2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 212010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated while driving at unknown speeds and depressing the accelerator pedal, the vehicle abnormally accelerated, resulting in a crash. One of the vehicle occupants was injured however, the police did not arrive to the scene. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for an assessment of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 47,000.

- Matteson, IL, USA

Apr 202008

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that three people who regularly drove the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration while driving. After approaching a stop sign, the vehicle suddenly accelerated after she took her foot off of the accelerator pedal. The vehicle slowed down when the brake pedal was engaged. The failure occurred five times between the contact and the other three drivers. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who could not duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 22,000. The current mileage was approximately 37,000.

- Wyoming, MN, USA

Apr 172010

RAV4

-the contact owns a 2007 Toyota rav 4. while traveling 25 mph the contact applied pressure to the brakes and the vehicle suddenly surged forward. The vehicle continued to accelerate until the gear was shifted into neutral and the engine turned off. The vehicle restarted and operated normally. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or serviced at the time of the complaint. The current and failure mileages were 23,000.

- Farmington, CT, USA

Apr 102010

RAV4

2007 Toyota rav 4 sport had an unintentional acceleration while driving home from work, the car sped out of control, I was unable to stop the vehicle because both the brake and gas pedals were compressed. Finally crashed into a brick wall to stop the car.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 152010

RAV4

I turned on the ignition of my 2007 Toyota rav 4 and began to drive into my garage and the vehicle suddenly accelerated and did not slow down upon application of the brake pedal. I pumped the brake fiercely several times to the floor board over the approximately 12-15 feet of garage depth and the Rav4 stopped just as it pushed the wheelbarrel into the wall.. aside from damage to the wall of the garage, the vehicle's bumper was dented and slightly cracked. Airbags did not deploy and there was no bodily trauma or personal injury.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Mar 152010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving approximately 5 mph and attempting to slow down at a stop sign, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact depressed the brake pedal with force to avoid a crash. The vehicle had not been inspected when the complaint was filed. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 16,400.

- Roseburg, OR, USA

Mar 152010

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 V6, defective rear wheel speed control sensor causes erratic ABS, skid control and braking. Sensor failed at under 40,000 miles. Almost $600 to fix and other three could fail too as a result of corrossion from water and salt. Toyota has redesigned the part so that the new one will not be as susceptible to failure, but meanwhile there seems to be a safety issue with the failure of these speed control sensors that should be a recall covered by Toyota rather than an expense born by the owners. It is a design flaw and a safety issue, especially in bad weather when the sudden loss of AWD, ABS, vsc can have serious consequences. Having searched on the internet through various Toyota forums, this seems to be an all to common problem.

- Mayfield Heights, OH, USA

Mar 202010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while sitting idle with the gear in the drive position, the vehicle accelerated while releasing his foot from the brake pedal. He depressed the brake pedal, shifted the vehicle into neutral gear and was able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing; however, the contact was advised that they did not have the proper equipment to adequately diagnose the failure. The contact was concerned that the electrical system malfunctioned. The approximate failure mileage was 26,723 and the current mileage was 27,750.

- Appos, CA, USA

Sep 012008

RAV4

I own a 2007 Rav4. In fall 2008, my husband and I pulled up to a red light behind a pickup truck and stopped the vehicle. My husband had his foot on the brake but, just as he stopped, the car suddenly accelerated. Even though he immediately put both feet on the brake, we ended up hitting the truck in front of us. The accident caused about $1,500 damage to the front end of our car. The truck in front sustained no visible damage, and the driver said don't worry about it and we did not file a police report. After the accident, the vehicle was thoroughly inspected by dowling Toyota of litchfield ct. They did not find anything mechanically or electronically wrong with the car that would cause the unexpected and unstoppable acceleration. They did find some acorns under the hood, and given the lack of any other identifiable cause, they suggested that the sudden acceleration might have been due to the ingestion of a nut into the engine which held the accelerator open. At the time I reluctantly accepted this explanation because our accident was an isolated incident. However, in light of recent events concerning Toyota vehicles, I can¿T help but wonder if our experience with our Rav4 was part of a larger problem. My experience with our 2007 vehicle was eerily similar to those of the affected models that have been recalled. I am hearing on the news that it has taken several years for Toyota to acknowledge the accelerator problem, and I can¿T help but wonder if our accident was related to a similar problem. Please add my vehicle to the list of consumer complaints about accidents involving sudden acceleration.

