2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 012002

I noted today the recall of 2003 Toyota Sequoia's due to issues with the vsc system. I am concerned that this does not include the 2002 models as I have had recurring issues with the vsc since day 1. at low speed, particularly on grades or while making sharp turns, the vsc will cause my vehicle to temporarily lose power. I have reported this on several occasion both to Toyota and via telephone. It is so bad that I now know locations on my regular drives during which this will occur. So, I either go a little faster than I might otherwise on grades or I swerve out before making turns to make the angle less acute. Obviously, not the safety we'd expect in a $40K vehicle. This issue also occurs going over slightly jarring bumps such as steep speedbumps or potholes. The vehicle temporarily loses power, which in this case can be possibly even more dangerous because we are often being followed by other vehicles traveling at normal speed.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Aug 302008

While driving at even speeds and without turning the wheel or applying the brakes or gas, the car will suddenly swerve to the right all by itself. Additionally, the anti-lock brakes seem to have a problem with engaging even when I am not in a skid or heavy braking pattern. I have filed two complaints with Toyota corporate and have been told there is nothing they can do. The problem has gotten progressively worse and because I fear for my safety and the safety of my passengers, I have taken my car to a Toyota dealership and had the "yaw rate sensor" replaced. I visited two dealerships in my area and both were familiar with Sequoias (model years 2001-2003 and some 2004) having this problem. My internet research suggests there are many people having this problem. According to Toyota, my yaw rate sensor is faulty and it detects that my car is skidding even though it is not. When that happens, the skid control system attempts to correct the skid. However, since I wasn't skidding to begin with, the correction causes the car to swerve rapidly and uncontrollably to the right, generally into the next lane. I have narrowly avoided hitting cars several times. Toyota tells me that there is also a brake booster problem and that I may need to replace the skid control computer. I find this unacceptable. I do not have the $3-5K to do all this work. I did replace the yaw rate sensor, which cost me $811 and I'm hoping that will fix the problem, but this is not a maintenance or repair issue. This is a faulty part sold by a car manufacturer and they are not doing anything to help the consumers who purchased from them. Based on my personal experience, I am certain people have died or will die from this problem. It comes on so quickly that you cannot possibly avoid it. I feel this warrants immediate inspection by the NHTSA. This started a couple of years ago on a sporadic basis and has gotten progressively worse/more frequent.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 142010

Vsc trac, vsc off, all on at once.obd II codes point to speed sensor, brake pedal switch and ABS computer malfunction. Dealer recommends changing brake booster and ABS computer system. From the available information on the internet this is very common problem for first generation Toyota Sequoias. The ABS and vsc malfunction can longer stopping distance, and swerving under emergency circumstance and should be a safety concern.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 012009

I owned a 2002 Toyota Sequoia, there are times when entering a roadway or on an highway the vehicle looses power due to the vsc, ABS trac warning lights and engine light, these light comes on and stays on. I think there should be a recall on this model also, this poses a vehicle safety issue especially on the highway, I find that the vehicle looses power when going through a bumpy road. I have took it to the Toyota dealership and they said its the responsibility of the consumer to get this fix, I found that alot of customer on the internet having the same problem with this model. Toyota should fix this problem also.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 052009

Driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia at freeway speeds when sudden decelaration occurred. Vsc, traction lights came on, along with warning buzzers. Vehical also pulled hard to right. No accident or injuries. Problem corrected itself. Dealer stated that computer registered a roll over. They did nothing to solve issue.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

May 042008

Sequoia 8-cyl

Toyota Sequoia 2002 ABS, parking brake light and trak warning lights turn on and stay on when the vehicle starts. Toyota dealers say that the computer in the ABS system is bad. The vehicle when going thru a bump or an uneven terrain loses power momentarily. It happens very often, almost every time the vehicle passes on bumps. I claimed to Toyota that this is a safety design problem but Toyota refuses to fix it. Repairs are about 3 to 4 thousand dollars.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Dec 152009

