5.3

2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

May 142012

RAV4

Update from May 15, 2012: As was suggested on another web posting, I retighten the gas cap and the lights went out. I had to actually do it a couple of times before it worked. It's really strange since I refilled the gas tank about a week ago and everything was OK until today. It might have been the weather but who knows.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 232012

RAV4 LTD 3.5L V6

I purchased a 2007 RAV4 which was a certified usd Toyota vehicle from the dealership, less than 9 months ago. I took my Toyota in because the check engine light came on. I was told that my warranty expired less than 5 WEEKS ago and the cost for the repair is in excess of $5000 including taxes! You can imagine my dismay as this is more than a quarter of the cost of the vehicle and my warranty expired a month ago? I refuse to shell out over $5000. That is why I thought I was paying a premium to purchase a certified Toyota from a reputable dealership. Is this the quality I should expect from Toyota when purchasing a certified used vehicle? I was given the run around and the dealership refused to do anything. They could not even guarantee that if I fixed the issues, all would be good.

Issues: P0015 CAMSHAFT POSITION "B" - TIMING OVER-RETARTED P0017 CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION P0300 RANDOM MISFIRES, P0301, P0303, & P0305

We further diagnosed the and found a failure with the ignition coil on cylinder #1 and recommend to replace the coil ($126.90+tx) when removing the valve cover to inspect the camshaft position failure codes ($225.00+tx). We found the camshaft actuator (VVT-i) is failing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts.

We need to Remove and Replace the Exhaust & the Intake VVT-i Gears and Camshaft Housing on both banks of the engine. The cost for the repairs is $4961.21+tx.

I logged a complaint with Toyota Canada and i'm waiting to hear back. NOTHING so far!

- , Toronto, Ontario, canada

Sep 062011

RAV4 Sport 4WD

I have an 07 Rav4 and all the lights came on the other day (Engine/4WD/VSC). I was first told it was the ECU that needed to be replaced and now I am told that it is the Oxygen Sensor that needs to be replaced. I just got this car. It only has 66,000 miles on it. I am pretty disappointed with Toyota. I'm sure they even know if that is the real issue with my car. This seems to be an ongoing issue. I am at the point that I will make a major complaint if I end with other issues because they don't know whats wrong.

- , Waldorf, MD, USA