2011 Toyota RAV4 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota RAV4:

2011 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Feb 152016

While driving 55-60 on a highway, my anti-skid warning light came on, the 4wheel drive light a half hour later, followed by the engine light aprx 1 hr later. The following morning, while driving, the cruise control went out on me, the car unexpectedly slowed and I noticed the cruise light flashing on and off. The remote start did not work on day #3, as I traveled to have the car repaired at serra Toyota, traverse city, mi. The service tech told me that "the mechanic literally poured water out of the evap canister, we have seen other rav's w this problem and we have a bulletin on it, so Toyota is aware. The canister is faulty, which allowed road water, (very wet, slushy roads at time), to get in and damage the wiring." The service tech also told me that the new canister/hose replacement system addresses this issue. I emailed Toyota Japan, they had "henry kerry of Toyota executive headquarters, torrence, calif call me. Mr. Kerry stated that the problem was related to overfilling the gas tank. I told him that the tech said "(they) literally poured water out and they had seen this problem previously." Mr. Kerry advised that "I should have talked to the service manager to get the factual info." Bottom line: I feel that I should have been notified that electrical failure could occur, due to canister/hose failure and that a new part had been developed which, once installed, would prevent (road) water from shorting out the wiring. (the work order receipt states: ("water intrusion into evap system") thanks much, scott mclennan 989 370-0122

- Boyne City, MI, USA

Sep 022015

RAV4 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Rav4. The contact stated that during rain weather conditions, the radio failed to function. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V577000 (visibility/wipes) and stated that the part needed for the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 04/20/16 the consumer stated the seat belts in the rear, did not function properly and a recall had been issued due to them being unsafe. Updated 04/28/16.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 062015

RAV4 4-cyl

About a year ago, I packed my car to go on vacation. I put the dog in the car and returned to my house to get something. When I returned to the car, it was locked. I assumed I had inadvertently pushed the lock button on the remote so ignored it. Over the last 6 months, this has happened more frequently. On July 6, 2015, my mother and I went to walmart. I went in and she stayed in the car. When I returned the door was locked and she could not open it with the power door lock on the door, so I had to use my remote. Today, I was taking things out of the rear compartment and the keys were hanging in the door to the house. I heard the car door lock itself. I took it to the dealership and we could open the door and watch it lock itself in less than one minute of being opened. During that time, the inside electronic door locks would not work to open the door, it would only open with the remote or the manual door lock. The dealership wants me to bring the car in for inspection tomorrow, but Toyota corporate will not assure me that I won't have to pay for the diagnosis of this problem. I feel this is a safety feature of the Rav4 and they should be willing to diagnose this for free. If they don't, I will not take the car in. I told them I am very concerned that this may happen to someone else and could involve children getting locked in a car without the ability to unlock the door (if they don't know how to use the manual lock)....updated 09/11/15 updated 10/13/15

- Westminster, MD, USA

Feb 052015

RAV4 6-cyl

I was driving down Suburban road at approx 20-25 mph before attempting to come to a complete stop at a red light. The brakes lost power and engine quickly redlined to 6000 RPM. It was only by immediately shifting into neutral that I avoided running a redlight and plowing through an intersection. I placed in park and shut off engine within 3-5 seconds to avoid engine damage. I waited about 10-15 seconds stuck at a red light before restarting engine and limping it back home less than half a mile away.

- Eagan, MN, USA