2010 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 312015

RAV4

I was on a test drive to buy the vehicle.. it was very cold out, teens, but no ice on road. Riding along 20-25mph slowing down for red light--applied break -- seemed car was still accelerating had to stand on breaks to stop a couple of feet from car in front. Returned to dealership and told them, they looked up VIN said there as no recall. I saw on this site there is a very similar issue that there was a recall for. Should Toyota take a closer look at this vehicle?

- Keene, NH, USA

Jan 252015

RAV4

I had been driving app. 10 minutes in snow covered road conditions when I was approaching an intersection with traffic stopped for a red light. As I applied the brake to ease into a stop, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably. I was in the center lane with stopped vehicles in front of me. I had to exert hard force on the brake pedal to finally bring my vehicle to a stop. The engine was at least over 4000rpms on the tachometer. When traffic started moving again, I eased off the brake pedal and slowly applied gas and eased over in to the right(curb) lane. I stayed slow at about 15-20 mph and felt an acceleration again, but was able to brake successfully. I then turned right into the first available parking lot to gain composure before continuing on. I continued home at a safe rate of speed ( under 35mph). In the past 2 years there have been 3 other occurrences of acceleration when braking but never to this extreme.

- Independence, OH, USA

Apr 162014

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. There was no personal injury. A police report was not filed of the incident. The vehicle was able to be driven from the scene. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The black box data detected that the brakes were not faulty. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000. The consumer stated it was not the first time, she and her husband experienced brake failure, with the vehicle continuing to accelerate. The dealer informed the consumer, that an update on the brakes had not been made. The consumer stated she never received any type of notification, to have service done.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Mar 032010

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently and independently accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 43,000. Updated 5/29/14

- Putnum, IL, USA

Mar 092014

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving in reverse at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle unexpectedly accelerated to 55 mph. The brake pedal was engaged numerous times however, the vehicle continued to accelerate. The vehicle then crashed into a nearby parking sign and a tree. The contact sustained no injuries. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Oct 302013

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited a recurring rapid acceleration failure. The contact was sitting at a light, and when she removed her foot from the brake, to move up slightly the vehicle moved very fast and forward and hit the vehicle in front of her. The vehicle backed up and she hit the vehicle again. The manufacturer was contacted, who determined that they would provide an extensive inspection of the vehicle. The manufacturer later advised the contact that they were unable to duplicate the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 66,400. Updated 04/30/14

- Kankakee , IL, USA

Jan 272014

RAV4 6-cyl

After completing a 5 block downhill drive in second gear with little use of either the accelerator or the brake, I then braked as I turned into my garage in order to park my vehicle. As I entered my garage and while still braking and at slowing speed the vehicle's engine suddenly accelerated and the vehicle lurched forward violently. I immediately applied heavy brake pressure and up shifted in an attempt to take the vehicle out of gear. My braking may have slowed, but did not stop, the vehicle's forward acceleration. When I put the vehicle into park, the wheels locked, forward progress stopped (just in front of the back wall of my garage), and I shut the engine off using the ignition switch. I did not think of trying to turn off the ignition switch first and I did not have time for different options; I had only a few seconds to get the vehicle under control or it would have hit the back wall of my garage. Once the engine was stopped, I waited a few seconds, restarted the vehicle (which started normally), and then backed into my parking space. I have not used the vehicle since. The consumer stated he experienced sudden acceleration twice in 4 years. Updated 04/08/14

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Oct 092013

RAV4

2010 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. A couple of months after purchasing the vehicle, the consumer noticed when the brake was applied to slow down, there was a sudden pick up of speed. The consumer crashed into a concrete post, due to the sudden acceleration. Updated 12/16/13

- Davis, CA, USA

Sep 252013

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while applying the brakes in an attempt to park, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a residential garage door. There were no injuries. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure and current mileage was 12,857.

- Austin, MN, USA

May 162013

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while sitting at a stop light, the engine rpms increased excessively. The contact turned the vehicle off for a few minutes before restarting the vehicle. The engine rpms continued to increase. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer however, the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 37,000.

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Nov 182012

RAV4

Putting into a parking stall (at a rest stop)with foot on the brake pedal, the Rav4 acceelerated at a high speed, only stopped after hitting a sign pole, still accelating, only stopped by turning motor off with ignitoin key.the air bags did not activate with $8809 in damage.this vehicle has 2 recalls on the accelleration problem,1 on the rear suspension. Also rear middle seat belt not working and tire pressure continous to not function ather being fixed.

