1.6

2003 Toyota Sequoia body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 132016

Sequoia

To whom it may concern, we are the original owners of a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The vehicle has developed considerable frame rust damage over the years rusting through and creating a dangerous situation and has been deemed unsafe to drive by the Toyota dealer and other mechanics who have worked on the vehicle. Recently, I took it to penn Toyota, 2400 northern blvd, greenvale, NY 11548 for an oil change and the service manager there refused to put the vehicle on a regular lift because of fear of the frame collapsing (see attached service receipt). This is a family vehicle we use with our 3 kids and we are extremely concerned for the safety of our family when driving it. The corrosion is so bad that areas of the frame have crumbled off and there are significan holes and cracks along the driver side of the frame including frame brackets and support sections. We have reached out to Toyota and they tell us there was no recall for this specific vehicle. However, there have been other frame recalls for similar models (see attached copy of warranty enhancement letter csd limited service campaign (lsc) csd certain 2001 through 2004 model year Sequoia vehicles frame inspection). We need to resolve this issue as soon as possible and are looking to Toyota for some assistance with this most important matter. We have been loyal Toyota customers and have enjoyed our Sequoia experience over the years and look forward to staying loyal customers and able to drive our car for many more years to come provided this issue is resolved to our satisfaction. Please see attached photos of the rusted frame. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Warm regards

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Aug 132016

Sequoia

To whom it may concern, we are the original owners of a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The vehicle has developed considerable frame rust damage over the years rusting through and creating a dangerous situation and has been deemed unsafe to drive by the Toyota dealer and other mechanics who have worked on the vehicle. Recently, I took it to penn Toyota, 2400 northern blvd, greenvale, NY 11548 for an oil change and the service manager there refused to put the vehicle on a regular lift because of fear of the frame collapsing (see attached service receipt). This is a family vehicle used with our 3 kids and we are extremely concerned for the safety of our family when driving it. The corrosion is so bad that areas of the frame have crumbled off and there are significan holes and cracks along the driver side of the frame including frame brackets and support sections. We have reached out to Toyota and they tell us there was no recall for this specific vehicle. However, there have been other frame recalls for similar models (see attached copy of warranty enhancement letter csd limited service campaign (lsc) csd certain 2001 through 2004 model year Sequoia vehicles frame inspection). We need to resolve this issue as soon as possible and are looking to Toyota for some assistance with this most important matter. We have been loyal Toyota customers and have enjoyed our Sequoia experience over the years and look forward to staying loyal customers and able to drive our car for many more years to come provided this issue is resolved to our satisfaction. Please see attached photos of the rusted frame showing the damage. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Warm regards

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Jul 312014

Sequoia

I received a recall notice from Toyota for my '03 Sequoia limited and took it to kolosso Toyota (appleton, wi) for frame inspection and application of a material that prevents corrosion, due to a recall, in 2014. I called kolosso to schedule my truck to be seen well before the due date of 7-31-14, in June 2014. Kolosso said it had to order the special "kit" to apply material to my frame and scheduled my inspection and application for early August 2014, after 7-31-14 (due date). They said the kit wouldn't arrive until August and there was nothing anyone could do. Everything would be fine because the kit wouldn't even be available until August 2014. I received a frantic call from kolosso on 7-13-14 while I was working literally 2 hours away in milwaukee, wi that my truck had to be inspected in appleton that day in order for the recall to be valid. Kolosso said it was their fault for scheduling me in August 2014 but Toyota suddenly deemed 7-31-14 the absolute deadline for the recall. So I had to leave work unexpectedly to drive 2 hours away for inspection. An extreme inconvenience! the dealership did not compensate me in any way for my upset. They placed all blame squarely on Toyota. I said, as a customer, I had done everything the dealership said and I had done nothing wrong. This argument was between kolosso and Toyota but I was penalized. As of this date, 2 years later, kolosso has still not applied the special coating to my frame to prevent corrosion. I have never received a call from them to schedule this.I feel this is illegal. I complied fully with the recall by the deadline. I have received no indemnification in any capacity. And since that time, I've gotten recall notices for other things but if kolosso won't help me, what am I supposed to do? they're a Toyota dealership. I am a completely disgusted Toyota victim with a body frame that is likely corroded.

- Appleton, WI, USA

Apr 292016

Sequoia

I purchase this 2003 Toyota Sequoia in 2003 brand new and at the moment the frame is rusting at an alarming rate. I would like to know if the manufacturer (Toyota) is making any plans to rectifying this problem?

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jan 052015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the undercarriage was corroded. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician verified the failure and sprayed with lubricated substance. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Whitman, MA, USA

Sep 012014

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, a loud banging noise emitted from the front end of vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician stated that the front passenger chassis was rusted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 032013

Sequoia

Received Toyota factory recall for corrosion-resistant compound due to excessive frame rust. Called local dealer and also factory Toyota for appointment. Took the vehicle in to the dealership. One day later received phone call that my vehicle was safe and that they had sprayed this coating on the vehicle. I picked up vehicle and this corrosive chemical is dripping of the vehicle and is not drying. Concerned for environment and also, I have no idea of how vehicle was inspected assuring that the frame is safe.

