2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 132016

I am the second owner on this car and it has been in for repair 7 times for various recalls. Does the lemon law apply to my car" you have recalled the electrical windows suspension seat belts cruise control what else is coming! claremont Toyota in California had a complete check on the car and I paid 1500 but I still see recalls. What is going on???" I have another appointment for the suspension on Monday 8/15/16

- West Covina, CA, USA

Jan 122016

April, 2015 took Rav4 in for recalls. After receiving the vehicle back periodically it would fail to accelerate. I thought the computer would maybe adjust itself. It didn't. it periodically stalls or fails to accelerate. I have almost been run over several times. Called Toyota of denton today. They denied that anything they did would have anything to do with that, even though we drove the vehicle 60K miles and never had a problem. I have two Toyota and denial of a problem is first on the list it seems. This drive by wire should be outlawed.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Dec 182014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While at a stop light, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle independently accelerated. The contact had to place the vehicle in neutral in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the accelerator pedal was shortened, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Orange, VA, USA

Nov 102014

First noticed the problem on 11/10/2014 when approaching a stop light. The Rav4 took longer than normal to come to a stop with greater force required to stop. Once fully stopped, the vehicle was idling with low RPM's (~500) and the check engine light turned on along with vsc and trac lights. Was able to drive the vehicle home, but experienced the same symptoms at every stop light / stop sign. Contacted Toyota dealership in tucson immediately and scheduled emergency service for the next morning. The Toyota dealership diagnosed the problem with two error codes (P0171 and P0174 - lean air/fuel mix). Was told they suspected a bad tank of gas. Toyota addressed one open recall (service campaign BST - reflash brake control computer) on my vehicle but did not investigate the error codes, only cleared them. The following day while driving home, the same issue occurred. Almost no brake pressure and barely able to stop. Check engine light, vsc, and trac lights all illuminated again. Low idle speed as well. Contacted a different local mechanic for a second opinion. Was informed the brake booster needed to be replaced due to damage in the diaphragm causing loss of vacuum pressure (which helped explain the two error codes related to lean air/fuel mix). Total repair bill over $1000. Just lucky nobody was injured due to failing brake system on Toyota's part.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Sep 222014

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While stopped, the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning and crashed into a fence. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 152013

The gas pedal and brake can easily be stepped on at the same time with one foot. I have done this on several occasions, it's just been luck that has prevented me from causing injury damage to myself or others. It does give me a good scare.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

May 122014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota rav 4. the contact stated that the vehicle was stopped with the brakes depressed when it suddenly and erroneously accelerated forward, crashing into the rear of a second vehicle. The contact indicated that the failure had also occurred on a previous occasion. No injuries were reported and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 212013

On March 21st the ABS, vsc, traction and brake warning lights came on while driving at 35 mph in dry weather condition. When the lights were on, the ABS system was triggered making difficult to brake to stop. Since then the warning lights have been on and off and so I've been having difficulties when slowing down at a higher speed rate 60 mph, slow speed 20 mph, and even stopping. On Tuesday, April 8 I brought the Rav4 to the dealer and they said that there is nothing wrong with the car and that the breaks were ok. Dealer said: It is just the a rear sensor that needs to be reset. So dealer technician reset the sensor the same day. On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 around 6:00 pm when turning left at a corner I heard a ticking noise then four warning lights appeared again and the breaks started to malfunction again. I'll bring the Rav4 to the dealer on April 12, 2014 and see what they have to say. The codes the dealer have initially were C0210 and C1223. My spouse and I don't want to drive the Rav4 without knowing that the sensor that the dealer talks about is either fixed or replaced. I don't want to be exposed nor expose my family to any possible accident due to the sensor/braking system failure.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Oct 082011

In the fall of 2011, the vsc and 4WD lights came on in my 2007 Rav4. At the same time my cruise control and 4WD stopped working. I took my car to teton Toyota in Idaho falls, id and was told that the charcoal canister was cracked and needed to be replaced at a cost of $1775. I could not afford to fix the car and eventually I purchased a used charcoal canister and had it installed by an independent mechanic. Then in Feb. 2012, the lights came on again so I took my car to stones Toyota in rexburg, id. The mechanic there confirmed that the charcoal canister was cracked again. I told him that I had replaced it with a used part and he stated that Toyota had redesigned the part so that it wouldn't crack, so if I wanted to fix the problem for good, I'd have to purchase the new part. I have not yet replaced the unit at this time. If Toyota knew that the original part was defective and have now redesigned it, why are they charging their customers over $1500 to replace it? besides not having any 4WD in rural Idaho in the winter, the emissions system is no longer working due to this defective part.

- Driggs, ID, USA

Mar 032014

RAV4 6-cyl

I was stopped at a stop sign here in town. All of a sudden, without warning, the vehicle started to experience a high degree of acceleration. My foot was firmly planted on the brake pedal only. I could not stop the vehicle till I put it in neutral. The engine then started to rev itself up uncontrollably, until I turned it off with the ignition key. I was a good 15 feet into oncoming traffic when I had stopped. I then started it up again and drove home without incident. This was a total failure of the cars expectation to remain stationary while the brake is applied and the vehicle was not moving prior to the acceleration surge.