- Waretown, NJ, USA

Jan 182013

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while parking, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into a curb and then into a building. After crashing in to the building, the contact could still hear the vehicle attempting to accelerate. The contact suffered injuries to her head and knee. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic to repair the body. The acceleration failure had not been diagnosed. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure and current mileage was 28,500.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Dec 172012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while entering a residential garage, the vehicle began to accelerate independently. The contact applied the brakes but the more the contact depressed the brake, the farther the vehicle accelerated. The contact shifted into neutral and the engine was turned off to stop the acceleration failure. The manufacturer and dealer were both notified of the problem but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 45,000.

- Maple Valley, WA, USA

May 112012

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. While driving 5 mph, the contact noticed that the vehicle had suddenly began to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the contact was informed that the failure could not be reproduced. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were 25,000. Updated 06/12/12 the consumer checked the crash box. However, no further details were given. Updated 06/13/12

- Edina, MN, USA

Aug 252011

RAV4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle surged forward and crashed into a handicap sign. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that no failures had occurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recalls associated with unintended acceleration associated with NHTSA campaign id numbers: 10V017000 (vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal) or 11V113000 (vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 6,600. Updated 05/11/12 the consumer was informed there was a chip in the computer system that failed, not the accelerator. Updated 06/04/12

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Feb 062012

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota rav-4. the contact took the vehicle to the dealer for repairs under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V113000 (vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal). The contact stated that the technicians could not determine if the floor mats in the vehicle were all-weather floor mats or not and therefore, did not replace the floor mats as stated in the recall. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 15,444.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Jun 012011

RAV4

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota rav. The contact advised that the vehicle accelerated without activation or warning. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 23,500 and the failure mileage was 14,000.

- Northport, ME, USA

Apr 222010

RAV4 6-cyl

On several occasions the cruise control did not disengage, either when the brakes were applied or the lever pulled. It has accelerated at least twice while approaching slowed traffic, ahead.

- St Helena , CA, USA

Dec 282011

RAV4 4-cyl

I was stopped at a stoplight at about 4:00 pm with my foot fully on the brake. While waiting for the light to change, the car went into a high idle. I pressed the brake pedal firmly, but the car was lurching, trying to accelerate. I put the car into park and it made a horrible noise. It stayed in high idle for several more seconds, but then seemed to kick itself out of that idle. I thought the car may have died. The light turned green, so I gently put it into drive (again thinking that it may have died), but it was still running, so I drove across the intersection, went to a parking lot, and called the dealer. The service advisor said that I should have the car towed in (at my expense), which was not acceptable to me. I called the Toyota 800 number and they also said that they would not pay for any of the expenses. They said that if something was found wrong with the car, they would reimburse me. I drove the car to the dealership that night. The advisor told me that they would need to keep the car until the regional manager could come, which would be several days. They called me the next afternoon to say that the dealership had run all tests, and found nothing wrong with the car, and that they had never heard of the rav 4 having this issue. They said they could keep the car until the regional manager could come, which was now estimated to be 2-3 weeks. They said he would run the exact same tests on the vehicle as they had run. I went and picked up the vehicle. I went into the dealership yesterday and met with the service and sales managers. They advised me that though they were not saying they didn't believe me about the incident, they could not duplicate the problem, so there was nothing else they could do, except to help me get out of my lease and into another Toyota vehicle. I opted to trade my rav 4 in and am now leasing a Camry.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Dec 272011

RAV4 4-cyl

At approximately 18:30 on December 27, 2011, I experienced an unintended acceleration event in my 2010 Toyota Rav4. I was stopping for a red light on pacific coast highway in seal beach, California at the corner of first street when I noticed it was difficult to apply the brake, and the car did not appear to want to stop. I applied the brake more forcefully and was eventually able to stop in the left hand turn lane, however the car kept lurching forward as if it wanted to break free of the brake. Having heard the widespread publicity regarding the unintended acceleration problem in Toyota vehicles, and having previously experienced the problem on one occasion over a year earlier, I thought this might be the issue. I put the car into park and the engine immediately revved up to an alarming rate. I turned off the ignition in panic before I was able to look at the tachometer. However, judging by the sound and later experimentation with revving while parked, I believe the RPM must have been in the 4000-5000 range at the time of the incident. I was particularly shaken by this event because I had already had the recall service performed that was supposedly intended to address the unintended acceleration issue. This recall service was performed May 10, 2011 at desert Toyota in tucson, Arizona. I had experience the unintended acceleration issue once before, but it was not nearly as dramatic. I do not recall the details, but it was in southern Arizona in early 2011 and my memory is that tapping the accelerator and brake pedals restored the car's operation to normal fairly quickly. I was little concerned about it happening again since the recall service had been performed.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA