2009 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota RAV4:

2009 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Feb 052010

I own a 2009 Toyota Rav4. My car was not stopping prior to recall-spoke with Toyota and they contacted dealer to come to my home and pick up my car, as it was not stopping for my and I would not drive the car. Recall (accelerator pedal reinforcement bar) performed 2/5/2009. I called dealership to schedule another appointment as the gas pedal is very touchy and my car is accelerating when my foot is on the brake and I can not stop car. The dealership looked at car and told me that there was no problem-the standard line "our service technician was unable to duplicate customer concern". I again have a car that has a safety concern that will not stop at times and Toyota is unwilling to resolve this issue for me.

- Wadsworth, OH, USA

Sep 112009

At a local mall I was stopped and waiting for a parking spot to become available. When a parking spot became open, I was within 5' to 10' foot of the parking spot entrance. While making 90% right swing from a dead stop I lightly put pressure on the accelerator pedal of our 2009 Toyota Rav4 it lunged forward and accelerated rapidly I applied the brake pedal hard but was not able to totally stop the car in the short distance of the parking space and at about 1 to 2 miles per hour our auto hit a cement ┐lled yellow post divider that separated my parking area from the one ahead, leaving us with a cracked lower grill and sightly dented bumper. Luckily no one was injured, but we were visibly shaken. I took our auto to the Toyota dealer service dept. And they performed what they called a > health check test<. in their report they stated > all systems operating properly -- no adverse operation noted <. we received our 2009 Rav4 on July 29, 2009. From the beginning till the present we have had a lunging or a rapid start from {a complete stop} to {a start- -take off } with very little pressure on the accelerator, when the problem manifests it self the acceleration is fast enough to throw people back in their seats, this happens randomly about 20% of the time, {etc} given or taken of the est. Time frame unknown, you never know when or how often it may happen in a row. Time frame has not been identied so far. I have had this checked by the same service dept. Three times so far, last time on Feb. 17, 2010 at the same time the recall A0A pedal reinforcement plate was installed. Again report of > health check test < performed > all systems operating properly -- no adverse operation noted <. I have also called Toyota american headquarters in calf. And addressed this matter with them to date I have been given no resolve. I believe, and can it also be possible : maybe a software program glitch:

- Blasdell, NY, USA

Mar 022010

Currently, I own a 2009 Rav4 that was not apart of the recall due to the fact the car was manufactured in Japan. However, I am experiencing sudden acceleration in my vehicle and Toyota is doing nothing to resolve this issue. On a daily basis when I drive the car and I am pressing on the accelerator pedal the car suddenly jerks and the RPM's jump and jerks me forward. I find that it happens more frequently on a rainy or wet days but does occur everyday. This car is a safety hazard and I have been told by Toyota that it is the way I am driving however, my husband drives my car and experiences the same thing when stepping on the accelerator pedal. Toyota needs to fix my problem.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Oct 012009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Rav4. The driver stated that he was making a U-turn into a driveway. When he pressed the brake pedal the vehicle began to accelerate on its own and almost crashed into a brick wall. The driver stated that he slammed on the brakes and the vehicle stopped. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 200. The current mileage was 3,000. Updated 03/12/10. Updated 07/16/10

- East Hampton, NY, USA

Oct 162009

My 09 Toyota Rav4 ( bought last August in queens New York) had the same kind of problem that, the car speed up suddenly and almost punch the front car when I was pushing brake, stopping and waiting for traffic light from red to green. It were happened two times last year, and also, sometimes, when the car is running on the way, the speed suddenly up. I think the problem is caused by it's control system like software poor design in anti-interfering/electronic noises.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Jul 302009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged or rapidly accelerated from a complete stop. In one instance, he applied the brake pedal but was not able to stop the vehicle. At approximately 2-3 mph, he hit a cement divider in a parking lot which caused damage to the lower grill. He also noticed that the failure randomly occurred about 20% of the time while driving. He took the vehicle to the dealership and was told that they could not find anything wrong. On 02/17/2010, the dealer installed a metal plate behind the accelerator pedal three times. He called the manufacturer and spoke with a representative who instructed him to take the vehicle back to the dealership. The contact stated that the problem still occurred even after the repair was performed. The current mileage was approximately 5,100. The failure mileage was approximately 400.

