took car to dealership told me I had a oil leak but since I did not see any oil leaking at all I got a second opinion and found out about the stuck oil rings that cause catalytic converter.

- Minneola, FL, USA

Jul 142014

RAV4 6-cyl

Vehicle idling and beginning to overheat due to bad water pump at 47,500 miles. Toyota says this is not a warranty issue. If vehicle overheated, could cause fire.

- Amawalk, NY, USA

Jul 022014

RAV4 4-cyl

The oil light blinked on. I was down below a quart on my 2007 Rav4. This is the second time this happened to me. The first time the car was only 5 years old. Toyota performs its engine consumption test and says the vehicle is operating within Toyota specifications yet this is the second time this has happened. I will never buy another Toyota vehicle.

- North Haven, CT, USA

Apr 122008

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption. 1+ quart every 2500 miles. Contacted Toyota corporate and they could careless about it. There are many complaints about this issue on the internet forum. Engine model affected 2az-fe.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Mar 142014

RAV4 6-cyl

Well-maintained 2007 Rav4 (67K miles, no issues in the past) stalled completely while driving 50 mph. Nearly got rear ended as hazard flasher lights did not work at all. All power cuts off to inside of car. Once fan in engine turns off (about 6 minutes) car can start again. Dealership said "dirty throttle body part" so they cleaned it. Happened 2nd time the next week! then dealership replaced entire throttle body assembly. Happened 3rd time the following week! it's at dealership again now. Each time it happens, car is driving and once about 6 minutes passes, I can drive again. Barely have time to get near the shoulder of road.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012013

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption as described in T-sb-0094-11. Had all service done at Toyota dealer since 2007! this is a known defect and now the dealer wants me to pay for the removal and replacement of the pistons and piston rings - totally unacceptable!

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Apr 112014

RAV4 4-cyl

The engine oil consumption is excessive in my Rav4. It is using about a quart or more per 1,000 miles. The Toyota dealer says this is normal oil consumption for this engine. I see many other reports of this same problem being reported on this web site and other owners receiving the same response from their Toyota dealers nationwide. This is not routine and will cause unexpected engine failure and/or engine seizing.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 052014

The car unexpectedly accelerated as I was approaching a red traffic light. My foot was on the brake to slow down when the car's engine revved up and the car kept moving forward with my foot on the brake pedal as far as it could go. The car finally stopped about 6 feet into the intersection. The next morning the car repeated the unexpected acceleration while I was trying to slow down prior to stopping for a stop sign. The driver's side floor mat was removed two or three years ago and was not present that evening or the next morning. I reported this episode to the Toyota dealer and I told him I was afraid to drive the car. The dealer told me the car was out of warranty, but if I wanted have to car towed to the dealership, he would have to technicians check it for historical record of the episode. I was also told I was responsible for towing charges and the cost of the diagnostic analysis. The computerized diagnostic check showed nothing had happened and nothing was wrong with the car. I told the dealer the I was not impressed with the diagnostic test device, as the acceleration did happen and the test set was obviously not checking the source of the problem. I called Toyota customer service telephone number is torrance California, told them my story and asked if Toyota had received any other such complaints. I was told that Toyota could not release that information. I asked what Toyota did with my report of the problem. I was told it went into a Toyota data base. I asked for a copy of Rav4 episodes in the data base. I was told Toyota could not furnish that to me. I then asked for a copy of my report that Toyota entered into the data base. Toyota told me it could not furnish that to me. Toyota seems to discredit reports of this acceleration/safety issue as if it could not possibly happen.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 072014

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption due to bad piston rings installed at time of manufacture. Toyota believes 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable and will not cover repair unless use is over that limit.

- Stanton, CA, USA

Nov 012010

RAV4 6-cyl

Car began smoking from the exhaust. Engine lights came on. Pulled over. No oil. Filled with oiled, waited awhile and was able to drive car home. Later went to dealer and they suspect possible ring or valve failure and was advised to carry oil in the car and check oil level before and after driving to prevent engine seize. Contacted dealer and Toyota, but they claim since it is after the warranty and because we missed some of our scheduled oil changes they would not be responsible. However, I have read of others with the same problem even though they did all their scheduled oil changes.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 042013

RAV4 4-cyl

This car has started to burn oil excessively--around 1 quart for every 600 miles. It has had its oil changed every 5000 miles since it was brand new, along with all recommended service at the recommended intervals at the dealer. Has around 110,000 miles on it.

- Gentry, AR, USA

Sep 022013

RAV4 4-cyl

This car has started to burn oil excessively--around 1 quart for every 600 miles. It has had its oil changed every 5000 miles since it was brand new, along with all recommended service at the recommended intervals.

- Newfield, NY, USA

Oct 112012

Current mileage on car is 114,000. Since car turned 94,000 has had internal oil leak and need to add 2.5 Q of oil approx every 1,500-2,000 miles. My mechanic just found out that in 2011, Toyota put out a service bulletin about excessive oil consumption on this car make and model year, and other Toyota due to a faulty piston assembly. They only cover this repair up until 60,000 miles. This is an engine defect and mileage should have nothing to do with it. Cost to repair is $5,500 according to my Toyota dealer. This should be a recall. Paying over $5,000 for a vehicle repair because of Toyota's faulty engine should be illegal. Please make Toyota pay for this!! this is happening to thousands of people. I spoke with a supervisor at Toyota customer service and he said there was nothing he could do for me (except offer me a slight incentive toward buying a new car - I will never buy a Toyota again!)

