5.0

2011 Toyota RAV4 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Toyota RAV4:

2011 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

May 142016

RAV4

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Rav4. While driving approximately 65 mph, the steering wheel veered to the left without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to a local dealer. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the shocks were leaking oil and needed to be replaced. The shocks were not replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V096000 (seat belts) and 15V577000 (visibility/wiper). The failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

May 312016

RAV4

I brought my car in a for four wheel alignment becuase I replaced four tires. The rear tires could not be aligned because the the nuts for adjusting the rear wheel alignment were frozen and could not be removed. In order for the car to be aligned, the rear tire rod needs to be replaced per Toyota certified dealership. There was a recall on this back in August 2013 ( for 2006-2011 Rav4), however, my particular VIN number does not qualify for the recall thus I have to pay out of pocket in order to for my car to be aligned correctly (replaced the rear rod). I feel that this VIN and others should have qualified for the recall.

- Avon, CT, USA

Dec 012011

RAV4

The contact owns a 2011 Toyota Rav4. While driving at speeds over 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to shake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 4,000.

- Vianna, VA, USA

Aug 082015

RAV4

The 2011 Toyota rav 4 was in a Toyota repair shop for an oil change. We requested a look at brakes because of the rear end noise and vibration on braking. The shop call to say our tires had worn on the inner edge to such a dangerous degree that they would not advise travel. We carefully drove a few miles to our tire store because of the service and warranty. They agreed to prorate the tires. A mechanic suggested they saw the same problem with the same model the week prior. They said it was a rear suspension issue. I checked for other people having this issue and found that Toyota had known about the problem and we're forced into a recall by the U S government. They are keeping the information from the public. We could have died in an accident due to the tires. The front tires are in perfect shape and past experience with this brand did not indicate any problems. The real issue is why did Toyota not tell us about the recall while we were in the shop and do something to insure our safety?? we could have died.

- Valatie, NY, USA

Jul 012014

RAV4

2011 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to the rear lower suspension arms recall notice. The consumer stated the amount of time to get an appointment, was unreasonable.

- Mililani, HI, USA

Aug 052011

RAV4

Loud bang which sounds like a hammer hitting the bottom of the vehicle. Problem first noticed around 1000 miles and happens frequently. It happens typically when passengers are in the middle and or 3rd row seats at speeds usually above 25 miles per hour. This is an ongoing problem with my 4 wheel drive, 3rd row seat Rav4 now at 73K miles. It can happen within a few miles of each incident or go hundreds of miles before it happens again. Very alarming. I have taken it into the dealer several times yet every time their technicians take the vehicle for test drive, they can not replicate the problem.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Nov 292013

RAV4 4-cyl

2011 Toyota rav 4. consumer writes in regards to suspension system problems. The consumer stated there was a loud noise coming from the suspension, when going over a bump. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem.

- West New York, NJ, USA

Apr 042013

RAV4 4-cyl

While driving North in stop and go traffic on dan ryan expressway I was accelerating from about 20 mph to about 35 mph, when the car started to vibrate very bad, as if all four wheels had hit the rumble strip on the edge of the road. The car has been riding a lot rougher since about Jan 30th.

- Chicago , IL, USA