2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 282013

RAV4 4-cyl

The car is burning oil and at a rapid pace. My dealer states that it is not burning fast enough to warrant any factory repair. I have to carry oil and check frequently. 60,000 miles now. Two days ago, I thought I saw the oil light flash, it only is a quick flash. I decided to check the oil, it took 4 quarts. No warning except one extremely rapid flash so fast that you're not sure if you saw it. And the car was down four quarts! the oil was put in by a mechanic who couldn't believe it. I should not have to live in fear of the engine seizing up because it has run out of oil. I get my oil changed every 3000 miles as recommended but this car burns oil at an unusual rate. I should not have to check the oil every day but it seem I have no choice. A car with this low mileage should not be burning oil at this rate. Toyota insists that this is normal. If so, then at least have an indicator that shows oil level. Not when it is in dire need to oil.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jan 152014

RAV4

92,564 miles 12/05/13 had oil change. Sometime after that oil change, but before next scheduled oil change oil light came on and took car to dealer to check. They topped off oil and instructed me to come back in 1000 mile intervals to do consumption tests. I followed their direction and came back for several consumption tests. They topped off oil I believe one time for quart one time for quart. They informed me this was "normal oil consumption per Toyota specs for this engine? and that I no longer needed to come in for tests. 96,546 miles 3/19/14 had oil change, there was no mention of oil levels. 99,434 miles 5/23/14 oil light came on, took car immediately to dealer, was told "vehicle had a quart of oil left: It has been 3,000 miles since last oil change. This is normal technician topped off oil. The oil light has not come back on since this time. 101,628 miles 7/23/14 went in for oil change. No mention of oil levels. Was told to top off oil half way through till next scheduled maintenance. After around 2500 miles checked oil and added 3 quarts of oil, checked again before going in for 5000 mile oil change and added 2 quarts. 106,232 miles 11/06/14 went in for oil change insisting that this can not be "normal" oil consumption need to have the engine checked out. Dealer recommending that we do consumption tests again. Being told that anything that needs to be done to address oil problems will not be covered under warranty.

- Media, PA, USA

Aug 162012

RAV4

I change my oil every 3,0000 miles even synthetic oil recommends that 5000 miles are dealers recommended and car can run even longer on a full synthetic oil. But no matter what they say I change mine every 3000 miles. For last many oil change I find my oil level to be very very low. I mean almost 1 and a half court down, in less then 30000 miles. Funny thing is I put half court of oil between the 3000 miles driven on oil changes. So theoretically it was 2 qt down from oil. This problem I started to notice around 60,000 miles on the engine. There is no leaks. I have good understanding of cars as I have worked on Honda Accord and Camry from older models. I have changed steering pump to gaskets to speed sensors and many more on cars. I can assure that this car does not have any leaks except for oil pan get slightly wet around the bolt area because of perhaps needs a seal or new bolt. In total that oil wont add up to more than 10-20 drops in total through out the time of oil change if that. This extreme amount of engine oil burnout seems like a common problem with this car. Too common to believe it was made by Toyota. Im very surprised as to why Toyota won't recognize as their fault. (well not really that surprised).

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Nov 032014

RAV4

My 07 rav 4 has hard/ rough idling issue. The car will (at times) has rough idling issue right at coming to a complete stop. This issue does not occur when ac/heat fan is on. But beside that at times engines feels like it is about to stop and idle falls below 400 RPM shaking or vibrating the whole car for good 3-5 second and then spikes back up just enough to slow down that vibration a bit. At this point my foot is still on brake. No check engine or any other lights on.

- Rowlett , TX, USA

Jun 182014

RAV4 4-cyl

We returned from a trip to reno/California in my Toyota rav 4. I had decided to wait until I returned to change oil since there was only about 3000 or less on the last change, . when we returned and nearing our destination, the oil light came on. In checking the oil, no oil showed on the dipstick. I took the car in for service including changing the transmission oil (about $600 ). a couple of weeks later, I checked the oil and it was down 1 1/2 quarts. I now still have about 2000 miles to go before my car needs another oil change and it was again low and another quart was added. Per my research I find that Toyota has known about this problem and sent out info to dealers in 2011 to fix the problem if it is still under warranty. According to what I've read, it requires a piston to be replaced. Toyota has totally ignored this problem and I find that it seems to be common on Rav4's.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jul 312014

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 started to consume copious amounts of oil. There are no signs of oil leakage and no smoke from the exhaust pipe. I always have the oil changed at a Toyota dealer since I purchased the car new. After my recent oil change, I drove approximately 1,500 miles and had to put in 2 quarts of oil. I assumed this was a fluke and Toyota did not fill the oil up. But now again, I drove another 1,500 miles and this time it was bone dry on the dip stick. I did not receive a low oil light. I added another 2 quarts of oil to bring it up to the bottom line.

