2003 Toyota Sequoia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Oct 012016

Sequoia Limited 4.7L V8

I was aware of a frame issue that Toyota had with there older Tundras (Generation 1) and that it affected Sequoias but not to the same degree. I checked under this vehicle before purchase and the frame had some surface rust but looked to be in fairly good condition. The exhaust was in need of replacing so I had purchased a new exhaust system and upon removing the tail pipe - I found that the frame hidden behind the resonator had holes rusted through it.

I called Toyota and they opened a case for me only to tell me that my vehicle had already been serviced in their limited service campaign for they frame - where they coated it with rust inhibitor. Toyota has offered no assistance with this expensive piece of scrap. I suspect they didn't remove the exhaust when they did this which was why the frame behind the tail pipe resonator was in such bad shape. Also it appears that the coating has only slightly extended the life of the frame as it seems to be rusting from within. After reading many similar stories and Toyota continuing to extend their service campaign for newer trucks (now including 2005-2009 Tacomas) I think I'll stick with the old domestic vehicles that have frames that survive the salt for decades without failure.

- , Battle Creek, MI, USA

Nov 012003

Sequoia Limited V8

In 2013, Toyota had a recall to spray chemical to retard rust and corrosion. However , it has done nothing to slow the rust and corrosion. I call Toyota to at least have the vehicle inspected to see whether it is safe to drive the car; Toyota refused. I talked to Eric Alaman and his supervisor , Tonia Gunn who were not helpful. I'll never buy Toyota or Lexus again.

- , Springfield, VA, USA