2010 Toyota RAV4 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota RAV4:

2010 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Oct 012014

I bought the car 8/31/2010. The car always jumped for no reason. Henderickson Toyota said nothing was wrong. I saw 2010 Rav4 was involved in a lawsuit that Toyota corporation lost in 2013. I was never notified. The car was rpaired for a floor mat problem, but not the motor jump. I sold the car because the car was in 2015 because it had a second major problem with poor control of backend.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Mar 132016

Left a Toyota dealership after having service. It was raining outside I had just jumped on the highway and my 4 wheel drive check engine light and a third light all came on. I then drove to autozone I was told that I needed a 02 sensor. But I had just left the Toyota dealership and was told there was no problems with my vehicle. I read a post on your website and with the same concern and decided to add my complaint. I will be taking my car back to the dealership on Friday.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 292016

April 2014: At approximately 50,000 miles, check engine light and stability controls on dash while driving. Dealer informs that there is a charcoal canister malfunction and the part needs to be replaced. Dealer performed repair and replacement of Toyota parts. Paid ~$900. February 2016: Same lights on dash while driving. Take to the dealer and the error codes indicate the charcoal canister needs to be replaced again. Estimate $1020. The part is no longer under 12-month warranty as it was replaced 20 months ago.

- Metter, GA, USA

Feb 052016

A few days ago, I turned on my vehicle and saw three lights, check engine, electronic stability control, and 4WD. I took my vehicle into the Toyota dealer, which diagnosed my problem as water in the charcoal canister that is part of the evaporative fuel system. Problem is that fuel vapors can now accumulated in and about the vehicle. The dealer checked with Toyota to see if it would pay for the repair. They wouldn't. the total parts to fix this problem cost about $1000, and the 3 hrs' labor is over $500. I was shocked. But shock turned to outrage when I saw, among the parts, a $14 part to cover the canister and prevent water on the road from contaminating and ruining the replacement charcoal canister. Why didn't Toyota inform me of this before? I would have spent $14 plus an hr's labor to install this cover to avoid a $1500-1600 repair. I called Toyota and asked why they wouldn't cover this repair. They said because my car has 64,000 miles. This is absurd. This is a manufacturing/design defect that Toyota should cover, but Toyota refuses to do so, unless they get more complaints, according to the Toyota rep with whom I spoke. So here's one complaint. What with accelerator problems, stabilizer problems, power window problems, and I can't recall what else they've recalled on this vehicle, now I have to add a charcoal canister that wasn't adequately protected from road water at the time of manufacture. It's like I bought this vehicle before Toyota was done building it, and the completion of manufacturing has taken 5+ yrs!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 052016

Dealer says that charcoal cannister, which is part of evaporative system, has failed by allowing water to ruin charcoal. Wants $1500 to repair. Says tsb for this doesn't cover my vehicle due to mileage (would be covered in ca). Fuel fumes can accumulate if this is not repaired.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA