2002 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 252013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vsc and traction warning lights illuminated as the vehicle pulled to the right. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 186,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 092013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving on the freeway on a dry day, traveling at 65 mph and noticed the trac control, ABS, and brake lights all illuminate. I thought this was interesting. As I drove at steady 65mph I noticed the vehicle become unstable, I could feel the rear end being very wish-washy, to the point I had to slow the vehicle down to about 55 mph so that it would feel more stable. I drive this same stretch of freeway often and have never had the truck act like this until the lights became illuminated. I took the truck to my mechanic, they performed some diagnostic testing and did some investigating and found nothing wrong, no tripped codes or anything else pointing to something needing to be replaced. While they worked on the vehicle they had at some point disconnected the battery, resetting the computer, this seemed to solve the problem until last week, 9/23/2013 when the lights same lights illuminated again. This second time I never noticed the rear-end being slippery as I did in the first case. Thank goodness. I was on a long trip 600 miles from home. I worried that when these lights are illuminated that if I'm required to do a quick stop or maneuver to avoid something I may end up in a really bad situation. But with the lights being illuminated twice in a year span I'm beginning to think that this could be an ongoing problem. I'm don't like the unpredictability of when the lights illuminate.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

A week prior my vsc trac and vsc off lights came on but nothing else occurred. Now out of nowhere my vehicle will make an audible sound and start rumbling and pulling to the right and slowing but won't allow me to brake. This can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes the picture of the car with the skid marks will light up (even on dry roads) other times the ABS light will come on. Once the beeping and vibrations stop, the vsc trac and vsc off lights remain on until I turn the car off. I drive 30 miles each way to work daily. This is very dangerous and scary as I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Aug 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc/trac activation and system warning lights came on while the system intermittently activated, locking up/letting go of the right rear tire while on dry level pavement and driving forward. I took it to a shop, which found a problem in a steering sensor, "the computer" and possibly a wheel sensor. They suggested that the system be disabled until it could be troubleshoot in more detail. I had them disable it so that it could be driven without the danger of a wheel locking up on the highway. It is still disabled, with dash system warning lights on during operation.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jun 082009

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was driving down a paved road on a dry day and the vehicle swerved to the left accompanied by horrible grinding noises and beeping sounds and the vsc/trac lights on. It was very scary. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. It worked for a few miles and then it happened again the same swerving to the left w/ the grinding noises. The vehicle is unsafe to drive. I researched it on edmunds.com, carproblemzoo.com and the Toyota forums and it seems to be a common problem. When will Toyota fix this problem? I love the truck but it is unsafe to use.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I am having problem with my Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jul 012013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated as the vehicle became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the fluid was low. The contact did not know which fluid was low. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 118,000. Kmj

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 012012

Sequoia

2002 Toyota Sequoia. Consumer writes in regards to a safety concern involving the vsc/trac system the consumer stated the vsc/trac did not operate properly and caused the vehicle to be unstable. The consumer stated a recall was issued for the 2003 model and the 2002 model should have been included as well.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Oct 092012

Sequoia

The vsc trac and vsc off lights are on and won't go off.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jun 162009

Sequoia 8-cyl

The traction control, vsc light is illuminated intermittently over the past few years. I am scared that if I need to avoid a impeding accident that because the vsc system not working that I may not be able to successfully avoid a potentially fatal accident. I am also scared that the vehicle may rollover when doing a fast turn to avoid an accident. Based on my research, I have found that this is a common problem among these vehicles and that there was a 2003 recall for this problem. There are a lot of problems with the 2002 vehicles and it needs to get fixed. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on it's product and satisfy all owners/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 012012

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota sequioa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the ABS and the bsc lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The steering wheel became difficult to steer and the brakes inadvertently engaged. After restarting the vehicle, the warning lights did not illuminate and the contact was able to drive the vehicle without failure. The failure occurred intermittently six different times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the yaw sensor and stroke sensor would have to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (traction control system) that may be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the recall did not included 2002 vehicles. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jun 062009

Sequoia

Same problem like everyone else I've read about. The traction control, vsc, brake light, and ABS light on. Dealership says no recall but they recalled all 2003 models for the same issue. Vehicle lights are off when vehicle is started, after 2-3 miles all the lights come on then the car is hard to handle due to traction control making the car unstable. This has been occurring for quite a while now. The vsc/trac light on my 2002 Toyota Sequoia comes on after driving for a few minutes. When this occurs it feels like the vehicle looses power and goes into "anti lock" mode. It's a scary feeling when driving at highway speeds. Once the vsc warning lights come on the vehicle drives normally, will do it again and again. The dealership said that it cost $800 dollars to repair. I can't afford to have the repair made and feel I should not have to. If the 2003 model has been recalled for the same problem and so many other 2002 Sequoia owners have reported the same problem, why shouldn't our trucks also qualify for recall and dealer repair at no cost to us. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on it's product and satisfy all ownere/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Nov 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving at 60 mph the vsc lights came on and the vehicle went to the right by itself.I slow down, and then the skid traction lights came on and a loud noise was coming out of the front....I think that if I was driving faster I could of have an accident...the same thing happened yesterday...

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 222011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Same problem like everyone else, traction control, vsc, brake light, and ABS light on. Dealership says no recall but they recalled all 2003 models for the same issue. ABS computer module. Part# 89541-0C050. Vehicle lights are off when vehicle is started, after 2-3 miles all the lights come on then the car is hard to handle due to traction control making the car unstabable. Also with ABS light on, braking is very bad. Constant fight to keep the vehicle straight during braking.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jun 272010

Sequoia 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc/ traction control system started to malfunction in June 2011 vehicle has 128,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and they said that it needs a new yaw rate sensor @800.00dollars. Also that there is a chance that this doesn't fix the problem the SUV may need an ECU at a cost of an additional $900. That's crazy!!!! this has happened at all different range of speeds. Happening more often lately and seems very dangerous when activates and makes the vehicle unstable.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Jul 252011

Sequoia 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Sequoia brake slippery and shake the vehicle, then both vsc and trac off warning lights are on.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jul 032011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway and out of no where I started skidding and my steering wheel started shaking. There was nothing on the road, the weather was hot and dry, and I wasn't switching lanes. Simultaneously the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights came on. My first instinct was to apply the brake, and upon doing so the ABS kicked in. I pulled off the highway to let the car rest and so that I could check everything out. Everything appeared fine, so I continued on my journey. The lights stayed on for the remainder of the 50 mile trip, but no further incident occurred. When I started the car the next morning, the lights were off. I took the car to the dealership and they told me I had an ECU skid control failure. Upon further investigation I found that this had happened at least four times prior with this vehicle, starting when the car was only two years old and had approximately 35,000 miles. All four times the car had been taken to the dealership for inspection.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jul 062011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicles vsc system engages when driving down the road in dry conditions leading to a momentary loss of control of the vehicle. The brakes grab and cause your vehicle to swerve to the left side. This happens out of the blue with no warning.

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Jan 212011

Sequoia 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc traction control. Anti-lock braking system engages suddenly with power loss and front end vibration. Vehicle stability control and traction control lights illuminate on dash. ABS and vsc lights remain on (ABS and stability control therefore disengaged) and cannot be turned back on by operator. When vehicle is turned off, system appears to reset, but the problem repeats after restarting and driving several miles. Problem is occurring more frequently and appears there are many other folks having this problem.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Jun 102011

Sequoia

Anti-lock braking system engages suddenly with power loss and front end vibration. Vehicle stability control and traction control lights illuminate on dash. ABS and vsc lights remain on (ABS and stability control therefore disengaged) and cannot be turned back on by operator. When vehicle is turned off, system appears to reset, but the problem repeats after restarting and driving several miles. Problem occurred twice today, on two separate drive events within a 2 hour period.

- Port Orange, FL, USA