2007 Toyota RAV4 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Mar 162011

RAV4 4-cyl

My airbag light came on and I took it in. They could not fix the problem even after the recall on the airbags were fixed. The light remain on. The attendant told me that the car would be alright and don't worry about the light. Six months later I took it in again and they said it would be $447 to repair. They did not have the part and would have to order it. I took in again about seven to eight months later I ask them to check it again to make sure it was alright to travel in which I travel alot. The guy never told me that with this kind of problem the airbags will not deploy if I have an accident. I call Toyota and told them I have been riding around with a dangerous car and no one there took the time to tell me it is a problem and my family was in danger. I feel I should not have to pay for something they told me it was safe to drive. Please advise me of what to do next. I only deal with keith pierson Toyota jacksonville Florida.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Oct 262012

RAV4 4-cyl

Took my 07 rav 4 sport in to dealership for airbag sensor recall on 10-26-12. This was accomplished. The airbag icon had been staying on constantly since 10-21-12. Still on after recall work was done. Told by service dept. What by now is a familiar story. The problem would not be pursued without a diagnostic test at $87.50 which would be applied to the cost of parts and labor. How generous is that" also told spiral cable most likely the problem. So unless I am missing something it works out to hand dealership a blank check or take your chances airbag may or may not deploy as designed. Now if the recalled sensor wasn't designed to fail and it will be covered even if warranty has expired what's so different about a faulty spiral cable failing after warranty has expired? I am going to take a wild guess here and suggest Toyota has someone tasked to read these complaints to stay informed of Toyota owner sentiment. So this is for you! how many incidents with or without injuries or worse have to happen before Toyota does the right thing and corrects the airbag issues and quits hiding behind the expired warranty excuse? Toyota did not become a key player in the auto industry by behaving like this.what has changed" next step take it viral using all available media!

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 012012

RAV4

Air bag sensor light illuminated approx 6 weeks back. I called the dealership and they said a vehicle recall had been issued for my vehicle, due to the air bag curtain sensor. Took vehicle to dealership; recall work was done. Less than 1 mile driving, the light came back on. Took vehicle back and after 3-4 hours of troubleshooting I was told that the spiral/coil cable behind the steering wheel was at fault and parts and labor would come to $530. Did an internet search on '07-08 Rav4, and was surprised to find more problems with the spiral/coil cable than with the curtain sensor. In several cases, owners had taken the vehicle in for the recall and were told the same I was (needed a new spiral/coil cable). After reading all the deployments of Rav4 airbags while the vehicle is not moving nor impacted; I have no confidence that the airbag system is reliable. Is there a larger issue with the airbags?

- Maricopa, AZ, USA

Sep 182012

RAV4 4-cyl

I was driving down forest ave in brockton, MA, the driver side door stated smoking, I quickly turned the engine off, got me and my son out of the car and called the fire department who disconnected the battery and suggested that I got it towed to a repair shop. So I did, to copland toyoyta where it was troubleshoot to a master switch ass. It was repaired and I had to pay $580.70 because they said its not covered by warranty.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Aug 152012

RAV4 6-cyl

The air bag warning light went on and I took it to the dealer - they said it was the spiral cable for the driver's side front air bag which needed to be replaced for over $500. This was after the car had already been the subject of another airbag-related recall.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Aug 032012

RAV4

My wife was driving a 2007 rva 4 limited when the car ahead of her suddenly stopped. Speed was 25 to 30 mph in stop and go traffic. She braked and collided with the car ahead of her. My wife was able to catch herself and was sitting up right when the air bags deployed. There was a delay in the airbags by several seconds after the front collision. Soon after the airbags deployed, thick black smoke came up through the steering column. My wife evacuated the car and within five minutes the car was totally engulfed in flames. I am concerned on the delay in airbag deployment and the fire and speed at which it spread. We loved our rav but have a concern about buying any Toyota product.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Jul 072012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While parked, the contact noticed that the air bag light illuminated on the instrument panel. The air bag warning light was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V245000 (air bags:side/window) that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 252012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the spiral cable for the air bag circuit malfunction and the spiral cable would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Westminster, SC, USA

May 102012

RAV4 4-cyl

SRS warning light comes on when car is put in gear and remains on. The Toyota dealership technician stated the code indicated by computer analysis is B1801. Spiral cable and air bag sensor need to be replaced for a cost of $933.31 parts, labor and tax. It seems this problem is occurring with some frequency, evident from prior complaints and comments on automotive websites, and that Toyota technicians are aware of it.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Apr 272012

