2.5

2010 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Aug 032016

RAV4

Car accelerated ahead while pulling up to a stop sign. The harder I applied the brakes.... the more it tried to surge ahead. Finally got it stopped. The same thing happened to my wife today. She was parking the car and when she touched the brake pedal, the car surged ahead on her. She finally also got it stopped but it scared her. When it happens, the brake pedal feels really hard and the motor accelerates even though the brake pedal is being pushed and not the gas pedal. I called my local dealer and they are going to get it in tomorrow to check it out.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jul 152015

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While driving at an unknown speed, the air conditioner was activated. The contact noticed water leaking onto the carpet in the front driver and passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and a dealer where it was diagnosed that the hose in the vehicle was installed incorrectly and would need to be re-installed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Mar 132016

RAV4

Left a Toyota dealership after having service. It was raining outside I had just jumped on the highway and my 4 wheel drive check engine light and a third light all came on. I then drove to autozone I was told that I needed a 02 sensor. But I had just left the Toyota dealership and was told there was no problems with my vehicle. I read a post on your website and with the same concern and decided to add my complaint. I will be taking my car back to the dealership on Friday.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 292016

RAV4

April 2014: At approximately 50,000 miles, check engine light and stability controls on dash while driving. Dealer informs that there is a charcoal canister malfunction and the part needs to be replaced. Dealer performed repair and replacement of Toyota parts. Paid ~$900. February 2016: Same lights on dash while driving. Take to the dealer and the error codes indicate the charcoal canister needs to be replaced again. Estimate $1020. The part is no longer under 12-month warranty as it was replaced 20 months ago.

- Metter, GA, USA

Jul 062014

RAV4 4-cyl

On 07/06/14 the car suddenly and unexpectedly accelerated at full throttle while stopped. Car moved toward motorcycle stopped ahead of me at the traffic signal even though I was pushing hard on the brake. If I had not turned the ignition off I would have hit the motorcycle. Today 08/06/14 at aprox. 20 mph the same thing happened. As I was slowing for a traffic light, the car accelerator went to full throttle uncontrollably running through a red light.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Jan 272014

RAV4 6-cyl

After completing a 5 block downhill drive in second gear with little use of either the accelerator or the brake, I then braked as I turned into my garage in order to park my vehicle. As I entered my garage and while still braking and at slowing speed the vehicle's engine suddenly accelerated and the vehicle lurched forward violently. I immediately applied heavy brake pressure and up shifted in an attempt to take the vehicle out of gear. My braking may have slowed, but did not stop, the vehicle's forward acceleration. When I put the vehicle into park, the wheels locked, forward progress stopped (just in front of the back wall of my garage), and I shut the engine off using the ignition switch. I did not think of trying to turn off the ignition switch first and I did not have time for different options; I had only a few seconds to get the vehicle under control or it would have hit the back wall of my garage. Once the engine was stopped, I waited a few seconds, restarted the vehicle (which started normally), and then backed into my parking space. I have not used the vehicle since. The consumer stated he experienced sudden acceleration twice in 4 years. Updated 04/08/14

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 082012

RAV4 4-cyl

Leaking water pump, replaced at 60,000 mile service interval.

- Portage, MI, USA

Aug 102010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while at the dealer for routine maintenance the technician notified him that the O ring seal was cracked and leaking oil. The O ring was replaced. After the replacement of the O ring the contact noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed the engine was out of oil. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the O ring was replaced. The failure occurred two different times. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,806.

- Ithaca, NY, USA