1.4

2001 Toyota Sequoia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 152009

Sequoia 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. The entire undercarriage is completely rusted out. Front to back, side to side. The rust has spread to the spare and I fear the spare could one day fall off and cause serious damage to vehicles and humans. Our Sequoia was bought new with only 14 miles on it at the time. It has been mostly garaged kept and currently has less than 60,000 miles. The exterior and interior are in excellent condition. We purchased the truck in Dec 2000 and we 1st noticed the rust in 2008 when a service person brought it to our attention while he was rotating our tires.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Feb 112012

Sequoia

I took my vehicle in for an oil change and tire rotation and then received a call from the olathe Toyota dealership indicating my vehicle was unfit to drive due to rust damage on the under-carriage. They indicated the transmission crossmembers has a 12-inch long section of rust and there are som small holes on the passenger side. The frame is weak and potentially unsafe. I understand Toyota has recalled the 2000-2003 Tundra and possibly Tacoma for this rust damage. If I understand correctly, the Sequoia is built on the same framework as the Tundra so I would assume a recall on the Sequoia's would be necessary as well. I would normally not consider buying a 10-year old vehicle but due to the fact it was a Toyota and they are known for long-lasting vehicle lives, I had no concerns. Now it seems I may have a $13K investment that is a danger to my family and worth next to nothing based upon the rust damage and serious implications it could cause.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jan 192012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The frame rusted through near the rear wheels making the car not safe to drive.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Sep 012006

Sequoia 8-cyl

Badly decomposing frame since past 5 years, can poke a finger through frame rails, compromising suspension attachment points/welds. 229,000 miles, garaged 100%, 11 years old. Toyota claim filed, case 1111161824. Toyota is telling different claimants different things, told me the Tundra is the only vehicle effected and that frames are being replaced. On edmunds.com/Sequoia forum/ I see that Toyota is replacing Sequoia frames or buying vehicles above kelly bb pricing. Their representative who helped me file the above claim told me, and I quote "Toyota has no current complains about this Sequoia frame rot problem". that is an out and out lie. One Toyota mechanic advised me to not drive my vehicle and especially not to tow anything with it, and that the Tundra frame is the same as Sequoia - same place of assembly too?. effectively, Toyota has made my investment in this vehicle worthless as I cannot sell it, nor will it pass inspection, despite the interior and drive train being very serviceable. A failure at speed of this frame or suspension components by unaware owners can cause catastrophic results. Toyota owns its owners 1. an alert about possible dangers 2. a consistent response, one that doesn't muddy the waters with accusations that the vehicle was subject to road salt. 3. a remedy for owners so their investment is not reduced to zero and they have alternatives for safety. I will be contacting a lawyer and the local tv station. I hope we can rely on the NHTSA to take the following action: 1. start a serious investigation about this safety defect; many effected vehicles are not nearly as old as mine, nor from northern states where road salt is used 2. add a selection for frame defects in this complaint web page - currently you have just body. Thank you

- Holliston, MA, USA

Oct 172011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon having vehicle inspected by ase-cert. Tech., I was informed that 18"-24" of the vehicle's left main frame rail was rotted/rusted through along the bottom surface. The rotted section is located adjacent to the transmission cross-member on the left side, as well as smaller perforations on the right main frame rail in the same location (transmission cross member). Also, the frame rail is rotted through at the junction where the spare tire carrier support is welded to the frame. Technicians have advised that the vehicle is definitely unsafe to drive, as frame is in danger of collapsing, as well as spare tire falling off vehicle while in operation. Its been brought to local Toyota dealership for further assessment. Factory "truck frame team" was contacted to discuss replacement of frame, as done in response to the rusted frame epidemic on Tundra. This produced no results other than Toyota stating that "there are no problems with Sequoia frames", and "there is no program to replace them". Toyota will* repair or replace this frame, nor offer any assistance with vehicle that is in otherwise excellent condition, with a book values of $9000-$10,000, now made worthless and un-drivable due to the rusted frame. There are many dozens of other identical complaints regarding dangerously rusted/rotted frames on 2001-2003 Sequoias with rust damage all in the exact same locations, on this NHTSA website (see listings), but Toyota will not admit to this obvious design/material defect, as they have with the Tundra, which uses a nearly identical frame from same manufacturer and assembled in the same factory. Neither has the NHTSA yet initiated any sort of intervention on behalf of consumers. Early Sequoia owners in northern us/Canada would be well advised to have their vehicle frames inspected by qualified technician, and report those findings immediately.

- Berlin, NH, USA

Sep 012011

Sequoia

The entire undercarriage of the vehicle is heavily rusted. The rust began almost immediately after purchase and has gotten progressively worse over the years. I fear the entire undercarriage or body will fail. Toyota refuses to inspect the problem at their cost.

- Mendham, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Sequoia

Extensive rust on entire under carriage and frame

- Quincy, MA, USA

Nov 302010

Sequoia

Had vehicle in for routine maintenance and was told the frame was rotted and had a whole the size of 2 fingers. This vehicle has the same frame as the 2001 Toyota Tundra which was recalled by Toyota due to excessive rusting. I called Toyota and was told they have no current recalls or fixes for this vehicle at this time. This is the same failure as the Tundra which can cause the underneath spare tire to dislodge during operation.

- Barre, VT, USA