- Blasedell, NY, USA

Jan 092010

New Toyota electronics problems my Rav4 sometimes does have intermittent accelerator 'sticking┐ problems, even though the accelerator pedal has fully returned to idle conditions. During the winter I often where sorels. I thought that because of my boots I was hitting both the brake and accelerator. One time I even had to push the transmission into neutral to make a stop, cursing the Toyota designer who put the brake pedal so close to the accelerator (another pedal design flaw?). from then on I was very careful to keep my foot on just one pedal. However, I still noticed problems sometimes, and now this "pseudo recall" has solved a dilemma I had. The problem is not with unintended acceleration, it is with impaired deceleration. The engine is fighting against the braking system because the engine does not return to idle soon enough. With the old manual accelerator linkage systems, you could feel when you let off the gas. Now instead the computer is deciding how to slow the engine. This is where the problem lies. What "bone headed" Toyota engineer allowed both the accelerator and brake to work at the same time on a "drive by wire" system? there is no mechanical linkage to undo, so hitting the brake should defeat the accelerator (I.e. quickly return the engine to idle mode). That is all that was needed to prevent this problem. This is at least one problem with the Toyota electronic throttle system. It is a Toyota ┐myth┐ to insist there is(are) no electronic problem(s). What other more complex problems are there in the electronics, if this basic problem was not accounted for?

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 292009

RAV4 6-cyl

Since I bought my 2009 Toyota Rav4 (6cyl) in July 2009, I have experienced consistent jackrabbit starts. The day after I bought it, I discussed this with the salesman who handled my transaction. He seemed unconcerned and told me to discuss it with the service department at the 5000 miles check. Virtually every time I attempt to smoothly accelerate from a stop, I am thrown back into my seat and the vehicle accelerates rapidly. On a couple of occasions I nearly hit the car in front of me. On Feb 1, 2010, I brought this to the attention of the service department of michael's Toyota in bellevue, wa, when I took my vehicle in to have the accelerator pedal checked - mine was a denso and did not require modification. They reported "no defect, " and that my vehicle drives like every other Rav4. If that is the case, there is no doubt a risk that this jackrabbit tendency will cause accidents. I am convinced that the combination of Toyota's electronic accelerator pedals and the hardware/software Toyota uses to control the engines are faulty. I have listed the date of incident as the day I bought the Rav4, but the jackrabbit accelerations happen every day!

- Preston, WA, USA

Feb 202010

I was told my 2009 Rav4 was not subject to the Toyota recall. Yet I have experienced involuntary acceleration on two occasions. Both times I was slowing down to make a left hand turn, having almost slowed to a stop when the RPM's accelerated to 5,000 - 6,000. The first time I was slowing down from 30 mph to about 10 mph when the car sped forward as I was turning. I almost hit a sign on a median but was able to stop the car by slamming on the brakes. This was in November 2009 over three months after the Rav4 was purchased but before I knew about the recall. I brought the vehicle into the kolosso Toyota dealership for the fix a few weeks ago. I was not told my car was not part of the recall but was told I was "all set" for the time being but that there may be additional fixes required in the future that were still being evaluated. Today, this involuntary acceleration occurred again. I had been traveling on a two lane highway. Speed limit was 50 mph. I had slowed down, almost to a stop in preparation to turn left. The car was going less than 10 mph, my foot was on the brake pedal when the RPM's suddenly shot up to 5,000 - 6,000. I pressed down on the brake harder and put the car in neutral to stop it from propelling forward. It took many some time for the engine to stop revving. This nearly caused an accident into oncoming traffic. When I called Toyota about this, as I was afraid to continue driving the car, I learned that my car was not part of the recall because I had a denso gas pedal. Toyota tried to minimize the incident and indicated I could continue driving it to a dealership about 25 miles away. I refused to do so and had the vehicle towed at my dealer's expense back to my city of residence.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Jan 142010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Rav4. While the contact was at a traffic light the vehicle surged forward. Suddenly, extreme force was applied to the brakes to prevent the vehicle from accelerating. The failure has happened more than four times. The contact stated that the vehicle has a denso accelerator pedal. The failure mileage was 4,900.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 202009

