2010 Toyota RAV4 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Mar 142013

Usually after a rain storm or if I go through a deep puddle the idiot lights for "check engine, slip indicator and 4 wheel drive" lights come on and stay on for about 30 miles. Wednesday they came on and stayed on even though it hasn't rained in weeks. I've talked with several dealers and they tell me either there is no fix for it or Toyota is investigating the problem. I've also talked to others with older Rav4's and they tell me that they have the same situation going on. Does Toyota need a little nudge from the gov't?

- Johnston, RI, USA

Apr 162010

I was driving East on I-10 West of las cruces nm, when the car veered off the highway, went 300 yards, and stopped. I was unable to stop the car, and the driver airbag had a hole in it.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Mar 252010

Unintended acceleration O F Toyota Rav4 with "fixed" accelerator pedal within 50 miles of driving: 0N coming to traffic stop engine revved up to an audible high speed. To prevent a collision I applied intensive pressure to brake pedal while setting hand brake. Car stlill seemed to be in forward roll mode, so I pushed gear shift from drive thru neutral, reverse and into park. Engine speed returned to normal idle without further incident. I then drove 40 some miles to return home. On 3/27 I took car to the dealer to report that the accelerator pedal modification was a failure. I took delivery of this new car on 7/31/09. Within about 300 driving miles of accumulated mileage, the 1st unintended acceleration occurred required added pressure to brake pedal & use of hand(emergency) brake to stop car & end abnormal engine speed. Gear shift remained in drive. I had 3 to 4 such incidents within approx. 2400 miles comprising 40-50 trips, none longer than 100 miles. Most of my driving is highway type, which does require intermittent but infrequent traffic stops. About 200 miles occurred in city-type conditions (frequent traffic stops) which were spread over about 12 of the aforesaid trips. All the ua situations occurred under the city-type conditions. I made several trips to the dealer to report the incidents and to obtain help. After the 1st one the service department checked the car & found nothing with the car's safe operability. I took the car back for service after the incident which was post safety recall pedal modification. The response was that this was the first that they had heard of a "fix" failure. Toyota appears to cling to the sticky floor mat or simultaneous pressure to accelerator and brake pedals.

- Malibu, CA, USA