I own a 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 and have had a couple near accidents in the last few weeks due to a major malfunction with the skid control sensor and braking computer. The first instance was while driving on the interstate at 70+ mph. The symptoms are that the brakes pulsate from right to left repeatedly, while I'm not braking. The car shakes violently and is difficult to keep under control. I have been to the local vero beach, Florida Toyota dealer and they recalibrated the system about a month ago. The problem persists and is apparently a common problem with this vehicle. The skid control ECU is faulty and seems to be very common on consumer chat forums I've found online. The estimate I received today from Toyota was in excess of $3,000 and still doesn't guarantee a proper repair. It seems that this problem should have been a cause for a recall years ago, but nothing has been done to date to my knowledge. I'm concerned for my family's safety and felt that your firm needs to be made aware of my situation and many other Toyota Sequoia owners from what I can tell. Please let me know if you have any advise.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 282004

2002 Toyota Sequoia has been operating since @ 62,000 miles with a non-functioning vsc/ABS system. See that this has not yet been officially recalled, but can find all kinds of info and complaints on the web about this issue. Dashboard lit up with all relative warning lights & vehicle has no ABS nor vsc functionality. How could this important safety features well documented, chronic failure not be recalled? it is not exclusive to the 2002 model year either. This is very inappropriate. How many people have to die or get injured before this well documented safety equipment failure is responsibly addressed with a recall. I hope my complaint helps the tally towards this recall. Consumers of this vehicle have bought it with a critical safety system that fails. Toyota must be made to rectify this product safety and quality issue!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 052008

2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc (traction control) system randomly fails along with brake lights coming on the dash. This happens often is and completely random. The car has been into the dealer on several instances and the dealer has been unable to correct the issue. When the vsc system fails the car looses all traction control and makes it very difficult to manager the massive rear wheel drive car in bad weather. The brake light also comes on randomly -- often scares the driver and has the potential to cause a very serious accident. Again, this happens often and then manages to re-set itself. Sometime is only lasts minutes and other times it last days. This is a very serious issue and will cause serious accidents. The is a known issue and this problem is being experienced by many Sequoia owners. Normal driving will lead up to this failure --- again it is random and not linked to any one event. When it happens the operator looses all traction control along with several lights (inclusive of the brake light) being displayed on the dash. The car is near impossible to control in the snow or rain given the rear wheels start to slip immediately. As stated, this has been into the Toyota dealer several times and they have not been able to fix the issue. Note -- this has been happening ever since the car was purchased brand new from the dealer and lately the occurrences have increased significantly.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

May 112009

I have taken my truck to multiple Toyota dealerships to identify why the vsc trac, trac lights, brake and ABS lights are on. They continue to give me the run around. The latest dealership wants to add and remove parts at will with no certain what the problem is. Originally they told me that it would be $1921 and now they are coming back saying it will be an additional $2500.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 292009

While driving a 2002 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2 wheel drive SUV near the end of March 2009, the trac off, vsc trac, brake and ABS warning lights simultaneously came on. I was traveling approximately 55 mph on a dry road at night in heavy traffic. I moved off the highway to check the manual which emphasized the possible seriousness of each light. It said to contact a Toyota dealer. I called earnhardt Toyota in mesa Arizona who finally worked on the vehicle several days later for the vsc/trac/brake/ABS problem, and a front brake vibration/pulsation. No help on the pulsation problem since I was told I needed to turn the rotors again. On the vehicle stability control/traction control/anti-lock braking system/brake warning lights, the service associate offered that it was a "common" problem, could be caused by a loose gas cap or an expensive computer (in the thousands of dollars). He sated that no "codes" were set other than a "low voltage" which could be caused by a bad battery or corroded connection. I cleaned the battery terminals completely, checked the battery, and made sure the gas cap was tight. The warning lights now come on at some point every time I drive the Sequoia. Earnhardt Toyota told me it should not affect the actual braking systems. How do they know that" being told of a false continuous or intermittent safety warning light can lull one into a questionable sense of safety. These lights and safety systems need to work reliably without having Toyota just say they know about this common problem. Does it affect actual vehicle stability control and emergency braking? on numerous internet sites, I find this same problem is mentioned frequently. Also a large number of complaints are on file now with the NHTSA. I rely on the warning lights and their underlying systems to work as advertised, but Toyota now makes me doubt that reliance. Does there have to be a large "body count" for NHTSA to order a recall to fix this well known safety problem"