- Phoenix, MD, USA

Nov 232012

RAV4 4-cyl

This model Toyota has a record of stuck oil rings causing excessive oil consumption which leads to failure of engine and catalytic converter. See New York times Oct 14,2011 and the hundreds of on line complaints about using one quart of oil every 1 K miles. In November of last year my technician did a complete check with oil change, in Jan this year the oil was down one quart and in Feb. I did another oil change with only two quarts of oil left in the pan when it takes 4-1/2 quarts. I took my rav 4 to the dealer(4-23-2013) I bought it from and without looking at it I was told the oil rings get stuck and I need an engine repair for $3,000 plus tax. I had them check it out and I got a written document with the repair that is needed documented. This "needs" to be a recall item. If a car doing 70mph has an engine failure due to loss of oil then the person will loose steering and brake control leading to a serious accident and most likely death. Toyota did two recalls on my car in April, door switch needed a drop of oil and rear suspension needed to be re-torqued. Made a big deal out of what cost pennies to fix. Now a $3,000 engine repair and we need to go to small claims court or class action suit or plead to you to help us get this a recall item.

- New York, NY, USA

Oct 262013

RAV4 4-cyl

Oil light flashed on then went off. Stopped at a gas station to check oil, there was none in the tank and I had had an oil change less than 1,500 miles prior to this incident. I added 3 quarts of oil to my engine and not 3 weeks later, had to add 2 more quarts because it was empty again! upon further research as to why this keeps happening, I found that this is a common problem with Rav4's model years 2006-2008, and that Toyota is aware of the problem. However, even though they know this is a problem, they are stating that the oil consumption is within Toyota's acceptable limits! how can that be" a car should not go through 3 quarts of oil in 3 weeks! also, Toyota is stating that the only fix for this is to either replace the engine or do a complete engine rebuild to the tune of $5,000-$7,000!! for a car that has less than 80,000 miles on it! if they are aware of the issue, why do they continue to let it be ok" this is a major safety concern that should not be happening to vehicles this young. Luckily it hasn't been for me yet, but for others it has, and Toyota should do their part to fix a defect in their engine design.

- Peru, MA, USA

Nov 292013

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota rav 4 experienced some heavy knocking on Friday Nov. 29th. I took it into kost tire and muffler in clark summit, pa to have then take a quick look at it. They said the engine was full of oil at the time. I drove it approximately 8.5 miles after leaving kost before deciding to have it towed to the Toyota dealership in scranton on Sunday. On Monday morning Toyota said the car arrived with no oil. How could this be? there was no oil in the kost parking lot, in my driveway or on the tow truck bed ( can be verified by all sources). If the car were to have spilt a full engine of oil there would have been some kind of evidence(burning smell, sight of lost oil, car smoking -but there was nothing). Toyota has denied the warranty claim due to what they say is lack of engine lubrication. This is absolutely bogus. After reading some online blog I have seen a number of other customers who own 2007 Rav4's who have had the same exact problem.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 042013

Car is consuming oil, consumes most engine oil in a 1,000 miles. Oil check reveals no oil without any warning oil light. The engine could fail while driving without notice. This is a known problem with 2007 Toyota rav 4S. There should be a recall. Brought it to the dealer and they did not disclose this known problem.

- Pownal, ME, USA

Jan 202013

RAV4 4-cyl

I have noticed multiple occasions since 01/20/13 that my Rav4 has been low on oil. I have had it checked, and have checked it myself, and have found it to be so low it doesn't even register on the dipstick, and only after driving less than 1000 miles. Each time this has happened I have had to add anywhere from 1-3 quarts of oil to get it to where it should be on the dipstick. There are no leaks under the vehicle, and there's no noticeable smoke coming from the exhaust. I have been advised by my mechanic that this is an ongoing problem with multiple years of Rav4 vehicles. I am scared to continue driving, with having to constantly check the oil, but I have no choice as I don't have a second vehicle. I feel Toyota has left me holding the bag for a defect they won't admit is their faulty equipment/engineering.

- Alexandria, PA, USA

Nov 252013

RAV4 4-cyl

My son was driving home from work when the car stopped performing properly. Shaking and no acceleration. He had to reduce speed and wave people past him on a 2-lane road. I took the car to the mechanic, the next day with the same difficulty. Drove with hazard lights on. My mechanic reported the car had less than 1 quart of oil, and the engine was blown. I felt that was not possible. Never any oil in driveway. Oil had been changed within last 4 months and 4000 miles. The car has less than 63000 miles and has been maintained. The check engine oil light never came on. It makes no sense. Cost for new engine is $7,000. I did some research. Google "Toyota oil consumption issue". numerous reports of the exact same issue. Toyota even has a service bulletin T-sb-0094-11 that describes this very issue for this very make and VIN. Only it isn't a recall, and unless you are a dealer service center you do not receive the bulletin. So unfortunately, the way Toyota is handling this, you learn about this issue only after the car gives out. This is outrageous. My 18 year old daughter used this vehicle to drive to school every day! with my 16 and 13 year old sons as passengers! it is plain luck that the car didn't give out while she was driving them all in rush hour morning traffic. This engine defect is all well documented. It seems like Toyota is ducking and dodging responsibility for a defect they acknowledged in their very own service bulletin" how is this possible" *updated 12/17/13

- West Chester, PA, USA