- Nisswa, MN, USA

Dec 112013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the rear door latch opened independently. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis or repair. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Florence, KY, USA

Jul 092013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the brakes failed to respond as the vsc and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was advised that the entire underbody carriage was rusted, resulting in diminished braking capability. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Setauket, NY, USA

Dec 252013

Sequoia 8-cyl

When you grab the rear handle to open the rear hatch, the handle assembly becomes disengaged from the assembly inside the door. This is the second time this has happened. When you google the following, "Sequoia rear latch" or "Sequoia rear latch cable" or "Sequoia rear larch problems" or "Sequoia rear hatch problems" you will get hundreds of hits. This appears to be an ongoing problem. Sequoia inside door handles also repeatedly break. Every time there's a break with the rear latch, it's a $500 fix.

- Wyomissing, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Sequoia

The rear window motor and window tracks have rusted completely. The motor has failed and the window tracks are completly rusted away. The window is not unoperable. There is a short in the O2 sensor wiring underneath the vehicle. There is currently a recall on the above vehicle regarding frame rust. I believe that the above complaints are directly related to the rust issues that this vehicle has.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jul 212012

Sequoia 8-cyl

I took the Sequoia to a mechanic to repair a clunking noise in the front and squeaking noise in the back. Upon examination, the mechanic noticed unusually advanced rust and corrosion for a vehicle of its age. For safety reasons, the mechanic warned against driving the vehicle until repairs were made. Mechanic had to cut out front passenger control arm bolts, rear shock mounts, and other hardware due to the corrosion. Mechanic noted that future repairs will require the same cutting and replacement of new hardware. This corrosion issue may be related to the 2000-2003 Toyota Tundra recall of 2009, since the Sequoia shares the chassis and manufacturing facility with the Tundra.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Jun 152012

Sequoia 8-cyl

We had intermittent off/on of interior lights while driving, but only during left turns. There was no (important) "door ajar" alert which normally would present as a red icon warning on the dash, there was no warning light. I worked as a mech. Engineer and tested all doors for "play", how tight the door closed. The right front passenger door was loose. I opened the door, checked if the seatbelt was shut-in with the door but all was normal. I wiggled the latch which is screwed in by 2 large star/allen screws. That was it, it was very loose, it took 5 turns to tighten each one. I checked the other doors, all were just fine. The door would have opened if this latch came all the way out, even belted in, a person could be injured.

- Eureka, CA, USA

Nov 252011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The frame on my vehicle cracked, and this caused the top of the strut to come up through the floorboard. The Toyota dealer, body shop, and independent insurance appraiser say that this was not caused by an accident or other impact. They said the frame had metal fatigue and simply failed. This poses a serious hazard if a lightly driven vehicle such as mine, well-cared for and driven in a Suburban setting, the frame would crack in 8 years. I saw online that there was a frame recall for 2001-2003 Tundra and Sequoias (which share the same frame). The recall was for only 18 states where there is heavy snow, causing the frames to rust through. Toyota was forced to replace the entire frame. I believe that the frames were faulty from a manufacturing defect for this to occur. I want to make sure that you have this information as it may be part of a more wide-spread problem that Toyota is not telling anyone about.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Feb 072012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Anti sway bar cannot be connected back to frame since the frame is rusted. I was told that in order to fix it, I would need my entire frame replaced and that none of this was covered under any warranty or recall. Estimated cost of repair is estimated to be at least $13,000. The vehicle is not safe to drive. Since the Sequoia has the same frame as a Tundra, why isn't the Sequoia frame rust problem also being recalled like the Tundra?

- Southborough, MA, USA

Jan 062012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The undercarriage on my Sequoia has much rust. It is an '03 that has been garage kept since new. My husband has an '03 Acura with absolutely no rust... yet has faced the exact same conditions. I saw the recall for Tundra undercarriage rust and wondered why the Sequoia (which is basically the same frame) wasn't included. I've read about many Sequoia's that won't pass inspection due to undercarriage rust.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 132011

Sequoia

Brought vehicle in for service/schedule maintenance which was not completed; was advised by service technician that there was a hole rotted in the frame behind the driver side front wheel. Was advised to call customer experience center & open a case number with them. Was advised similar problem with the Tundra & Tacoma models.

- Andover, NJ, USA

Oct 042011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Frame has rusted through.

- Victor, NY, USA

Aug 292011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Took 2003 Sequoia to baierl dealership on August 26, 2011 in cranberry, pa for 130,000 mile check up. Mechanic noticed "hole' in frame behind front right wheel. Upon further inspection with another mechanic there are several areas where frame is rusted through behind front wheels. Toyota says this issue is not covered under warranty. Upon investigation on this site and others, it seems that model years 2000-2003 Tacoma's, Tundra's and Sequoia's all have this issue. Toyota has extended the warranty to address this issue on Tacoma's and Tundra's, but not Sequoia's for some reason. The vehicle will not pass inspection now and Toyota themselves have said I would have to take it to a body shop where it could possibly be repaired, but no guarantees. I am looking for a resolution to this issue.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jun 252011

Sequoia

When I came to pick up my vehicle from my personal mechanic (June 2011) after he had replaced the brake pads and rotors, he warned me about serious undercarriage rust. Despite my vehicle only having 64000 miles on it at the time he indirectly suggested selling the vehicle in the next year or two as this premature rusting will be a very serious problem that I won't want to deal with. I wonder why the Tundra had a recall on the frame and not the Sequoia" is this vehicle safe"

- Bismarck , ND, USA