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Feb 262009

When turning and accelerating to enter a roadway, the vehicle loses power due to the vsc system engaging. This defect poses a serious hazard when attempting to enter traffic. This issue is widespread and has been ongoing for several years with no resolution by the manufacturer.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Jan 042009

Check engine, vsc control and vsc lights come on when the weather is in the low 30's or colder. Usually combined with a slow accelerator pedal. Truck works okay, but pedal has to be pushed down all the way to make it go. The problem disappears when the temperature goes up to 40 degrees or above outside, and the truck has been turned off, and restarted.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Dec 262008

My vsc and vsc trac off lights in dash panel lit up. I looked in owner's manual and it said to take the vehicle to the dealer if that happens. Dealer said I had a bad ECU computer and it needed to be replaced at $2500. After this was fixed and I went to pick vehicle up I noticed the light was still on. The dealer said that another code came up and the steering angle sensor needed to be replaced at $614. I think that is crap and that these systems are related and go together and both should be covered by extended warranty.

- Boise, ID, USA

Nov 012008

Toyota Sequoia 2002 vsc off and vsc trac lights are on continuously. Internet forums indicate that this is a problem across other models like the Tundra and 4runner irrespective of model year, and that the problem is due to defective sensors shipped with the vehicles.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Nov 192008

Driving a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and suddenly the truck rattles and shakes violently and vehicle almost stops in the middle of the road and had to drive to the shoulder to avoid accident. The vehicle stability control, ABS, and traction control lights on the dash board lit up and vehicle had to stop. Turned off engine, removed key, waited and restarted truck again. Lights went off and after a short drive from incident, it happened again narrowly avoiding an accident. Vehicle violently shakes and slowed down. I had to turn off the engine again and restart. I took the truck to a local Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed and problem could not be replicated. This is not the first time this happened on this vehicle. Had history of at least 3-5 separate incidents far apart in occurrence but resolves or hides itself. No parts replaced as of yet, but aware of other owner's having same problems with vsc/ABS /trac on this Toyota model.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Nov 132002

Translate/ skid control ECU failing notice when weather is cold/wet. Once car is warmed computers work. When car was newer skid control warning lights would come light. Would reset once car was turned off/on. Research on the internet has shown that same car model and year tends to have the same problem.

- Dacula, GA, USA

Sep 202008

Vsc, traction control, anti-lock brake, and parking brake lights on the dash illuminated while driving. So, our vehicle has no antilock braking capability, traction control or skid control. Mechanic reports that the skid control ECU needs to be replaced--at a cost of $2200. Seems to be a common issue with this vehicle and Toyota needs to remedy it.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Sep 112008

The vsc system malfunctioned causing the brakes to suddenly apply while driving. This nearly sent me into another lane of traffic. I took the car to the dealer and was told the vsc computer was bad. After some research I discovered that there are numerous people with the same issue.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Aug 222008

Vsc trac, vsc off, all on at once. Obd II codes point to speed sensor, brake pedal switch and ABS computer malfunction. Dealer recommends changing brake booster and ABS computer system. From the available information on the internet this is a very common problem for first generation Toyota Sequoia's. the ABS and vsc malfunction can cause longer stopping distance, and swerving under emergency circumstances and should be a safety concern.

- San Diego, CA, USA