2016 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota RAV4:

2016 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments

Apr 182016

Toyota Rav4 limited-at all times of incidences this vehicle was in motion. Safety issue!!! 1. I purchased the vehicle March 26, 2016, to commute to new job. 2. highway-warning 1 on apx 4/4 Monday (9 days after purchase) "check Toyota park assist have vehicle checked by a dealer" the cause was snow on sensors....since we are in Montana there will be snow on sensors at least 8 months a year. 4. highway-warning 2 on apx 4/18/16 "AWD system malffunction 2 wheeldrive mode engaged dealer said loose gas cap caused this. 5. hiway-apx 4/12/16-4/14/16 I was passing a double car hauler. The car hauler was going about 50-60 on incline around a corner. I was going 80 (speed limit) with 2 vehicles behind me at the same speed. We were all passing the car hauler. All of a sudden warning sounds in front of car went off and car braked to almost an immediate stop then alarms in back of cars were going off because the cars behind me were coming up on my rear. I pressed the gas and the brake and nothing, turned the wheel toward left and car started to go. I am fearful of this vehicle. I am a widow and am afraid to put my children in it. I parked the car after this incident and contacted Toyota manufacturer. They rejected repurchase. I had been in constant contact with dealer (over 20 logged calls and almost 100 texts) they offered to trade vehicle at $28K for a vehicle that was 2 weeks old. I owed $34K on it. That is a loss of $6000 in 2 weeks on a vehicle with safety issues. The car had 63 miles on it when I drove it off the lot, I drove from dealership to home which was 225+ miles. Then I commuted from home to new job from (80 miles each way to work) from March 28-April 18=16 work days and 1 or 2 overtime days/visit friends (3,168 miles) I am at about 3,300 miles now.

- Helena, MT, USA

Apr 232016

The cruise control on my 2016 Rav4 le AWD with 6 speed automatic transmission is very erratic. At highway speed (60-70 mph) it is fine on a flat road, but at the slightest incline will downshift to fifth, then slam into fourth gear with the engine rpms going up to over 4000. It will then either stay downshifted or constantly shift up and down until I am well over the top of the hill. The dealer said they all do that, so it's normal. I've stopped using the cruise because I'm concerned about possible engine and transmission damage from the harsh shifting and high rpms, but it also is very distracting to the driver which makes it a safety issue. I've complained to "ask Toyota" customer service twice. They just say they'll pass along my complaint to the proper department.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2016 Toyota Rav4. The vehicle accelerated forward while the contact's father was gently depressing the brake pedal. The contact's father depressed the brake pedal all the way down, but the vehicle continued to accelerate and struck a gate. The contact stated that her father had to remove the key from the ignition in order to stop the vehicle. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and diagnosed, but no failure was detected. The front bumper was damaged. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 3,500.

- Taylor, MI, USA