- Litchfield, CT, USA

Oct 132009

RAV4

Uncontrolled and uncommanded auto acceleration of Toyota 2007 Rav4 with subsequent impact into retaining wall, damages in excess of $3000.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Mar 102010

RAV4

I own a 2007 Toyota Rav4 sport. Since it was new we have had this problem. Toyota says it's normal and is the nature of the beast. Upon accelerating from a stop or accelerating to pass another auto, the throttle does not respond until it suddenly will accelerate hard. Leaving a stop it can be very frightening as we just don't know how hard it will accelerate when it does. Passing is equally frightening, if not more so. When we pull out to pass and step on the accelerator the car does not respond according to pressure on the gas pedal. We've come very close to head-on a couple of times. I kind of gave up on the issue after being turned away by the Toyota dealership where we bought the car until hearing about other Toyota having accelerator problems. Our 2007 is a throttle by wire setup also. I have spoken to other Rav4 owners who have experienced this problem. This can be pretty scary, especially for my wife. The incidents have been ongoing since the rig was new so I don't have a definitive date. I'll put in todays date for record. I would really appreciate a response to this problem. I know you're probably pretty tied up with Toyota problems.

- Round Mountain, NV, USA

Dec 252009

RAV4

2007 Toyota Rav4 when using cruise control on a slight incline the car will start shifting in and out of gears, bucking and jumping and I turn the cruise off immediately. It sounds like the engines going to blow. There are hundreds of people on blog sites complaining about this same problem with their ravs: www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php"T=199996 and townhall-talk.edmunds.com/webx/.F142eee"displayrecent&mktcat=enabler&aid=10364102&pid=3193631&kw=N&synpartner=edmunds&mktid=CJ260233.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 192010

RAV4

In March of 2008 I had two occurrences of unintended acceleration with my 2007 six cylinder Toyota Rav4. The first was very frightening as I was stopped at a red light. The car suddenly accelerated and pulled me through the intersection while my foot was on the brake. If there had been a car in front of me or one coming through the intersection I would have crashed. Shortly after that incident a milder less powerful acceleration event happened. I brought the car to the dealer on March 26 08 and they could not duplicate the problem or give a reason for it. The told me to bring it back if the problem recurred. It did not happen again until 2/19/2010. As in the first two incidents, the event happened while stopped at a red light with my foot off the gas pedal. In this case I quickly shut off the motor, or I would have hit the car in front of me. As in the other cases after I restarted the car the problem was over. Our other car is a Camry and I have never have never had this problem with that car or any other car. I brought the car back to the dealer and again no reason for the event was found and there was no remedy offered except possibly a gas pedal over ride if one becomes available. After the long gap in time between the first two events I thought maybe they were a fluke. Now I worry that I may be in an accident or hit a pedestrian. I am no mechanic but I really think that it is some sort of electronic problem. The car was stopped and my foot was off the gas pedal each time the sudden acceleration happened.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Feb 032008

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. He stated that while driving at 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own. He was able to apply a lot pressure on the brakes to stop the vehicle. The contact had experienced this about 6 times. The vehicle had not been diagnosed and there had been no repairs done to the vehicle at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 2530 and current mileage was 17500.

- Fleshing, MI, USA

Aug 222007

RAV4

When driving there is a delayed throttle response which has led to a sudden acceleration when not expecting it. This happened on different occasions intermittently almost leading to an accident. I called my Toyota dealer on August 22/07, Sept 2007 and then called Toyota on November 1, 2007. I was advised that this sudden delayed acceleration was normal for Toyota as it was because the computer system sends a delayed message and I had to adjust my driving to accommodate it. It has not happened nearly as often as the first few months but does occasionally. It is sudden and frightening when it happens.

