2008 Toyota RAV4 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota RAV4:

2008 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 172012

The contact owns a 2008 rav 4. the contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the rear driver side tire suspension failed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the suspension needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified but they provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Nov 172012

I received a "interim" recall notice from Toyota stating that there was an issue with the rear suspension arm and that failure of the rear tie rod could cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash. They instructed owners to call only if they experienced any strange noises coming from the rear of the vehicle. I did notice that recently especially when backing up that I would hear a popping noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. I called and they scheduled an appointment with my local dealership for the following week. The day after I scheduled my vehicle to be looked at the rear suspension arm no. 1 separated while driving on a busy 4 lane highway. This caused the vehicle to initially start to sway back and forth and as I tried to pull over to the breakdown lane I then lost complete control of the vehicle which then spun around in the direction of on coming vehicles. Fortunately we did not suffer any injuries and the vehicle came to rest at the top of an exit off ramp. Now that I experienced how serious this really is I have serious concerns as to why Toyota didn't advise me to immediately bring the vehicle to a dealership. This could have been a serious and deadly crash.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Nov 172012

Happy holidays & hanukkah! bob bridge took advantage of my age & background. They charged me $1280 out the door for tsb recall service. It's unfair & absurd 4 me paying Toyota's design flaws. Can you please help me get in touch with portland regional office so they can start reimbursement to me? bob bridge is milking both me & Toyota district managers. They took 14 days to put in new steering shaft and offered zero in-depth report on failure & steering shaft's warranty. Rushed through the job and left me dying battery & alternator. T-sb-0318-08 (steering shaft recall) steering now feels hard since they didn't refill power steering reservoir. My alternator & battery was left as is with diminishing capacity. I will only pay $150 out the door labor for this tsb service, the rest will be paid by Toyota's district office. When can you send me my check?

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 052008

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, a loud noise emitted from the rear passenger's side of the vehicle. The failure occurred whenever traveling at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. In addition, the four tires had been replaced twice previously due to premature tire wear. The technician advised that the four tires be replaced again for the third time. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 12V373000 (suspension: Rear). The VIN was eligible; however the dealer refused to repair the vehicle because a defect was not present during the inspection. The vehicle was not repaired and the defective tires were not replaced. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Butler, PA, USA

Oct 012012

I was driving along and heard a small thud, and, with no other sound or warning, the car went out of control. Thankfully I was able to stop, as I was driving slowly. When I got out of the car and looked, the rear wheel was hanging off. It was determined that the rear suspension arm had failed and needed to be replaced. This was a terrifying experience and surely would have been catastrophic if I had been driving at a faster speed. Toyota has been notified.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Sep 032012

RAV4 6-cyl

Loud noise from back of car and then right rear suspension collapsed causing me to loose steering control of vehicle. No other cars around, road was straight and level with just grass to the side. Brakes still work so car was brought to stop as it went by itself to the right. This is a one owner car that was never abused or off-roaded. Car was taken by flatbed to local Toyota dealer who replaced the right rear inner/outer tie rods at no cost and gave me a free car wash.

- Ashland, MA, USA

Jul 082012

RAV4 4-cyl

At around 9:30 am on July 8, I was on I-15 in S. Utah when my right rear tie rod failed. Very scary and I was lucky I did not end up rolled over in the ditch, hit another vehicle, or get hit by another vehicle. I had no idea why my car was so suddenly out of control. I originally thought I had blown a front wheel. There was no previous warning, such as a shimmy or vibration or any steering issues at all. I asked the tow truck to take me to the Toyota dealer which was about 50 miles away. However, he convinced me that it was simple to replace the tie rod and since my Rav4 was a 2008, aftermarket parts would be easy to get from Napa. It was a Sunday, so I ended up getting the car dropped off at Goodyear in cedar city, since I would need an alignment after the new tie rod was put in. On Monday morning I found out you can only get the tie rod part from the dealer and they did not have any in stock, so had to wait until Wednesday to get it fixed. After it was fixed, they were not able to do an exact alignment and said it was off by a mm. Fyi - there was no rust on the broken tie rod.

- Steamboat Springs, CO, USA

May 062010

2008 Toyota rav 4 limited has had handling issues on the freeway with stability. This has happened a couple of times. Dealer says that "nothing is wrong." Previous time this occurred, vehicle returned handling differently. Considering the computer brain running this car, we believe they reset the computer. This is happening again. We are taking it in again.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA