2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Apr 132012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Started the vehicle and the vsc and the trac off lights illuminated and would not turn off. Took to authorized Toyota service center. Was indicated that this is a common issue with Toyota Sequoia and that there has been a service recall on 2003 models but not for 2002. Appears to be a common problem across model years.

- Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Jun 062009

Sequoia

Same problem like everyone else I've read about. The traction control, vsc, brake light, and ABS light on. Dealership says no recall but they recalled all 2003 models for the same issue. Vehicle lights are off when vehicle is started, after 2-3 miles all the lights come on then the car is hard to handle due to traction control making the car unstable. This has been occurring for quite a while now. The vsc/trac light on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia comes on after driving for a few minutes. When this occurs it feels like the vehicle looses power and goes into "anti lock" mode. It's a scary feeling when driving at highway speeds. Once the vsc warning lights come on the vehicle drives normally, will do it again and again. The dealership said that it cost $800 dollars to repair. I can't afford to have the repair made and feel I should not have to. If the 2003 model has been recalled for the same problem and so many other 2002 Sequoia owners have reported the same problem, why shouldn't our trucks also qualify for recall and dealer repair at no cost to us. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on it's product and satisfy all ownere/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Nov 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving at 60 mph the vsc lights came on and the vehicle went to the right by itself.I slow down, and then the skid traction lights came on and a loud noise was coming out of the front....I think that if I was driving faster I could of have an accident...the same thing happened yesterday...

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Sequoia 8-cyl

To start, I want to stress that I do not understand why there is no recall for this problem. The vsc trac, ABS, skid control and brake lights all came on and stayed on as of the above date. Prior to that date, the vsc trac and skid lights would come on for no reason, but would go off upon turning off and restarting the car. When the lights came on and stayed on, I read the owner's manual and based on that information, was worried the brakes would not work, so I called the dealer. When I spoke to someone in the dealer's repair shop about the problem before I brought the car in, he said that the warning lights meant that my ABS system was gone and it would cost $2,000 to fix. He said that it was not covered by warranty or a recall. So, I took it to the nearest auto repair shop to my home, that I had used previously. They checked the warning lights with the computer diagnostic and could not find anything wrong. Then, I took it to the dealer, and they checked the warning lights and said that the problem was low voltage with the battery. I had recently bought a new battery, so I took the car back to the first place, which checked the battery and said it was fine. So I received conflicting messages from the dealer. However, since other owners with my year/model Toyota have had safety problems with the same issue and Toyota has the same problem with the 2003 model and they have issued a recall, I believe it is a safety issue. I can't understand why no recall has been issued for the 2002 year. Please look at all of the complaints about this exact issue from so many consumers (and I'm sure plenty of others who did not take the time to report it) and act before someone is seriously injured or killed!!!!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 222011

Sequoia

My 2002 Sequoia keeps making a grinding noise when I hit the gas from a stop light and the stability control keeps coming on and there is a loss of power and I cant do nothing until he stability control quits what its doing. Point blank Toyota needs to do something with all these 2002 Sequoias and there failing traction control system. There are peoples lives at stake and I've done had all the wheel sensors cleaned and the system reset and the problem is still there. What if it was your kids that had to drive an uncontrollable vehicle you would do everything you could to see what the problem was or if it can be fixed. Were spending lots of money fixing these Sequoias and it needs to stop. All im asking is please just to consider recalling these dangerous vehicles.

- Chipley, FL, USA

Apr 052011

Sequoia

My 2002 Toyota Sequoia has a defective sensor for the vsc, brake system. I see where the 2003 Sequoia is covered, but not the 2002's. please tell me why this is the case, when the same problem is occurring.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 022011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a Sequoia 2002. No previous history of big mechanical or electrical problems. Recently I experience an incident were I lost control of the vehicle while driving in the highway. The mechanic told me I have a problem with the yaw rate sensor and that it was very costly to repair. I have found out that this is a common problem that many Sequoia owners have experience. I understand my vehicle is way past warranty period but let me tell you, in security issues warranties does not expires and Toyota should provide for repairs or recall or whatever resources they have to correct this problem.

