2001 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

May 242014

Sequoia 8-cyl

To whom it may concern, on May 24, 2014, I was traveling with my kids through interstate 15 South at approximately 65 miles per hour. My truck pulled me to the right in which I had to react fast and hold on to the steering wheel with both hands. Vsc-trac off light turned on with a beeping noise. I tried to break and my truck lost controlled and began making a grinding metal noise. I took my foot off the break and steered straight. This lasted about 10 seconds. I had my kids with me. If I hadn't reacted fast, we were going to be thrown off the freeway. I took it in to the mechanic and the computer scanner showed-no active faults. Vsc- is the vehicle stability control. The vsc auto engages and disengages. There's a button that turns off and off in the middle of the dashboard. I never touch this button. This vsc lights off and on and pulls the car without a warning. I called the dealership in escondido and spoke to mike in the service department. He said he's never heard anybody complain about this. I found out that there's a recall in the 2003 Toyota Sequoia. My truck has 189000 miles. I bought this car for safety for my children and it is very scary to have this happen to us. I have been researching this and there's other people having this happen to them but Toyota doesn't want to do a recall on this safety issue. There is a recall on the frame of 2001 Toyota Sequoia. Please assist us with this safety problem.

- Salton City, CA, USA

Mar 042013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 65 mph on the freeway all of a sudden the vsc trac turns on and my steering wheel jerked to the right almost hiding the vehicle on the right lane.. I noticed a grinding noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The traction light illuminated.its very hard to slow down. Its if I hit a puddle of water but this was on a sunny and clear day. This happened numerous of times. Now the truck just sits in my driveway due to the scare of driving it and someone getting killed.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jan 152013

Sequoia 8-cyl

1.on dry pavement circular entrance/exit ramps the vehicle skid control system kicks in at about 35-40 mph which is not only alarming but possibly dangerous if someone is tailgating. I'm assuming this is something related to pulling G forces since it's never done this in a straight line. 2.I tested under both 2wd and 4WD and it behaved the same. 3.when I kicked in the vsc off button under 4WD before entering the ramp, the vsc did not kick in, so that seems to be working. See numerous other identical complaints at this link:

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jan 012004

Vsc light illumination/failures initially appeared at 42,000 miles, very intermittent and seemingly random. Frequency increased after 75,000 miles; ABS light appeared later. 1. vsc off light illuminated (variable speed control) initially at intermittent time while driving, now illuminated full-time. 2. vsc trac light illuminated (variable speed control) initially at intermittent time while driving, now illuminated full-time. 3. ABS light illuminated (anti lock brakes) initially at intermittent time while driving, now illuminated full-time. ABS now inoperable. Tested to validate inoperable status - full brake lockup, no ABS operation. Variable speed control now inoperable. Spun out twice recently in slow speed right hand off-camber turn on wet pavement.

- Waterford, VA, USA

Sep 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving at 45 mph + a grinding noise starts coming from the front, no brake pedal, then a shaking sensation on the steering wheel, the ABS/vcs lights start blinking. Pulled over and then it stopped. Very dangerous situation.

- College Station, TX, USA

Dec 172013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle had experienced intermittent stability/traction control trouble lights in cold weather. While driving in sub freezing weather on wet heavily salted nearly clear (possible slight slush from snow dusting) interstate along a straight smooth slight upgrade stretch, the vehicle without diver action (steering, braking, or acceleration) experienced a rear end swerve to the right and inability to control. Result was leaving the right side of the roadway down a 25-30 foot embankment (no guardrail) and a vehicle roll (one time, ending up wheels down, still running). Travel was at or below that of traffic. No other vehicles experienced difficulty on the same stretch of road. It is believed that a sudden random actuation of the stability/traction control system initiated the event. This appears to be a generic issue with the Toyota system spanning several models and years.

