2002 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

2002 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Oct 252012

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving at 50 mph on a flat concrete paved road in dry conditions, the slippery wet lamp lit and the alarm sounded for approximately 10 seconds while the ABS brakes engaged on. The lamp flashed until the brakes released and the vsc trac and trac off lamps illuminated and remained on after restarting the vehicle. This occurrence happened immediately after receiving the vehicle from the Toyota service department in which the skid control ECU was replaced for $770.79. This is a repeated occurrence of the problems. I delivered the vehicle back to Toyota to have it repaired. The technician informed me that the brake booster assembly would need to be replaced to resolve the problem. The maintenance cost $1,606.24 and they kept if for 5 days.

Oct 102012

Sequoia 8-cyl

During my evening commute while driving on I-20 West at 75 mph, the steering wheel tugged and the front brake engaged. Immediately afterwards, the slippery wet lamp flashed and an alarm buzzer sounded for about 10 seconds. Afterwards, the vsc trac and traf off lights illuminated and remained on. I drove to an orientation and while on the way home at 45 mph, all of the previously stated alarms and malfunctions occurred again and the brakes engaged with a loud noise. I stop for gas at my usual 1/4 tank level and while pulling away from the fuel station, all alarms and all malfunctions recurred for the third time within a 24 hour period. The ABS engaged while driving at 10 mph. I called the Toyota service department and coordinated to leave my vehicle in the night deposit box for maintenance the next morning. Toyota kept the vehicle for two days and replaced the skid control ECU anticipating that the problem would be resolved. Previously, I had the brake fluid flushed and replaced on 08/17/2012 as routine maintenance at 262,223 miles. The problem recurred within days.

Oct 112010

Sequoia 8-cyl

This is a repeat occurrence of a problem with the vsc trac and trac off systems. Repeatedly, the lights will come on and remains on until the vehicle is restarted. Again, when I took it the Toyota service department, I was informed that they were unable to replicate the codes. No resolution.

Jun 252010

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving through parking lot and applying brakes, the vsc trac and trac off lights came on and remained on while the vehicle was on. After restarting the vehicle, the lights would not replicate. When taken to the dealer, the technician informed me to bring it in when the lights were on because they were unable to pull the codes.

Oct 112012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was a stop light with the brakes firmly pressed down when the vehicle lurched forward. It felt as if someone had rear-ended me, however, there was no one behind me. Now the vsc lights are lit up on the dashboard display and it is lurching and power surging at random.

- Ashland City, TN, USA

Oct 092012

Sequoia

The vsc trac and vsc off lights are on and won't go off.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 022012

Sequoia 8-cyl

It seems electronic control system thinks vehicle is out of control when it is not. Vsc activates in random conditions at random times at speeds between 30-65 mph. Vehicle experiences lose of power, pulling to one side and inadequate braking. Vehicle becomes unsafe to drive and is dangerous! a recall on the vsc system & components for this vehicle is in order.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 122011

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 80 mph, the vsc traction light illuminated on the instrument panel and the wheel jerked to the left. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop for inspection where they stated that the yaw rate sensor needed to be replaced. The contact notified the manufacturer who stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 10V176000 (traction control system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 082012

Sequoia

When driving at highway speed, in dry conditions, the vehicle skid control (vsc) and traction control system (trac) warning lights suddenly began flashing and beeping. The steering wheel began difficult to control and a loud grinding noise came from the brake pedal as the ABS system was activated. This made for a very dangerous situation as the vehicle was very difficult to control in heavy traffic! after about five seconds, the grinding/ABS activation and warning beeps stopped, but the warning lights stayed illuminated. When taking the next highway offramp and applying the brakes, the warning lights and grinding started again and this time it almost caused an accident when the braking was overridden by the ABS! only after turning the car off and restarting did the warning lights turn off. The 2003 Sequoia was recalled for this same problem. The 2002 Sequoia should also be recalled. Does there have to be accidents and fatalities before this will happen?? Toyota needs to take responsibility for this dangerous defect.

- Clovis, CA, USA

May 132012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was driving on the interstate in the left hand lane. Tried to merge into the right hand lane and noticed a car in my blind spot so I went back into the left lane. However, my vsc/ABS lights went on, the car beeped, made a heavy grinding noise, and then, with much force, veered hard to the right. I tried to steer it back to the left hand lane, the other drivers saw me wrestling with my steering wheel and the car started to fishtail so fortunately they stayed well behind me. The car became impossible to control and steer and braking did not help. Despite my best efforts to control the car, apply the brakes, steer out of the skidding and fishtailing, my car then went over into the right lane, over to the shoulder, and then the wheel sunk into the grass next to the shoulder where the vehicle rolled over several times. My son and I were airlifted to the trauma unit. I suffered 2 broken vertebrae in the C area of my neck and a compressed disc in the T region of my spine, concussion, cuts, bruises, glass embedded near my eye, as well as a splenic aneurysm. My son had a concussion, wound on the head that required stitches, cuts, bruises and a sprained ankle. My son and I were both unconscious at the accident scene.my two daughters had minor cuts, sprains, and bruises. We were fortunate to have come out of this alive and not to have hit anyone else. I am still in a neck brace and undergoing medical treatment. Toyota needs to recall this model as soon as possible. We could have all been killed. Unfortunately, my car was totaled and there was no black box in this model. I will never buy a car from Toyota again. However, for the safety of others, I do hope they recall this model as I would hate for others to suffer what we had to suffer, or worse. Updated 10/19/12 updated 10/23/2012