- Caguas, PR, USA

Dec 092011

Sequoia

Vsc light, trac off light and check engine light all came on at the same time. I took vehicle to autozone and they checked the computer with the result error 5 cylinder misfire, for the check engine light, the other 2 warning lights they could not give me any advice on.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 102011

Sequoia 8-cyl

In stop and go traffic at launch vehicle ABS engaged without warning repeatedly with loud grinding noises and the ABS light, traction light and vehicle stability control light all came up. Stopped vehicle, turned off engine, waited a few minutes and all lights were gone upon restart. However this problem worsened considerably and more often through the October and November 2011 months, to the point of occurring every time the vehicle is driven as the date of this writing, December 3rd 2011. New worsened symptoms now include flashing vsc (vehicle stability control) at launch from a stop, which cuts engine power and compromises accurate steering. Sometimes the ABS, trac and vsc lights come up immediately, sometimes only after repeated intrusive activations of ABS/trac/vsc. All these warning lights also stayed on once for two entire days after leaving the vehicle rest overnight. All these dangerous random interventions of the ABS/trac/vsc electronics started after the front rotors and pads were changed by a professional mechanic (A1-unity body, 1420 howe St in vancouver, bc, Canada). The vehicle was federally and provincially inspected for Canadian importation by the same mechanic before these problems started to happen. It was deemed to be in exceptional mechanical and working condition for its age and mileage. However the vehicle is now longer safe to drive because of this ABS/trac/vsc defect, despite it being otherwise perfectly drivable. Toyota must issue the same recalls that they posted for defective trac and vsc for the 2003 year Sequoia models for the 2002 Sequoia models. Sequoia vehicles haven't received any hardware or software updates as far as ABS/trac/vsc systems are concerned between 2001 and 2003, proof being that subsequent model years from 2001 all experience the same defects for the same reasons. 2001-2002 Sequoia vsc recalls need to be issued now!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc/ABS/skid light comes on intermittently, at differing speeds, at random intervals, accompanied by grinding noise and braking action. During some of these random occurrences, especially when driving at highway speeds, the action can pull the car quickly and forcefully to the right and on a few occasions this has almost resulted in loss of control. I read on edmunds.com and other sites (including www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-Sequoia/76829-file-complaint-NHTSA-regarding-vsc-ABS/) that this is a well-known, and well documented problem! why haven't you mandated a recall for this dangerous situation"???!!! I'm concerned that my wife may be driving down the interstate and the problem will suddenly and violently pull the car to the right, and she will hit another car or lose control and crash. How many crashes, injuries, and, heaven forbid, deaths, will have to happen before you act"

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 142011

Sequoia

The vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia 2002 2 wheel drive, and I have had three incidents so far. The first time was driving in the high way at a steady speed of 65 mph when the car all of the sudden jerked to the left and a beeping went off and the track off and vsc track came on. The problem is that there is no warning at all and it just happen in a matter of seconds. My concern is that I use this vehicle just when my family is with me. I wonder if accidents with fatalities need to occur before somebody do something about it.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jul 222011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Same problem like everyone else, traction control, vsc, brake light, and ABS light on. Dealership says no recall but they recalled all 2003 models for the same issue. ABS computer module. Part# 89541-0C050. Vehicle lights are off when vehicle is started, after 2-3 miles all the lights come on then the car is hard to handle due to traction control making the car unstabable. Also with ABS light on, braking is very bad. Constant fight to keep the vehicle straight during braking.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jun 272010

Sequoia 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc/ traction control system started to malfunction in June 2011 vehicle has 128,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and they said that it needs a new yaw rate sensor @800.00dollars. Also that there is a chance that this doesn't fix the problem the SUV may need an ECU at a cost of an additional $900. That's crazy!!!! this has happened at all different range of speeds. Happening more often lately and seems very dangerous when activates and makes the vehicle unstable.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Jun 082011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have experienced chilling and dangerous malfunctions of the ABS, vsc/track system in my (owned since new) 2002 Sequoia. The "vsc/vsc track" lights illuminate and a disconnect alarm (beeping tone) is initiated. The system failure pulls the car abruptly off course. Immediate correction must be made to stay on the road. This has happened several times within the past 6 months with the system automatically re-setting itself after turning off the key and re-starting the engine. Today's incident was the most violent and the system does not re-set. Probably a good thing. Looking at user complaints on the internet causes one to wonder why the public has not been protected by the NHTSA requiring a recall. My experience has been Toyota dealerships are turning their backs on this issue. For safety sake, this should not be ignored!! I find it hard to believe that we can spend time and money to preserve a salamander in this country and yet ignore a highway safety issue such as this. The complaints on this issue have been many and around for a while. So many of us out here are reaching out to you for help. Please help by considering a recall on these vehicles. Very truly yours, ...an experienced auto mechanic, licensed and experienced (a&P) aircraft mechanic, gulfstream 550 safety & standards Pilot.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Dec 152002