- Signal Mountain, TN, USA

Jun 192013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving on a smooth pavement the vsc/trac system engages for no reason. Sounding off the internal chime and turning the vsc/trac lights on the dash. The ABS system kicks in and grinds on the brakes. Loss of steering is present as the vehicle pulls to one side.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Nov 222012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Last year my car while traveling at a speed of 50 mph just collapsed. My ball joints fell completely off. My the grace of god I wasn't killed because I was on the interstate. I have since had it repaired but not by a Toyota dealer. At the time as now, all my lights were lit vsc trac, ABS etc. I have had this problem throughout having this Toyota and it has been very costly. Now as we speak my car is at a dealer and I can only imagine they will tell me it's the faulty computer chip. I will also have them check for rust since I'm hearing of all these cases of rust. My car has been in tip top shape due to my husbands knowledge of cars. However, some of these reports appear to be incidents beyond our control. I'm lucky to be alive. I guess if I had been killed Toyota would still be denying their product is faulty. I would like Toyota to step up and pay for some of these issues I've had and if my car needs this expensive computer chip..ABS is engaging my brakes they pay for it. This is the second time I've made a report and I haven't heard anything from Toyota...

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 272013

Sequoia 8-cyl

After coming back from trip, me and my family were heading home (we were about 2 miles from home), and upon coming to a red light, I stepped the brake pedal on my 2001 Toyota Sequoia, and the car came to a complete stop; but when the green light traffic came on, and as soon as I let go of the brake pedal, and about to press the gas pedal, the car just stalled ( also with battery light on indication lit, check engine on, ABS lit, vsc trac lit, vsc off lit, brake light indication lit, ABS light). So, first thing I did is turn off the engine, put the car in the park gear ( at the same time my foot is on the brake pedal), but as soon as I turn on the engine, put the car in drive and let go of the brake pedal, the car stalled again. Next thing I did is let 2 people push the car while in neutral to put the car in a safe place where there is no traffic, upon them pushing the car, they left, and the car was still running even no one pushing it, and came the scariest 20 seconds of my life, car made a loud annoying grinding sound, car still moving, even with emergency brake on, my foot on the brake, key removed from ignition, car placed in park, in other words I had no control of the car. After 20 seconds, the car came to a complete stop, and we got out of the car scared and shaking, I thought we were going to die that day, but thank god the car stopped, or maybe my kids angels helped avoided an accident. Also good thing there was no heavy incoming traffic, there was 1 or 2 cars only in the way that stayed out of our way. I need help, Toyota has to recall and fix it because is a safety issue and also it is the right thing to do, if not I will be reporting these to the better business bureau and the local state consumer Agency.

- National City, CA, USA

Jul 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving the family from co to ca. On the last leg between las vegas and los angeles. Cruising along at 75 when the vsc and trac off lights came on. My truck immediately braked and pulled to the left while decelerating. Longest 5 seconds of my life. Luckily there was no one to my immediate left. Taking it to a dealer shortly for consultation. Someone will get hurt if this is not addressed!

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jun 072013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc and trac off lights came on. The Sequoia made a scrubbing noise and the vehicle skidded left and right a few times. Scary! the lights remained on. They went off later that night, but have come back on at least three other times since then. The vehicle has skidded all but one time. There should be a recall on this. I have seen many complaints but no recalls or help. The speed does not matter and there is no warning that this is about to happen. Help!

- Tifton, GA, USA

Mar 282013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving forward from a stopped position on a flat, level, paved road with the outside temperature at 72, the vsc (vehicle skid control) activated and nearly pulled me into the lane next to me. There were no pot holes or anything in the road that would've caused it. It stopped after a few seconds and then again, about two minutes later at a 25mph speed, the system activated again and I had no control of the brakes or steering while the system was activating. The car is great shape, one-owner, well maintained and there seems to be a history with Toyota and the vsc system. Very dangerous situations that the vsc put me in.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Mar 162013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While I was driving the vsc trac light came on, the vehicle started grinding while I was pressing the gas and brakes. The vehicle felt as if it was loosing power, I almost lost control of the steering wheel because car was losing power and control. The ABS light also came on and vehicle started shaking very badly. This happens several times while I'm driving vehicle. I have taken it to be serviced from the dealer but the problem still exists. I will talk with an attorney about these problems because I am very afraid of a serious accident while driving my wife and kids.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 152013

The vsc trac lights have came on and will not go off.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 092013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Traveling on the freeway at a speed of 55 miles the vcs trac control light came on and the brakes were applied with out me hitting the breaks, I lost control of the steering for a slight second, the truck swerved to the left, it almost cause me to hit a car on the left of me on the freeway. Once I turned the car off, the vcs trac lights turned off, then it happened again on the street at a lower speed of 45 mile the vcs trac light started to flash and the brakes were applied and the truck swerved to the left, the lights stayed on again until I turned off the truck.

