2009 Toyota RAV4 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota RAV4:

2009 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Sep 082014

The brake was engaged in traffic when the car started to accelerate. I applied the brake more firmly and put the car in park. The engine began to rev uncontrollably in a cloud of white smoke. I switched the car off and restarted the motor and it then ran normally.

- Nantucket , MA, USA

Jun 082014

RAV4 4-cyl

On June 8, 2014, while driving my 2009 Toyota Rav4, I began to slow for a stop light. Several cars were already stopped. Suddenly, and unexpectedly, my car began to accelerate causing me to crash into another vehicle, and forcing it into a second vehicle. After the initial impact; my engine continued to rev-up, even though my foot was off the accelerator and hard on the brakes. Finally, I shifted into park and turned off the ignition. All three vehicles were damaged, two significantly. A passenger in the second vehicle expressed personal anxiety due to a ┐┐heart condition┐Ł and possible neck injury. Both drivers filed claims on my insurance, but no damage estimates or injury claims are available as yet. A police report was filed. During 2013, I had two previous accidents and several incidents while driving this Rav4, caused by sudden and unexpected acceleration. Damage of about $3,000 was incurred; however, no other vehicles were involved. One accident report was filed. On several other occasions, while driving on the interstate highways, the Rav4 suddenly and unexpectedly, accelerated. In each instance, I regained control of the vehicle and no accident or damage occurred. Prior to owning the Rav4, I purchased a new 2008 4-door Toyota Camry. On numerous occasions, during the eight months I owned the vehicle, I experienced sudden and unexpected acceleration, especially at cruising speeds on the highway. Becoming very uncomfortable driving it ┐┐ I traded the Camry on the then new 2009 Toyota Rav4. As a 68 year old single working widow, I am afraid of driving the Rav4 to work or on weekends. In January, 9013, a legal claims administrator for Toyota motor sales, advised by letter that based on their inspection of the 2009 Rav4; the 2013 accidents were ┐┐not the result of any type of manufacturing or design defect.┐Ł

- Chesterfield, MO, USA