RAV4 4-cyl

My air bag sensor light came on approximately at 128,824 miles. Just after my extended warranty ran out. Diagnostic test indicated that the spiral cable in the steering column has failed. Part number is 84306-22010. According to the service rep at the dealership, this failure in not an unknown problem. Parts are $272 and labor will be $150+ tax. After doing some research, this is a common problem with several Toyota models.according to Toyota when I called there have been recalls on the other models but have not been enough complaints against the Rav4 to issue a recall. So what is it going to take to get this thing recalled" I am fortunate enough to be able to have the money at this time, but am wondering how many people that cannot afford this repair are driving Toyota's around with an inoperative air bag"

- Oakland, TN, USA

Nov 152011

RAV4

On 11/15/2011 I was driving my 2007 Toyota rav 4 and I ran over a wood on the roadway. My passenger curtain side airbag deployed almost causing me to lose control of my auto. I brought my auto to my insurance claim department ( travers) and I got a inspection and quoted a price of $2959.98. My auto has no damage to it other then the airbag deployment. I got it fixed and a few days later I receive a letter from Toyota stating they have a recall on the curtain side airbag and that they were deploying because of the sensors. My insurance company has been trying to have Toyota accept responsible for this but Toyota says because I got it fixed before they could look it, they will not accept responsible and I am out of luck.I would like Toyota to claim responsible for the airbag deployment because they sent me the recall notice for the same airbag that I had the problem with.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Nov 152011

RAV4 6-cyl

Spiral cable failure in steering column causing airbag malfunction indicator light. Toyota charging to repair when clearly they are having problems in many Rav4's with this issue. This should be a safety recall. $500+ for repair.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 062011

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota rav 4. the contact was driving 51 mph when the driver side curtain air bag deployed without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who advised that they would contact her at a later date. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was unknown.

- Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Nov 252011

RAV4 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Rav4 was waiting to turn left when it was impacted by a 2004 Ford F-150 on the front/left side lifting and turning the vehicle clockwise hitting 1st a 2000 Ford mustang with the front/right side and then hitting the right front door against a 2008 Nissan quest. None of the airbags on the Toyota Rav4 deployed.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Aug 172011

RAV4 6-cyl

Quoted from Toyota service invoice " air bag light on: 140603 B1801 stored air bag light on. Found open circuit in spiral cable rec replacing " ( $530).

- Middletown, CT, USA

Apr 022009

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact was driving approximately 45 mph and attempting to make a turn when suddenly an opposing vehicle crashed into the front passenger side door. The airbags did not deploy. The contact suffered from a concussion. The vehicle was repaired. The technician was unable to determine the cause of failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,100.

- Chula Vista , CA, USA

Oct 232010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota rav-4. the contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle abnormally accelerated and crashed through a fence and then an embankment. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and back. The contact turned the vehicle off while still in motion. The vehicle sustained damage to the front end. A police report was available. The contact did not call the manufacturer regarding the crash. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 32,000.

- Albany, OH, USA

Apr 282010

RAV4

TL - the driver owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving 35 mph another vehicle crashed into the rear of his vehicle and the air bag did not deploy. The passenger had back injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic shop for repair. The vehicle was being repaired as of the time of the report. The failure and current mileage were 36,250. Vwb

- Reidsville, WV, USA

Jun 172009

RAV4

At low RPM the accelerator and/or the transmission has a noticeable lag. This occurs approx 50 % of the time. Several times it has put me into a dangerous situation when trying to blend into traffic. Most recently I was taking my son to college and was almost hit by a truck on the penn turnpike. I have brought it in twice to the dealer only to be told that a road test showed "normal operation of the accelerator". I recently did a web search and found that Toyota has stopped selling rav 4 with V6 engines in australia for just this problem. In June, while also driving my son to college I had the air conditioner on for about 4 hours of a 11 hour drive. The driver side floor, and to a lesser extent the passenger side floor, flooded. Upon my arrival I dried it out the best I could using hotel towels. A musty smell lasted about a day or two then subsided. Driving back home several days later it rained for most of the trip and again the car flooded. I brought it to the dealer since it was under warranty. They told me that weep vents under the vehicle for the air conditioner and moon roof were clogged thereby directing the water into the vehicle. The cleaned it up as best they could but that the musty smell was stronger now. To get rid of that would require pulling the seats and rugs to properly clean the vehicle and that would cost approx $250. I opted not to do that and drove for the next week with the air conditioner on to dehumidify the car. I checked to owners manual and found no mention of cleaning these weep holes/vents, and it is not part of the dealers maintenance policy to clean them. The owners manual did mention that if the floor was to get wet then there was a safety issue with the side airbag and curtain shield airbag activating correctly (page 379 of owners manual). Water may also get into audio components or other electrical components above or under the floor carpet and cause malfunction and it may cause body corrosion.

- Chestnut Hill, MA, USA

Sep 302009

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. While driving 20 mph the side airbags deployed without warrant. The left portion of her chest was bruised from the deployment. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection. No repairs were made because the dealer was waiting for authorization from Toyota to repair the vehicle. The failure and current mileages were 22000.

- Glendale, CA, USA