I purchased my 2009 Rav4 on June 19, 2009. With only a few hundred miles (less than 1000) on the vehicle, I traveled to annapolis, md on July 20, 2009. After driving on the expressway for most of the around 200 miles, I exited and upn stopping for traffic, I experienced the accelerator sticking (did not come back up upon deceleration). I luckily was able to stop the car before a collision, using considerable force on the brakes. The accelerator did return to a normal position after 2-3 seconds. I never did experience the problem afterwards and I now have around 5400 miles on the vehicle. I did discuss the problem with the dealer months after this incident and they did install the recall device on the accelerator. I have not noticed any problems since. I am reporting this since my experience with the accelerator seems to be different from others. My accelerator stuck when the vehicle was nearly new and had very little wear.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Feb 032010

1. as I was pulling into a parking place in a parking lot, my 2009 Toyota Rav4 accelerated rapidly and drove up on the sidewalk. I immediately slammed my foot on the brake and managed to stop the car just before it would have run into the wall ahead of me. Before turning into the parking place, I had slowed way down to make the 90 degree turn and I applied only gentle pressure on the accelerator to pull into the parking spot. 2. I have had this car since September 2009 and have never had an experience like this before. 3. I have an appointment with my Toyota dealer next Tuesday, Feb 9, to insert a piece of metal to stop the accelerator from sticking. But I'm afraid this may not solve the problem, since this did not seem to be the result of the accelerator sticking; the accelerator was only slightly depressed when the car speeded up by itself.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Nov 102009

While driving on interstate with cruise control set @ 70mph. And entering a reduced speed area, I disable cruise by tapping brakes. After traveling a few miles the car would accelerate at a fast rate on its own. I would then either tap the brakes again or turn off the cruise to stop the acceleration. This has happened at least 6 to 8 separate occasions. Last use of cruise was in November.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Jan 112010

Gas pedal stuck on my 2009 Rav4 and I hit the rear of the car in front of me at a 4 way stop. I was able to engage the brakes but the distance/time was too short for the brakes to over come the acceleration. In front of the car that I hit was a pedestrian crossing--if it were not for the car in front of me I would have struck pedestrians. Before the accident I did not detect any evidence of a problem. The pedal failure was a one time incident. After the accident (before the recall) it never occurred to me that there was a mechanical problem--I assumed somehow that I had my foot on both accelerator and brake. However after spending much time in my driveway I could not replicate having my foot push both the gas pedal and brake pedal. My wife and I agreed that she would drive the Rav4--and I would not. Soon after my accident the 2009 rav 4 recall for sticking gas pedal was announced. I am absolutely sure that the sticking gas pedal caused the accident. Since the date of the recall (January 21) we parked the car in our driveway. We will not drive our Rav4 I contacted my dealer (lombard Toyota, lombard il)--they replied that as a dealer they could only recommend that I call Toyota's customer experience number after a couple days I was able to get through to the "Toyota experience" line--over the next several days I was passed up the line until I was able to speak to a case manager. On January 27the a Toyota field technician came to my house and inspected my car. Since then I have heard nothing from Toyota.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Feb 032010

At about noon on 2/3/10- our 2009 Toyota rav 4 sudden acceleration (or stuck gas pedal) caused me to rear end another car that was stopped at a red light. I was moving very slowly about 5-10mph, just gliding because the car in front of me had been stopped by the light and it was just starting to slowly move as the light turned green. I had my foot on the brake, and the rav 4 seemed to accelerate, causing me to press as hard as I could on the brakes, but I could not stop before hitting the car in front of me. It seemed as if the Rav4 just accelerated by itself. The rav 4 has been towed to a repair facility. 4 hours before this happened, we had the rav 4 at our Toyota dealer for inspection of the gas pedal and it was confirmed that it had one of the suspect assemblies. But they said they could not do anything, as they had no instructions or parts yet from Toyota and said we would be notified when the time came.

