2007 Toyota RAV4 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 172016

RAV4

After hearing a clunk type sound back in 2012 I took the car to the dealer and found out that the right rear say bar linkage had rusted out. The sway bar was not secure anymore. Fast forward to the fall of 2015 and now I have the same sound...not remembering about prior incident I finally discover that the left sway bar linkage is not rusted off too. Why wouldnt the dealer do boh replacements back then. And by putting only one new one did that put pressure onto the other one. Isnt it odd to have both side of a sway bar link rust out. This problem seems a bit too widespread to ignore.

- Palos Heights, IL, USA

Apr 282016

RAV4

I was driving on a city street in West haven ct (near 195 w spring St) when I heard a metalic noise from the rear of the vehicle and lost control of the car, veering into the incoming traffic lane. I was driving < 25 mph and the pavement was dry, and managed to park the car on the side of the road. Fortunately there were no cars in the incoming lane, and there was no injury. My wife was in the passenger seat next to me. Upon inspecting the car, I discovered that the rear right wheel was tilted at an angle relative to the body of the car. I called aaa (time was around 7:45 a.M.) and a towing truck arrived, and towed my car to a nearby garage (robert's service center, Inc., 216 buckingham ave, milford, ct). I did not call police or take a picture. The service supervisor informed me that after inspecting the car, they foud that the rear forward control arm had failed (come apart at the middle). This control arm was the subject of a safety recall by Toyota in 2013, and my vehicle was repaired at girard Toyota in new london, ct, at the time of the recall. The failed arm still had the repair sticker on it. The shop removed and replaced the failed control arm and the one that was still intact on the left rear wheel. The car is now drivable. I believe that the outcome is likely to have been catastrophic if it had happened on the highway. I reported the incident to Toyota and was given the case number 1604300620. I spoke to a case manager, Mr. Thorn. My intentions were to; 1) alert Toyota that a recall fix has failed on my car; 2) I wanted a Toyota dealer to inspect my car for an independent evaluation and to assure safety of the vehicle; 3) reimburse me for the cost of repairs. He acknowledged receiving the information, but indicated that a Toyota dealer cannot guarantee a third party work. He asked me to file my expenses, but with no assurance that it will be honored.

- Orange, CT, USA

Apr 152016

RAV4

The car was recalled in 2014 for the rear control arms. They were replaced in 2014. 2 years later and the part broke again. Had just pulled out of a side street when it broke, so was able to pull to the side of the road. Had car towed to mechanic. Cost $560 to have it replaced. Could have been deadly if I had been on the interstate.

- Gallatin, TN, USA

Mar 012016

RAV4

R/R sway bar end link broken. Upper and intermediate steering shaft broken.

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Dec 072015

RAV4

Stabilizer link on rear of car snapped.. heard load noise.. some rattle also.. dealer replaced both right and left stabilizer links.. was charged $275 for each..

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Oct 032015

Sway bar

- Nashua, NH, USA

Sep 272015

RAV4

There was an intermittent, loud clunk sound from the rear of the vehicle. It was eventually determined that a rear stabilizer link was corroded and failed. Parts on both sides were replaced based on the recommendation of the Toyota service center.

Sep 172015

RAV4

While looking into a rear suspension problem, it was observed that the remedy for recall 13V-383 was not performed properly on one side of the car. Not enough epoxy was used on one end of the suspension arm, so there is a gap in the epoxy that extends to the adjusting tube nut. That side is also out of alignment. The Toyota service center did not redo the fix as requested. The service manager forwarded a photo to a district rep to make a decision. Over two weeks now without a response.

Aug 112015

RAV4

Our 2007 Rav4 was serviced at a Toyota service center on 8/11/2015. The rear alignment was found to be outside of the specified range. The rear suspension arms (tie rods) were inspected and the alignment was adjusted last year as part of recall 13V-383. An epoxy was applied to make these parts non-adjustable and seal them to prevent corrosion that has led to part failures. Both rear tie rods on our vehicle had actually been replaced in January 2012 after such a failure caused us to crash. Correcting the rear alignment now requires replacing these parts again and re-applying the epoxy from recall 13V-383, at the owner's expense. I was quoted $750 + tax ($660 on top of the usual $90 alignment charge). We have not yet had this fixed. I wrote to daniel C. smith of NHTSA in June to point out this problem based on other reports, before realizing our vehicle would have the same issue. If the epoxy does not prevent the part from adjusting outside of specs, how well is it sealing to prevent corrosion? NHTSA informed me that Toyota knows of 19 continued failures in vehicles that had remedy 13V-383 applied (the second remedy for this safety defect). 12 reports were for complete tie rod separation. Toyota should also track these alignment changes as a potential precursor to failures.

May 012015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under a manufacturer recall where all four tires were aligned. The dealer used an epoxy resin on the rear of the vehicle near the tie rod assemblies and the framing. Months later, after the manufacturer recall repair was performed, the vehicle was not able to receive an alignment and two independent mechanics stated that the epoxy prevented the tires from receiving a rear alignment. The contact was informed that only the front alignment could be performed. The vehicle was not repaired and the dealer refused to remedy the removal of the epoxy resin. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 172015

RAV4

Just got off the highway and was driving on city streets.started hearing some creaking noise, and then a few clunks and a bang/pop as I was going around a corner at about 3-5mph I pulled into the driveway in front of me. I see my right rear tire has caved in and is rubbing against the inside of the wheel well. After jacking up the car and taking the tire off I see the entire brake assembly is rotated in, and the bolts holding it to the rear suspension are bent out of place. Perhaps this is the result of the band-aid epoxy fix for the Toyota rear suspension recall. This is a major safety issue!

- Long Grove, IL, USA

May 212015

RAV4

Sun visor is causing head injuries, this drivers side sun visor keep dropping at eye level and hit on the head while we are driving due to defective mechanism and locking parts within the sun visor this is happening for last 4 years. Kindly have manufacture look into this issue and have them replace this sun visor.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Mar 272015

RAV4

March 27, 2015 at 2:40 pm. Sunny, 38, clear road conditions. Exiting off us 43 and South onto us 41 at approx. 40 to 45 mph. The car suddenly jerked to left, then swerved to the right. I took my foot off the gas but did not brake. Steering was difficult but not impossible. The car felt(althoughi am not sure) as though it went up on two wheels each time it swerved to the left or right. The car came to a stop and I was able to move it to the far side of the highway. I looked beneath the car and saw an approximately 10 inch rod with the sticker that said "recall safety". I took a photograph of the broken part, called a tow truck and the Toyota dealership. I believe if I had been going 65 miles per hour I would have been unable to have any control and may have rolled over injuring, or worse myself and others.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 162015

RAV4 4-cyl

Heard "pop" sounds from rear while driving car. Stopped to examine car but didn't see anything unusual. Resumed driving and shortly afterwards there was a loud pop and immediately the car began swerving as if it were on a skating rink - very scary. Managed to get control of the car and came to a stop. Rear right wheel was inclined towards the sidewall of the car, no idea what had caused it to happen. Drove very slowly to auto mechanic just 1 block away, smoke was coming from the affected area. Car was diagnosed as having a broken right rear tire rod and the affected tire had been stripped since it had been leaning against the sidewall. This occurred despite having made multiple visits to the Toyota dealership in February, 2014 for related recalls and action taken to prevent this type of incident. Obviously, action taken by dealership was insufficient to prevent this possible deadly situation from occurring.