- Concord, CA, USA

Mar 032013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia with 120,000 miles on it and on 3/3/13 I had a very bad incident happen with the vehicle stability control (vsc). The problem happened twice within less than a mile. I was driving on sunny day on a straightaway about 35 mph both times when out of nowhere the vsc light came on and the steering wheel started to shake violently, the brakes pedal felt like something had broken with it, and it would not allowing me to stop the vehicle. The car for lack of a better way to word it was acting like it was possessed. At this point I have very little control over the vehicle and I had to do something asap. I was able to pull off to the side of the road on a very steep downward bank. I was losing control of the vehicle and I was very lucky to have not been on a major highway. I had 2 adults and 4 children in the vehicle when this happened and I feel luck that there was no accident and no one was hurt or killed! I am now at the point that I"M scarred to drive my vehicle. Think about this, what a horrible feeling to have to deal with and when will this happen again" so now I am at the point do I sell it because I don't trust it and pass on a problem to another person.

- York, PA, USA

Dec 032012

This was the first incident: As I was driving then suddenly the truck started to beep and moves back and forth and made a braking sound. And I went into the side and hit a small post and the seat belt tighten. Now my back has been hurting me since. And some lights were on. The vsc trac and trac off lights were on. Then after that one I have been driving very careful but it will still do the same thing. The beep starts and the swirling back and forth. But I have been driving slower too so I don't get out of control. This is very scary. After the I turn off the truck the lights are not on. But the thing is that it just happens. I have no I idea when or what time. I hope I can get help on fixing this problem. Thank you

- Sanger, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Toyota Sequoia and experienced a loss of steering control on three separate occasions. The first incident occurred while driving through a shopping mall parking lot at 5 mph. Our vehicle shuddered and swerved to the right while a buzzer went off & then the vsc and trac off lights illuminated. The next two incidents occurred over the next few days while driving on the highway between 20-25 mph. On both occasions our vehicle lost control and veered to the right before I was able to gain control of the vehicle. This is a serious life safety defect that has been acknowledged by Toyota for the 2003 Sequoia's and by the vast amount of complaints should extend to earlier models as well. I recently took our Sequoia into a mechanic and their trouble shooting revealed that the skid control ECU would need to be replaced, costing over $3400.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Oct 072012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was driving down major interstate when the vsc warning came on with buzzer. Brakes felt like they were being ground down, engine decelerated, and could feel bumping and grinding on brake pedal. Pulled over and checked under car, found nothing. Got back on interstate and same thing happened only this time the system turned itself off. Can not turn the vsc off with the button provided. Research on internet reveals not an unique issue with Sequoia. Has also happened with Tundra and other Toyota with vsc system. No fix available as of 09/30/2012 that can be found.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Wife was pulling off from a stoplight when the traction control system light (skidding car icon) and warning buzzer came on and the vehicle started making a loud grinding sound, vibrating, and pulling to the right. She pulled the vehicle over, turned it off, and called me to come swap vehicles with her. When I started the car, of course, the symptoms had gone away. Several days later on a family trip, I was driving the vehicle on the interstate at 65-70 mph when the vehicle did the same thing she had described. We pulled over, the noise stopped, and then the vsc/trac and trac off came on. This should be a recall fix. Too many vehicles have had this problem, over several production years (2003's actually have a recall for a similar issue). However, reading various forums has made me think Toyota doesn't even know the root cause of this. But it's definitely a safety issue that needs to be checked out.

- Luling, LA, USA