- Carbondale, IL, USA

Oct 142009

Given the news about Toyota accelerator pedal issues and now 2010 prius ABS issues, I feel it's important to report the following: In October 2009, my 2009 Toyota Rav4 experienced the following issue (this is taken directly from Toyota dealer's service invoice): "customer states brake pedal goes to the floor and doesn't feel like the vehicle is stopping properly. Please advise. Depresses all the way happens intermittently. Tech verified customer concern poor brake pedal case # TA092880189. Replaced master cylinder/replace ABS actuator. Replace ABS actuator per tech assist rec opn # 44050-42330." In other words, we had observed that when applying the brake pedal, it often depressed quickly and nearly all the way to the floor before providing normal brake pedal resistance and braking action sufficient to slow and stop the car's forward progress, and at that point with very little brake pedal physical depression space left before reaching the pedal's limit. After I originally brought the issue to my local Toyota dealership (lexington Toyota, lexington, MA, 781.861.7400), they informed me they had not previously seen this issue and had to consult with Toyota's U.S. headquarters for troubleshooting aid. Then for several days the dealership provided me with ongoing updates, explaining that Toyota was actively investigating the matter and did not have an immediate recommended solution. This went on for nearly a week, and so it seemed to me that this was a problem Toyota hq had not prevously encountered. Finally the dealership reported that Toyota hq had provided a resolultion, the repair work was done, and we got our Rav4 back and have had no brake pedal problems since. According to our local dealer, our Rav4 was manufactured in Japan and therefore isn't subject to the current accelerator pedal recall but does require the floormat-related recall fix.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jan 272010

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota rav 4.the contact stated that while driving at 5 mph when pulling into a parking space and while having her foot on the brake, the vehicle accelerated on its own. It went over a parking block and a curb and then hit a building wall. The vehicle was towed to a body shop, then it was picked up by her insurance company.the whole front end and the passenger side door were damaged due to the crash. There were minor injuries, the contact was transported to the hospital. There was a police report filed. The contact also stated that this has only occurred once. The dealer was contacted and they stated that they will investigate the failure and let her know the outcome of this investigation. There have been no repairs done to the vehicle to date.the failure and current mileage was 6615.

- Cameron Park , CA, USA

Mar 282009

Intermittent sudden acceleration in a 2009 Toyota Rav4 without further depression of the gas pedal which causes the vehicle to lurch forward. The gas pedal is not jammed or slow to raise nor does it stick. This has happened on numerous occasions since March 2009 with no common denominator such as speed, road conditions, etc. This has even happened when the vehicle was in park and without the gas pedal being depressed at all, the vehicle will race suddenly and just as quickly go back to idle. The date of the first incident and the mileage listed below are approximations.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Dec 262009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Rav4. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph into a parking space and when pressure was applied to the brake pedal the vehicle accelerated excessively. The vehicle failed to slow down and crashed into a vehicle. The emergency brake was engaged during the failure. There were no personal injuries. The police were called to the scene. A police report was filed. The vehicle was operable; however, it was taken to a body collision center for repair. The cause of failure has not been determined at this time. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number 10V017000 (vehicle speed control;accelerator pedal). However, the VIN was excluded from the recall defect since the manufacturer was located in Japan. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Boonton Township , NJ, USA

Nov 142009

RAV4 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Rav4. The contact was driving approximately 5 mph on wet road conditions; proceeding to a traffic signal. There was an unintended increase in acceleration. The driver applied an aggressive force to the brake pedal. The vehicle failed to slow down and immediately, the gear shifter was placed into the "neutral" position. The vehicle stopped and engine turned off. The vehicle was able to resume normal operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The throttle body was cleaned. On a separate occasion the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for the identical failure which there were no resolutions. The failure mileage was 2,083. Updated 02/17/10. Updated 02/19/10.

- Bristol, PA, USA