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jun 162009

Sequoia 8-cyl

The traction control, vsc light is illuminated intermittently over the past few years. I am scared that if I need to avoid a impeding accident that because the vsc system not working that I may not be able to successfully avoid a potentially fatal accident. I am also scared that the vehicle may rollover when doing a fast turn to avoid an accident. Based on my research, I have found that this is a common problem among these vehicles and that there was a 2003 recall for this problem. There are a lot of problems with the 2002 vehicles and it needs to get fixed. Must we first have an accident to win rights to be accommodated. Does Toyota not want to make good on it's product and satisfy all owners/customers. I worry every time I drive my vehicle and thank god each time I reach my destination without incident.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 312012

Sequoia

Driving on dry road and vsc engages. Can not use brakes. Continues to do this for a few minutes then stop, then engage again. Happened in Oct. 2011 had a steering sensor replaced advised by Toyota and it is doing it again. This is very unsafe because I had no control of vehicle while this is engaged. I was going maybe 10 mph when it happened. No warning just engages.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Apr 182012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Was accelerating onto the freeway today and it felt as if the left brakes came on along with a screeching sound and it made me swerve left. I was able to avoid swerving into merging traffic but I nearly crashed. Over the last week the vsc off lights have started going on and off and after reviewing some literature on line it seems that hundreds of others have had the same type of problem. The 2003 Sequoia was actually recalled for this same thing. Very dangerous and now I will have to contact the dealer to see about it getting fixed before someone is killed. I have two young children and this really pisses me off. Even if there is not a recall I should have been made aware of the danger I was putting myself in. I have been happy with my truck for 8 years but after this incident and seeing what others have gone through I will never buy another Toyota!!!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

May 112012

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving during normal dry conditions, vsc alarm started to go off followed by loss of control of brakes. Was able to pull over without incident and at about 10 mph the alarm shutoff and the amber trac off light and vsc trac light annunciated and all driving conditions were normal again. I'm guessing at this point the system was disabled in the trac off mode. I'm in the process of bringing the car to the dealer for a diagnostic however I've read numerous items online of people having this problem and Toyota doesn't seem to help (recall). It is quite expensive also.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Jan 032011

Sequoia

We have been experiencing an issue w/ the vehicle skid control light keeps going on and off. At one point, we lost power to car, while trying to accelerate. Toyota dealership is unsure what the issue is. This has been going on for over a year. I found a recall related to vsc for 2003 Sequoias but Toyota says our Sequoia is not included in this recall even though the symptoms are very identical!! instead the local dealership wants to try to replace some computer chip (that would cost us thousands of dollars) but they are not guaranteeing that this is even the cause or will resolve the issue!!! they are saying it can be this computer or it can be that computer.. and replacing each is worth a few 1000S but they don't know which is causing the vsc light to go on and off!!

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was accelerating onto the freeway today and it felt as if the left brakes came on along with a screeching sound and it made me swerve left. I was able to avoid swerving into merging traffic but I nearly crashed. Over the last week the vsc off lights have started going on and off and and after reviewing some literature on line it seems that hundreds of others have had the same type of problem. The 2003 Sequoia was actually recalled for this same thing. Very dangerous and now I will have to contact the dealer to see about it getting fixed before someone is killed. I have two young children and this really pisses me off. Even if there is not a recall I should have been made aware of the danger I was putting myself in. I have been happy with my truck for 8 years but after this incident and seeing what others have gone through I will never buy another Toyota!!!

- Portland , OR, USA

Nov 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving at 60 mph the vsc lights came on and the vehicle went to the right by itself.I slow down, and then the skid traction lights came on and a loud noise was coming out of the front....I think that if I was driving faster I could of have an accident...the same thing happened yesterday...

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Sequoia 8-cyl

To start, I want to stress that I do not understand why there is no recall for this problem. The vsc trac, ABS, skid control and brake lights all came on and stayed on as of the above date. Prior to that date, the vsc trac and skid lights would come on for no reason, but would go off upon turning off and restarting the car. When the lights came on and stayed on, I read the owner's manual and based on that information, was worried the brakes would not work, so I called the dealer. When I spoke to someone in the dealer's repair shop about the problem before I brought the car in, he said that the warning lights meant that my ABS system was gone and it would cost $2,000 to fix. He said that it was not covered by warranty or a recall. So, I took it to the nearest auto repair shop to my home, that I had used previously. They checked the warning lights with the computer diagnostic and could not find anything wrong. Then, I took it to the dealer, and they checked the warning lights and said that the problem was low voltage with the battery. I had recently bought a new battery, so I took the car back to the first place, which checked the battery and said it was fine. So I received conflicting messages from the dealer. However, since other owners with my year/model Toyota have had safety problems with the same issue and Toyota has the same problem with the 2003 model and they have issued a recall, I believe it is a safety issue. I can't understand why no recall has been issued for the 2002 year. Please look at all of the complaints about this exact issue from so many consumers (and I'm sure plenty of others who did not take the time to report it) and act before someone is seriously injured or killed!!!!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 052011

Sequoia

My 2002 Toyota Sequoia has a defective sensor for the vsc, brake system. I see where the 2003 Sequoia is covered, but not the 2002's. please tell me why this is the case, when the same problem is occurring.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 092011

Sequoia

Vsc light, trac off light and check engine light all came on at the same time. I took vehicle to autozone and they checked the computer with the result error 5 cylinder misfire, for the check engine light, the other 2 warning lights they could not give me any advice on.

- Columbus, OH, USA