2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Aug 122009

RAV4 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 4cyl 4 X 4 hesitates for several seconds when I depress the gas pedal. This has been going on since I bought the vehicle new in 2007, but has recently begun to get worse. Today as I attempted to pull into traffic with my wife and two small children in the vehicle, it hesitated and nearly got us into an accident.

- Bend, OR, USA

Jun 142009

RAV4 6-cyl

The throttle in my 2007 Rav4 V6 limited has stuck open three times in the last few months. It happens after I "floor" the accelerator. The first time occurred in my garage as I was trying to start the engine. I had to turn it off. The second time was a week later as I was passing a truck going up a hill on a 3 lane highway. I put on the brakes and tried to get the transmission into neutral as I tried to get to cross two lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. I was successful without getting into an accident, but it was scary. I took the car to a dealer and they said that the throttle body had a leak, so they replaced the seal. I did not experience the problem again for a couple of months until it happened again two days ago. I was accelerating to merge with traffic on a freeway. I applied the brakes and the throttle stopped sticking and quickly returned to normal operation.

- Hansville, WA, USA

Mar 282008

RAV4 6-cyl

The "memory drive feature" on this vehicle is a hazard and skews gas mileage. I own a 2007 Toyota Rav4. I shopped and compared vehicles, prices and consumer guides for more than 2 years. I was not informed of the "driving memory feature" in the computer on the vehicle when considering buying. Vehicle has lag time between the ability to acceleration or take evasive capability to avoid accident or get out of the way to avoid being hit. The memory feature, electronics/computer system develops a memory as to a person's driving "habit". it then becomes confused because every time I drive conditions change, minute to minute, day to day, causing the system to become confused when I ask the car to respond to an exception in driving conditions. My gas mileage epa is listed as 19 to 28 mpg, and I am yet to get 18 mpg once in city driving. I can't even get close to an average of 19 I get 17.5. one highway trip I got 24.9 mpg, and I am an average driver, not a lead foot. I took it to a Toyota dealer here in tucson and they "erased" the memory in the drive computer. It drove well for 2 days then has returned back to the previous erased memory. My gas mileage is worse. I talked with another owner and he told me to take it out of overdrive for in-town driving. If I do that the engine will rpms will not drop if over 40 mph thereby, skewing gas mileage and will damage the engine. So, here I am, paid $26,000 for a car and am so unhappy with the rip off. I would be happier if it was available in a stick shift so I could take the control, but americans are lazy, so Toyota doesn't offer this model in a stick shift.(my preference) the fact that Toyota is not fourth coming with this feature is grounds for fraud. But the new american way is lie by omission. I did call the Toyota complaint line, national number and they took a report and will get back with me. I do not think I should have to spend my time off going to the dealer only to be told the same story.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 272008

RAV4 4WD 4-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 experiences sudden and random instances of uncontrollable acceleration when attempting to stop. Under full brake pressure the engine revs to 4000 RPM and continues to move. When I shift to neutral to stop the vehicle, the engine revs to 6500 RPM. Sometimes it will return to normal idle after a few seconds and sometimes it is necessary to turn off the ignition. It usually restarts normally but occasionally repeats the 6500 RPM. I have taken it to the dealer twice who finds no computer record of a malfunction and reports that " everything meets factory specifications. " I have requested technical assistance from Toyota motor sales but they only refer me back to the dealer.

- Pleasantville, NY, USA

Nov 012006

RAV4 6-cyl

The loud whining sound appear when going from 30 to 45 mph. Loudest at 40mph. While press gas pedal, the sound appear clearly, when release the gas pedal, the sound seems to disappear, press the gas pedal again, the sound come back. It really gives me headache.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Aug 272007

RAV4 4-cyl

Hesitation when trying to press gas pedal usually from a stop. This could cause an accident when I believe I have enough time to get out on main highway from side street and the SUV won't go. Took to dealer, who said normal. Cruise does not work properly on inclines. It will jerk back and forth until cruise turned off. Mechanic rode with me and said this shd not be happening, but Toyota has no fix for it at present; they do not know when. Called Toyota call center. They said this vehicle not meant to use cruise on inclines(so why put it on the vehicle-put on on level road, take off when see hill approaching-what a joke). Never had a vehicle in my life where the cruise was not meant to be used at all points of driving. Told by dealership to wait. This vehicle is new and I do not want to wait.

- Evans, GA, USA

Apr 022007

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

- the contact stated that when the 2007 Toyota rav 4 was test driven on January 3, 2007 the acceleration and control on the vehicle was not stable. At times the vehicle accelerated abruptly even if the accelerator was slightly depressed. Three weeks after the vehicle was purchased he noticed that when depressing the accelerator pedal the vehicle would accelerate, but it would not reach the desired speed. Then after a few seconds the vehicle would accelerate again. The contact stated that when turning corners with the accelerator was depressed the vehicle would speed up. It remained steady for a few seconds at a constant speed then it proceeded to accelerate abruptly. The contact stated that when driving on the highway if another vehicle slowed down in front of the contacts vehicle, trying to speed up again was also a problem. The vehicle accelerated and stayed steady at any given speed, but then after a few seconds it would accelerate to a higher speed without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealership, and was told these vehicles did not have a cable going from the gas pedal to the mechanism that give gas to the vehicle. This system was electric in the 2007 models. The failure mileage was 1,500, and the current mileage was 3,500. Update 5/3/07

- Red Oak, IA, USA