2001 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Sequoia:

2001 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Aug 032012

Today driving at 40mph my 2001 Sequoia suddenly jolted and brake with a terrible grinding noise, this while I was using the gas pedal! it was very scary and shocking that it could possibly do such an unsafe maneuver. My children & I were terrified as the beeping started and then a steady noise while the grinding persisted. I am so glad the car behind us did not plow into us, and still do not know how they did not. To everyone that has stated this: "people will be killed because of this", you are very correct. It is dangerous to have such a faulty system in a car on the road. We had is towed away, and frankly I know not what to do since reading all of these other incidents. Even if we have it fixed, it sounds like it will not cease. I had this happen twice in the last 2 days, but thought I'd run over a pothole or something. Today, it was smooth pavement and nice weather. We really need a recall to save lives!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 022011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was driving down major interstate when the vsc warning came on with buzzer. Brakes felt like they were being ground down, engine decelerated, and could feel bumping and grinding on brake pedal. Pulled over and checked under car, found nothing. Got back on interstate and same thing happened only this time the system turned itself off. Can not turn the vsc off with the button provided. Research on internet reveals not an unique issue with Sequoia. Has also happened with Tundra and other Toyota with vsc system. No fix available as of 07/30/2012 that can be found.

- Montpelier, VA, USA

Jul 262012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle's traction control system malfunctioned while driving on dry flat pavement. Vsc and trac control lights came on, vehicle pulled hard to the right, made loud grinding noise, and was extremely difficult to control steering and braking. This continued for approximately one minute, stopped, and then did it again. This is a very dangerous situation which could potentially lead to fatal accident if it occurs at higher speeds. It happened with our children in the car and scared everyone. This is the second time it has happened to us, but appears to be a very common problem with this make/model. I would like to see a recall.

- Stagecoach, TX, USA

Jul 052011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The Sequoia vsc trac, vsc off sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise, and lose power. And the roll over system light come on.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Jun 042012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Two days ago, I happened to be on my way home on a back road and only going around 40 mph when my stability control light, vsc trac, and trac off light came on and my car started making a beeping noise and I could not control my vehicle. This is for a 2001 Toyota Sequoia. I have seen many complaints since on different forums about this same problem. What can be done about this problem? I am very disappointed with Toyota and hope that there will be a recall on this problem or they could be facing some lawsuits if these kind of problems persist and someone gets injured or even killed because of negligence on Toyota's part. As for me and my family, we have owned Toyota vehicles for years, my great uncle was even asked to be in a Toyota commercial because of the devotion our family has had to Toyota. I really hope they do the right thing because there will be challenges made against their company if not.

- Franklin, GA, USA

May 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Had just turned onto a road at 25 mph and vcs/trac lights came on, started beeping, made a grinding noise and was hard to steer, pulled off road as thinking I had ran over something....very scared. Now does it approximately 2 X weekly with no rhyme or reason.

- Sebring, FL, USA

Apr 062012

Recently had new tires installed, while accelerating up freeway on ramp I could feel power being taken away, looked down and skid control light was lit up. Asked mechanic about it and recommended zero point calibration to rest sensors for steering yaw and pitch. After zpc vsc trac and vsc off lights were on. Code pulled C1231 steering angle. Zpc again. Code and lights still, code will not clear with Toyota intelligent 2 scanner. Monitoring steering sensor with scanner show both positive and negative numbers with zero at wheels straight. Mechanic want to change out spendy vsc cpu and translate cpu and says that is no guarantee to fix. I am driving it with lights one due to unable to pay $2K for something out of know where and no part physically broke to promote. In looking around I see this is not an isolated issue.

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Apr 192012

Was driving out my driveway, not going fast at all...turned on a major street and suddenly, a picture of the skidding car appeared and then the trac/vsc lights came on with a horrendous noise. Took car to the local Toyota dealership and of course they couldn't find anything wrong with it after relinquishing $100 diagnostic fee. The light and noise from the vsc engaging or disengaging is really loud and has happened every day since the initial issue. Does this present a problem? I'm afraid to drive my car but is very much needed for work and recreational activities. I've searched online and it appears that this is an ongoing issue that Toyota is aware of but fail to do a recall.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 072012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle: Toyota Sequoia 2001 4WD ltd temperature: 87 degrees F conditions: Sunny & clear - no rain/water present - no obvious slippery conditions surface: Paved surface road accessories active: Air conditioning was on & radio was on while traveling at approximately 35 mph in a straight line the traction control light illuminated (vehicle symbol that includes 3 wavy lines) and sounded an audible signal immediately followed by the "vsc trac" & "vsc off" lights illuminating. To memory, the accelerator pedal was being pressed as normal. When the above dashboard lights illuminated a negative sensation could be felt through the steering wheel, but the vehicle did not veer off course. Next, the emergency flasher hazard light was turned on, the A/C & radio were turned off and the four main windows were lowered to their full down positions by the driver and the vehicle was driven to a side street approximately 1/8 mile ahead, stopped and parked. The driver kept the vehicle running. The vehicle was then inspected by the driver for signs of obvious mechanical failure. The brake, driveline and suspension components did not show any obvious signs of failure. The owner's manual was checked and it did not indicate that the vehicle could not be driven in the current state. The vehicle's A/C system was switched back on (the radio was left off) and the vehicle was then driven approximately 10 miles, parked and turned off. After approximately 4 hours of the vehicle being parked & not running the vehicle was restarted. The previous dashboard lights at first did not illuminate. After approximately 1/4 mile of driving the "vsc trac" & "vsc off" lights illuminated again upon depressing the brake pedal. Vehicle was driven approximately 50 miles, parked and turned off. There were no unusual mechanical sensations felt or heard during either 10 or 50 mile drives.