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving at an unknown speed the vehicle stability control activated at a low speed for a few seconds. He stated that his vehicle would not accelerate as quickly as he thought which increased the risk of a crash. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for the failure. He was advised that his vehicle was not covered under warranty nor were there any related recalls. He was also informed that the vehicle was performing as normal. The contact referenced recall NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000, traction control system that was a recall for the 2003 vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50 and the current mileage was 130,000. Updated 3/7/11 updated 03/141//

- Olympia, WA, USA

Jan 022011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have owned my 2002 Toyota Sequoia since January of 2002. Since then we have had numerous problems with the brakes and now the vsc/ABS skid control. For starters the front brake pads and rotors had to be changed and re-surfaced with approximately 30,000 miles on the vehicle. Then the same thing again with approximately 60,000 miles. Before the second repair I did some research and saw there was a tsb for larger calipers and rotors on the vehicle. This is a classic case of cost cutting and under-engineering to increase profit margins. I went to my local Toyota dealership and ask for the repair to be done by Toyota at their expense. They would not do this for me. Now with approximately 99,000 miles on the car I have a failure of the vsc/ABS skid control. This is going to be a very expensive repair. I want Toyota to finally own up to my situation. The vsc/ABS problem is very frequent among my year model and deserves a recall. Once this system is de-activated by failure the Sequoia becomes less manuverable and more dangerous to its occupants and all those cars it shares the road with. Please join me and do what you can to make Toyota make both the underpowered rotors and calipers and the ABS skid control system mandatory recall items for the 02 Sequoia.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Oct 202004

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact noticed that the stc light and the vsc tract sensor light illuminated and the front end of the vehicle shook violently when he was driving 70 mph. The contact pulled over and could find nothing wrong. When he turned the vehicle back on, the lights were still on although it no longer shook. When he got out and came back a couple hours later, the lights had turned off. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership but the dealer could not find anything wrong. Recently, the lights illuminated more frequently and sometimes the vehicle shook and other times, it did not. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership but the dealer still could not find anything wrong. The failure continued. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership where the contact was informed that the yaw sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired at the dealership. The manufacturer had not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 142,000. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. Updated 01/26/11 updated 04/13/11

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Aug 202010

Sequoia

2002 Toyota Sequoia while driving at moderate speeds (40 - 50mph) abruptly pulls to the right, vsc traction lights come on, hear a grinding noise. After about 3 seconds the grinding noise stopped on 2 occasions and the pull to the right stops and seems fine. Vsc traction lights stay on. Dealer diagnosed the problem as the skid control computer or ECU - $650 and the yaw rate sensor $401. Has occurred 4 times in the last 2 weeks. There is a recall on the 2003 Sequoia electronic stability control system but not the 2002. There appear to be quite a few complaints about both of the parts that are mentioned above. Very dangerous driving situation when it occurs.

- Hampton Cove, AL, USA

May 072009

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the variable speed control came on and caused the vehicle to shake. The failure occurred at various speeds. The failure caused the vehicle to slow down dramatically and vehicles following behind him have no warning. The contact scheduled an appointment with the dealer. The contact stated the failure was identical to recall campaign 10V176000, electronic stability control for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact was not aware of the failure mileage. The current mileage was 166990.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Jul 202010

Sequoia

Toyota Sequoia 2002 SR5(21,000mls) while accelerating onto the highway from a rolling position the vehicle develops a bucking and will not accelerate tracking light comes on and the wheels seem to be binding you are now creating a safety issue, you are now on the highway everyone is braking trying to avoid crashing into you, after a few seconds it stops as if it never happened, but the tracking light stays on. To get it off you have to stop switch off the vehicle then start again. This problem occurs never when you are traveling over 30 mls per hr. But often from a slow to a higher speed which is very dangerous when entering the highway I become very nervous.

- Plantation, FL, USA