3.5

2010 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Jan 272014

RAV4 6-cyl

After completing a 5 block downhill drive in second gear with little use of either the accelerator or the brake, I then braked as I turned into my garage in order to park my vehicle. As I entered my garage and while still braking and at slowing speed the vehicle's engine suddenly accelerated and the vehicle lurched forward violently. I immediately applied heavy brake pressure and up shifted in an attempt to take the vehicle out of gear. My braking may have slowed, but did not stop, the vehicle's forward acceleration. When I put the vehicle into park, the wheels locked, forward progress stopped (just in front of the back wall of my garage), and I shut the engine off using the ignition switch. I did not think of trying to turn off the ignition switch first and I did not have time for different options; I had only a few seconds to get the vehicle under control or it would have hit the back wall of my garage. Once the engine was stopped, I waited a few seconds, restarted the vehicle (which started normally), and then backed into my parking space. I have not used the vehicle since. The consumer stated he experienced sudden acceleration twice in 4 years. Updated 04/08/14

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 082012

RAV4 4-cyl

Leaking water pump, replaced at 60,000 mile service interval.

- Portage, MI, USA

Aug 102010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while at the dealer for routine maintenance the technician notified him that the O ring seal was cracked and leaking oil. The O ring was replaced. After the replacement of the O ring the contact noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed the engine was out of oil. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the O ring was replaced. The failure occurred two different times. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,806.

- Ithaca, NY, USA