9.3

$2,353.00

1. have to replace vvti line (2 reports)
  2. engine rebuild or install used (1 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Jun 202012

RAV4 2.4L

Please spread the word,

I recently experienced a catastrophic failure to my engine due to excessive oil consumption on the 2.4 liter Toyota engine. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB-0094-11) describing this issue; however, Toyota is hiding behind the warranty period of 5 years/60000 miles to avoid taking responsibility for a manufacturer defect. My 2007 RAV had 96000 miles on it when the engine died and I have yet to make the final payment. The first indication of anything being wrong was when the oil light came on. When I checked it, the reservoir was empty. The following week, my engine seized.

Toyota will not take responsibility for the mechanical defect that created the oil consumption problem that ultimately led to the engine failure. There are a number of owners that have posted on the Toyota message boards regarding this issue but unless you had this problem within the warranty period, you’re out of luck. They should advertise that their vehicles will not be expected to operate beyond the warranty period even if changing the oil in regular intervals.

With today’s technology, one should not have to monitor the oil level (much less, add oil) on their vehicle between intervals. In addition, if the oil light comes on, it should be in time to warn of a potential failure, not indicate that the damage is already done. If the oil was never changed on a vehicle that was manufactured correctly, it would still have oil in it after tens of thousands of miles with the only concern being the oil would be dirty (not empty).

Please warn owners of this condition and if they are experiencing oil consumption issues, have them contact both the National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTA @ 1-888-327-4236) and The Federal Trade Commission (FTC @ 1-877-382-4357) to log a complaint.

I tried to communicate my concerns through Toyota Customer Service and they made it clear that they would not offer cost assistance even in the form of good will. I will move towards small claims court to get an unbiased review of my situation. I tended to my vehicle as any NORMAL owner would and never did I expect to have such a major repair bill with only 96000 miles on a vehicle that was expected to be of good quality. The 2003 Dodge Durango I traded in to get this RAV is still on the road going strong with well over 100000 miles on it and it was serviced in the same manner.

Owners beware, especially if buying one of these vehicles used.

- , Elma, NY, USA

Feb 192010

RAV4

I always trusted Toyota. I thought that I was purchasing quality when I got my RAV4. Then the recalls started. I thought I was safe because it didn't affect my car. Then my vvti went out and I lost all the oil in my car. Now my investment is worthless and I will have to pay off this car and keep it until it dies because I can never trade it in or sell it. It's resale value is worthless. My wife owns a Honda that has never given her problems and I think I will stick with Honda from now on.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 082010

RAV4 RAV4 3.5L V6

problems started at 16,000 miles when the brakes failed was going to cost me 1,100 dollars not cover under warranty but dealer got Toyota to repair it under good customer relations.at about 43,000 miles the steering started making noise popping while turning again back to the dealer no warranty,they want 1,700.00 dollars to fit it.i called the G/M of the dealership and under the customer relations they covered the repair.here we go again at 63,300 miles the V V T I oil line broke and all the oil in the engine was blown out (lucky for me this happen 200 feet from my driveway and the engine did not receive any damage) .called the dealer and they said that the vvti line went out and the it is not covered under the warranty and no recall. they could not help me out with the cost this time. this is a very big problem with the V6 3.5L engine model 2GR-FE.i looked this up on line and found out many people are having this problem.Google VVTI oil line rav4 and see for yourself thier repair cost me 310.00 dollars. if i were you i would have this repair done its cheaper than a new engine.

- , Yuciapa, CA, USA