- Grayslake, IL, USA

Aug 192014

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the oil warning indicator illuminated and oil was leaking from the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was not due for an oil change until another 600 miles. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure and placed the vehicle under a 1,000 mile oil consumption test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 10/30/14 updated 7/9/2015

- Southington, CT, USA

Jul 262014

RAV4 6-cyl

The external oil pressure line to the rear cylinder head busted while driving on the interstate. This caused the engine to completely dump all 6 quarts of motor oil onto the highway. Fortunate for me I was only 0.8 miles from an exit with a safe parking lot. I do not know if the oil from my vehicle caused any wrecks on the interstate, however the potential for a motorcycle wreck or any vehicle that had to make a sudden slow down or quick maneuver would be at a high risk of an accident. Not only did this put my engine at risk for catastrophic failure, but it could have been completely avoided. Toyota is not only aware of this problem but have procedures in place to fix the hose when it ruptures. Its not a matter of if the hose will rupture, but when will the oil hose rupture. If I had been informed of the need to replace the hose I would have gladly have had the hose replaced. The least Toyota should do is send every owner of this type of engine with this typed of hose a letter explaining what could possibly happen and what they need to do to prevent this very preventable problem.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Jul 252014

RAV4 4-cyl

Third such incident -- two previous in late 2009 -- backing up slowly in parking lot, engine suddenly started to race. I threw the gear shift into neutral, stepping on brake at the same time. Engine continued to race for several seconds (seemed like an eternity); racing finally stopped when I released brake and tapped the brake pedal.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Mar 162013

RAV4 4-cyl

Since I purchased the Rav4 I notice the engine oil was burning out very quickly causing me to run the car on almost no oil. Warning lights only came on when there was no more oil in car. I'm putting in 1 to 3 quarts of oil every two to three months. I have to check oil every week. Took car to dealership told me I had a oil leak but since I did not see any oil leaking at all I got a second opinion and found out about the stuck oil rings that cause catalytic converter.

- Minneola, FL, USA

Jul 142014

RAV4 6-cyl

Vehicle idling and beginning to overheat due to bad water pump at 47,500 miles. Toyota says this is not a warranty issue. If vehicle overheated, could cause fire.

- Amawalk, NY, USA

Jul 022014

RAV4 4-cyl

The oil light blinked on. I was down below a quart on my 2007 Rav4. This is the second time this happened to me. The first time the car was only 5 years old. Toyota performs its engine consumption test and says the vehicle is operating within Toyota specifications yet this is the second time this has happened. I will never buy another Toyota vehicle.

- North Haven, CT, USA

Apr 122008

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption. 1+ quart every 2500 miles. Contacted Toyota corporate and they could careless about it. There are many complaints about this issue on the internet forum. Engine model affected 2az-fe.

- Morrow, GA, USA

Mar 142014

RAV4 6-cyl

Well-maintained 2007 Rav4 (67K miles, no issues in the past) stalled completely while driving 50 mph. Nearly got rear ended as hazard flasher lights did not work at all. All power cuts off to inside of car. Once fan in engine turns off (about 6 minutes) car can start again. Dealership said "dirty throttle body part" so they cleaned it. Happened 2nd time the next week! then dealership replaced entire throttle body assembly. Happened 3rd time the following week! it's at dealership again now. Each time it happens, car is driving and once about 6 minutes passes, I can drive again. Barely have time to get near the shoulder of road.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 012013

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption as described in T-sb-0094-11. Had all service done at Toyota dealer since 2007! this is a known defect and now the dealer wants me to pay for the removal and replacement of the pistons and piston rings - totally unacceptable!

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Apr 112014

RAV4 4-cyl

The engine oil consumption is excessive in my Rav4. It is using about a quart or more per 1,000 miles. The Toyota dealer says this is normal oil consumption for this engine. I see many other reports of this same problem being reported on this web site and other owners receiving the same response from their Toyota dealers nationwide. This is not routine and will cause unexpected engine failure and/or engine seizing.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 052014

RAV4

The car unexpectedly accelerated as I was approaching a red traffic light. My foot was on the brake to slow down when the car's engine revved up and the car kept moving forward with my foot on the brake pedal as far as it could go. The car finally stopped about 6 feet into the intersection. The next morning the car repeated the unexpected acceleration while I was trying to slow down prior to stopping for a stop sign. The driver's side floor mat was removed two or three years ago and was not present that evening or the next morning. I reported this episode to the Toyota dealer and I told him I was afraid to drive the car. The dealer told me the car was out of warranty, but if I wanted have to car towed to the dealership, he would have to technicians check it for historical record of the episode. I was also told I was responsible for towing charges and the cost of the diagnostic analysis. The computerized diagnostic check showed nothing had happened and nothing was wrong with the car. I told the dealer the I was not impressed with the diagnostic test device, as the acceleration did happen and the test set was obviously not checking the source of the problem. I called Toyota customer service telephone number is torrance California, told them my story and asked if Toyota had received any other such complaints. I was told that Toyota could not release that information. I asked what Toyota did with my report of the problem. I was told it went into a Toyota data base. I asked for a copy of Rav4 episodes in the data base. I was told Toyota could not furnish that to me. I then asked for a copy of my report that Toyota entered into the data base. Toyota told me it could not furnish that to me. Toyota seems to discredit reports of this acceleration/safety issue as if it could not possibly happen.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Mar 072014

RAV4 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption due to bad piston rings installed at time of manufacture. Toyota believes 1 quart per 1,000 miles is acceptable and will not cover repair unless use is over that limit.

- Stanton, CA, USA

Nov 012010

RAV4 6-cyl

Car began smoking from the exhaust. Engine lights came on. Pulled over. No oil. Filled with oiled, waited awhile and was able to drive car home. Later went to dealer and they suspect possible ring or valve failure and was advised to carry oil in the car and check oil level before and after driving to prevent engine seize. Contacted dealer and Toyota, but they claim since it is after the warranty and because we missed some of our scheduled oil changes they would not be responsible. However, I have read of others with the same problem even though they did all their scheduled oil changes.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 042013

RAV4 4-cyl

This car has started to burn oil excessively--around 1 quart for every 600 miles. It has had its oil changed every 5000 miles since it was brand new, along with all recommended service at the recommended intervals at the dealer. Has around 110,000 miles on it.

- Gentry, AR, USA