- Davenport, FL, USA

Feb 272006

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc light was coming on intermittently. Vehicle(Sequoia) was still under warranty so the dealership replaced the skid control ECU. The vsc light started coming back on intermittently approximately one year later. Since the vehicle was out of warranty Toyota said it would cost approximately $2400 to fix. Since the lights only came on intermittently without any other problems and I didn't have the money to spare I didn't get the repairs done. While having my rotors turned at the dealership the mechanic said they noticed the vsc light was on. They said they worked on my vehicle for 3 hrs(at no charge-just doing me a favor)) to try and remedy the vsc light problem. When I left the dealership I got on the highway and not 2 miles down the road the warning lights and ABS lights were coming on, I started hearing warning beeps, the car started vibrating violently and pulled to the right. Scared the heck out of me! I pulled over and had the car towed back to the dealership. Of course the dealership said it was skid control ECU and would cost $2400 to fix the problem. I have taken excellent care of this car and would fix it if I didn't think it would happen again. Because of necessity I have been driving the car and dealing with the daily scare but lately it has been getting so bad that I will probably have to trade it in before it causes an accident.

- Canton, GA, USA

Feb 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

ABS, trac control, and vsc light come on intermittently all at the same time. There is a total loss of ABS and traction control - very scary on icy roads. Problem comes and goes. Cannot seem to get a fault code. Based on the postings I see, this is a known problem.

- Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Jan 222009

The "vsc off" and vsc skid lights came on and has remained on to the present date. When the lights came on all vsc functions stopped. Vehicle was taken to the dealership. Repair was not under any warranty. An estimate of approximately $2200 was given to replace the vehicles ECU. No repair was made. Occasionally the vehicle would lose power under moderate acceleration for a brief period (usually less than 2 seconds) as if something has cut power 20-30%. I suspect it was the vsc system trying to cut on or engage. This has not happened for some time. Vehicle now has 178000 miles.

- Delran, NJ, USA

Nov 062011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Sudden loss of acceleration on highway. Vsc and trac light came on, then could not accelerate. Had to pull over extremely fast before getting rear ended by other vehicles. Can would not accelerate at all. Check engine light came on as well. Extremely dangerous condition and could have been severely hurt with entire family in car. Luckily there was a shoulder to pull off on, otherwise, we would have been in an terrible accident. Car was not safe at all! Toyota needs to know about this vsc issue!

- Davidson, NC, USA

Nov 042011

Driving my recently purchased 2001 Sequoia and the vsc system goes off like we're on ice. Does it until the system stays off. It has been doing this randomly. Very scary... recall needs to be done.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 012003

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle skid control light, ABS, and vsc off lights come on. Get grinding noise from right front wheel as the ABS applies the brake and steering wheel and vehicle pulls extremely to the right. Almost loose control of vehicle if your not expecting it. This happens on dry pavement.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Jul 062011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc lights come on and cause a tempoary loss of power. The vehicle front ends also starts to shake which cause a tempoary loss of controll. This started 6 months ago and is happaning daily.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jan 282010

Vsc, ABS, trac, and brake warning lights all on constantly. When first observed, only occurred during cold weather. Lights did not come on when weather and car was warm. Starting 2010, these warning lights have constantly been on. Toyota dealer seemed unsure of problem, but suspected that vsc computer needed to be replaced at a cost of $2500.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 202010

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc and other lights in dash light up and has caused the vehicles brakes to engaged without warning. Its pulls the steering wheel violently to the to left. It happens at high and low speeds. Went to dealership and they said it was the skid control computer and the cost to replace it is 1,200 dollars.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 152008

I have a 2001 Toyota Sequoia auto SR5 and there are 5 lights on steady. The vsc, track, stability, ABS, and brake lights. The lights have been on for a few years. The car drives fine, but the ABS and the track does not work. The power brake booster has been changed, with no help. I have called the dealer, but have not been there because of the money they want to check out the car. From reading on the internet, the problem sounds like a vsc unit. I scanned the car, and there are no codes. I understand that there might be a recall on the vsc unit. The dealer says no, but I am filing a complaint about safety because the vsc and the ABS does not work. Thank you for your time.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Nov 172010

My 2001 Toyota Sequoia traction control system/vehicle stability control system (vsc) or anti lock braking system (ABS) seems to be failing. This problem started about a year ago. The problem is an intermittent ratcheting or grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle which causes the wheels and steering to vibrate immensely and have feelings of lost control (stalling) while driving. This has occurred at all different road speeds and conditions.

- Harker Heights, TX, USA