- Burke, VA, USA

Dec 052014

RAV4

My 2007 Toyota Rav4 has a "clunking/popping" noise coming from what appears to be the steering linkage somewhere between the intermediate shaft and rack-and-pinion assembly.in early 2014, a Toyota dealership in Indiana recommended servicing the intermediate shaft assembly via an issued Toyota service bulletin. The intermediate shaft was replaced in the spring of 2014 (cost=$1000, car mileage ~65K).I have since job relocated to New Jersey and the problem has resurfaced (car mileage ~75K).a dealership here told me that the rack-and-pinion assembly needs to be replace (est. Cost= $2000).general signs of rack-and-pinion failure as stated by the dealership and general research are not observed in my car (signs including "play/slop" in the steering wheel, loose steering, stiff steering, etc.).further research of this issue has show multiple hundreds-of-thousands of Rav4 owners inquiring about this issue either via Rav4/Toyota forums, or through the NHTSA and other third party auto safety agencies.the dealerships seem to be guessing at what the problem is, and they issue repair guidelines based only on service bulletins without fully investigating the issue.there is a serious safety concern with a "clunking/popping" noise with the steering assembly of these automobiles.owners of this (highly rated, abundantly sold) Rav4 model should be issued a recall by Toyota to have the rack-and-pinion and the intermediate shaft assembly fixed without consumer purchase.Toyota is aware of the problems, as they have issued multiple service bulletins, but have yet to deem the issue a safety concern leaving their loyal owners with repair cost in upwards of $3000 for cars that are well under 100,000 miles, but outside of Toyota's warranty period. Protecting the safety of drivers and their precious passengers, should be the number one concern of Toyota and the NHTSA.

- Raritan, NJ, USA

Dec 012014

RAV4

2007 Toyota rav 4. consumer received a recall notice for the rear lower suspension arms, but has not been able to get the vehicle repaired. The dealer gave the consumer, different excuses, as to why they couldn't repair the vehicle.

- Florence, WI, USA

Dec 242011

RAV4 4-cyl

While traveling on a highway, the rear tie rod (suspension arm) on the driver side of our Rav4 suddenly failed, causing the car to swerve wildly out of control and crash into a concrete divider. After the car came to a stop, the affected wheel was found to be tilted on an angle. There was no indication of a mechanical problem prior to the failure. The Rav4 had 62,422 miles at the time. The accident occurred on December 24, 2011 - prior to the related recalls 12V373000 (C0J) and 13V383000 (csj). I wrote to Toyota executives in January 2012. My letter described our incident, and I included three similar reports from other drivers from the NHTSA website and an internet search. I was put in contact with a representative from Toyota executive offices. I mailed the failed part to Toyota U.S.a. headquarters in February 2012 after taking photos to document the problem. Corrosion was hidden within the tube of the suspension arm. The threads on the tie rod end had corroded, so one piece could be pulled straight out from the other part without having to unscrew it. The lower part of the bolt or tie rod end was also fractured due to the corrosion. After following up with Toyota executive offices, I was informed that this issue was already known to them, and resulted from improper torque applied during a wheel alignment. My car previously had a wheel alignment at an authorized Toyota service center. Toyota officially started the recall process with the NHTSA about a half year later. Toyota should have taken steps much earlier to notify owners of this very dangerous issue! a document on the NHTSA website indicates Toyota started an initial investigation in 2008. Based on other recall-related documents, it is scary that there appear to be hundreds of thousands of involved vehicles that have yet to be inspected. Updated 12/03/14. Updated 01/26/15. Updated 01/27/15 the consumers claim was denied, because Toyota did not get an opportunity to inspect the vehicle in order to address his concern or confirm if the incident was a result of a manufacturing or design defect. Updated 02/24/15 updated 05/11/15. Updated 06/03/15. Updated 08/06/15

Sep 182014

RAV4 4-cyl

While driving on the highway during my recent vacation I heard a loud bang from under the rear of the vehicle. Immediately after while still driving, pieces of metal fell off the bottom of my car hitting the vehicle behind me. We both pulled over, my rear stabilizer / sway bar had busted and fallen from the car. Now I have to pay several hundred dollars for repairs, my wife and I could of been severely hurt or worse, and now possibly pay for a cracked windshield from the car behind me. I have read several other complaints from Toyota owners that experienced this same problem. This should of not happened at only 54000 miles. This is a dangerous situation. (this vehicle has never towed anything).

- Middlebury, CT, USA

Sep 252014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact received recall notifications for NHTSA campaign number: 14V168000 (air bags) and NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension). The parts needed to repair the vehicle were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 282014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Rav4. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V383000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Spaulding, IL, USA