- Sherwood, OR, USA

Dec 272009

RAV4

My fiance drives a 2007 Toyota Rav4. This vehicle is currently not within the scope of the Toyota acceleration pedal recall. In December, I was driving her car (she was in the passenger seat), from Massachusetts back to our home in Connecticut. As I merged onto rt 128 in MA, I had to accelerate quickly to get onto the highway. After safely merging onto the highway, I let off the gas pedal as I always do, however noticed the pedal did not release and was stuck down to the floor. My first reaction was to pump the brake, however, that only slowed us down temporarily. I then tried kicking at the gas pedal to see if I could get it to release, however, that also did not work. I then tried pulling the gas pedal up with my hand and it would not budge. Finally, after continuing to pump the brake to slow down, the gas pedal released on its own. I would estimate that it was stuck for 20 seconds. Unfortunately, I did not report the incident right away, however, I called Toyota the day I found out of their recall. This past weekend, I brought the vehicle in for a courtesy inspection, however, Toyota service team said there were no issues. I have called the Toyota hotline multiple times and was only able to get through to someone once. I reported the incident and the Toyota rep on the phone said they would report the incident up the chain... have not heard back from them. I contacted the better business bureau, however, have not made any progress there. My fiance drives the car daily, but we can't trust that this will never happen again. Our only option is to trade-in the vehicle, and we may do so soon, however, this car should not be resold in the market. I am very doubtful that Toyota has solutioned the 'real' issue.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Dec 042008

RAV4

My husband was working out of town on business in ft. Worth, tx. We live in cincinnati, oh. On Dec 4,2008, my husband in his 2007 Toyota rav 4, accelerated at a high rate of speed for about 1/4 mile into his hotel building. This was reported by two eye witnesses (per police report). My husband has no memory of the event. He spent 7 days in the icu and was discharged after 10 days from the hospital. He had one additional surgery and several follow up consultations with several doctors since to determine what caused the accident. Nothing was ever determined. Since the Toyota recall was announced, it may offer an answer as to what happened. His car was destroyed in the accident, but we still have all the information.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 142010

Acceleration incident.

- Norwich, CT, USA

Feb 282010

RAV4

Was stopped in driveway of my home waiting for garage door to open (remote controlled.) then I slowly proceeded towards open garage. The car engine suddenly roared and surged forward on its own. I put all my weight unto the brake which seemed to have little effect then shifted into neutral. Only then did the car seem to normalize. I shut it off and haven't tried to drive it since.

- Clarence Center, NY, USA

May 242009

RAV4

About 8 or 9 months ago, I was doing maybe 45 miles per hour when all of a sudden the rpms went wild, the engine howled, and my 2007 Toyota Rav4 limited sped off as if someone had dumped a boulder on the accelerator pedal. My heart was in my throat as I tried to stop the car. Pressing the brake hard didn't do it. I then stuck my foot underneath the accelerator pedal and pushed up with the toe of my shoe a few times. That worked and subsequently I could depress the brake and the car responded normally. I assumed at the time that maybe the driver's-side floor mat had somehow crept up and impeded the free operation of the pedal, a theory that Toyota headquarters also seemed to find plausible (though not for the Rav4, apparently). So I threw out the mat and didn't replace it with anything. We have dirty carpeting now, but we are alive. Of course, in recent weeks, the world has learned that millions of Toyota are potentially afflicted with a sticky accelerator pedal. Two weeks ago, we drove our car to the dealer, downeast Toyota in brewer, Maine, when it was time for its 60,000-mile service anyway, and we insisted that the accelerator be replaced. We discovered later that they hadn't done so, even though we advised them clearly that we?D had a potentially life-threatening incident involving the accelerator. The reason they will not replace the accelerator, they told my wife, is because Toyota believes that the 2007 Rav4 has no accelerator problems. In other words, our car is not part of the recall, so we're out of luck no matter what I've personally experienced.

- Mount Desert, ME, USA