- Suffern, NY, USA

Aug 182013

RAV4 6-cyl

I have just experienced sudden acceleration while pulling into a parking spot. I slammed on the brake and it didn't want to stop. I ended up bumping the car in front of me as I continued to brake. The engine was still surging and wouldn't go into reverse. I called mountain states Toyota here in denver and explained the problems to the service manager. He told me that he had never heard of such a thing. There are numerous complaints with the same issue on the internet. The service manager, of course, is telling me that if they cannot reproduce it and it is not showing error codes(which it isn't) there isn't anything they can do. I told him I wanted the acceleration system thoroughly inspected...which he wants to charge me for unless they do find an issue. By what I have seen on the internet, it is useless to take it in as Toyota is ignoring the issue, thinking they fixed it with the floor mats. I had the floor mats replaced on that recall well before this issue came up. I have also had many experiences with the engine surging and hesitating with the tach showing the surge. It is intermittent and cannot be reproduced, but it is getting worse over time. I now believe that this is related to the acceleration issue I described above. I am afraid to drive it now as it could happen on a busy street and really hurt someone and me.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Oct 202007

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph the fwd, engine and stability control warning indicators illuminated continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and the oxygen sensor was replaced. On a separate occasion while driving in reverse the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated and the rpms increased. The gear lever was shifted into park and the engine was turned off. The vehicle was previously repaired under a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V113000 (vehicle speed control). The problem existed before the recall and persisted after the recall remedy repair was performed. The vehicle was repaired five times due to the unintended acceleration. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Aug 022013

RAV4 6-cyl

As I was driving home, the check engine, the trac and vsc lights all came on at the same time. I also heard a hissing noise when I pressed down on the brakes. I went to a mechanic to see what the problem might be, but it was late in the day and everyone was closing. He told me it sounded like a vacuum leak in the brake booster and to bring it back first thing Monday (he seemed to think it'd be okay to drive over the weekend). On the drive home the brake light came on and there were a few times where I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stop the car at all. It was quite scary! I was pressing the brake pedal as hard as I could and then it finally grabbed, the car jerked, and the seat belts tightened up around me. I worked today (Saturday) and the same thing happened to and from work, only now I am using the emergency brake to slow the car and I put it in park at stop lights. My next trip will be straight to a mechanic! it seems it is not common for brake boosters to fail and I am learning that other Toyota Rav4 owners have had the same problem, several ending in accidents. This should definitely be addressed by Toyota, as it is a huge safely issue, and possibly be cause for a recall.

- Richardson, TX, USA

May 072013

RAV4 4-cyl

The car sputters as though it will stall or break down. This occurs during acceleration. It is especially noticeable when driving up a hill, but it occurs randomly.

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Jun 252013

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact received three recall notices in the mail several months ago and stated the dealer did not have the parts for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 222013

RAV4 4-cyl

Unintended acceleration. My husband was driving our 2007 Toyota rav 4 out of a tollbooth area and accelerating normally, when the car started rapidly accelerating on its own. He stepped hard on the brakes but could not get the car below 40 mph. He shifted into neutral and gradually the car slowed and he moved to the breakdown lane. He removed the keys from the ignition, and the vehicle finally stopped. The entire incident from start to finish happened over the course of about 3 miles of highway. He gave a full account of this to our local Toyota dealer. They did not identify the cause of the problem, but acknowledged that it was not due to floor mats. The car's brakes--both pads and rotors--were destroyed during the incident. We were not comfortable driving it again. The dealership brought back the car back from us at kelly blue book value.

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Mar 072013

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact was able to stop the vehicle by turning off the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the failure could not be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 5/9/13 updated 05/24/2013

- Shawno, WI, USA

Jan 092013

RAV4 6-cyl

On Jan 9, 2013 while braking in an attempt to stop for a stop sign, the accelerator pedal stuck causing the car to accelerate through the stop sign. As I continued to break while turning left, the car finally came under control. Fortunately, there were no cars approaching the intersection in either direction nor were there any police present. The floor mat was properly hooked in place. The pedal had been adjusted on July 7, 2011 by anderson Toyota of raleigh, nc in accordance with Toyota's recall at that time.. the next day, Jan 10, 2013 I left the car with anderson for repair. (case # tai30110070) on Jan 17, 2013 I was informed that kevin pilotte a Toyota technical rep cleared the car for return to me. No repairs were made to the car to my knowledge. I was informed by anderson's service mgr that the pedal assembly could have been replaced but that this was not authorized by the rep. I was also told that I would be contacted directly at some point by Toyota. Prior to the 2011 recall, I experienced one similar incidence with the pedal but did not report it because I received the recall procedure which I thought took care of the problem. Since I have experienced this problem twice since 2007, obviously it is an intermittent problem but an extremely serious one that can cause injury or loss of life. I will appreciate whatever NHTSA can do to influence Toyota to make an appropriate repair. Information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 082012

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while parking the vehicle with the brakes engaged, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle crashed into a wall. The contact mentioned that the brakes did not fail and there were extensive damages to the front of the vehicle. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The police was not notified. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who sent a representative to inspect the vehicle. The engineer was unable to diagnose the failure and stated that the vehicle was working as design. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Ridgefield, CT, USA

May 022012

RAV4 6-cyl

After coming to a complete stop, engine accelerated on its own without pushing on the gas pedal. This was after the recall for the floor mats. The acceleration had enough "G" force to pin the occupants back in their seats. Driver was fortunate that no traffic was ahead. Rapid acceleration appeared to stop after pushing on the gas pedal. Toyota appears to attribute all these incidents to the floor mats. An acceleration that pins you back in the seat --floor mat does not have enough density to accomplish this. This has happened numerous times in the 2 years we have owned this vehicle. Most occurrences have been more subtle than the one described here.

- Avondale, AZ, USA