2003 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Apr 082010

Sequoia

Vsc trac and vsc and brake lights come on and sometimes can be reset by turning the car off and then on. Loss of power when this happens sometimes. Lately this has been happening on a regular basis.

- Oakton, VA, USA

Feb 272010

Sequoia

The vsc track and engine lights came on at the same time at exactly 108,000 miles. This has been a very reliable vehicle except when it seems the computer parts are programmed to fail. I use to commute in heavy slow traffic in southern California when my brake light would come on when using the brakes in traffic. The dealer could not find a problem.. the brake light will go off after the key is turned off and back on again however the vsc/track light still on appear T be a computer defect. I see many problems with this could lead to vehicle tipping big problem maybe this issue is related to Toyota vehicles super accelerating just a thought!

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Feb 132005

Sequoia

We own a toyata Sequoia ltd 2003 model year. We took the vehicle several times to the dealer regarding braking issue. If we ever used the emergency brake, for some reason the right side front and rear brakes will start to lock up, that would shake the SUV and we had to pull over. The dealer never determined what the problem was even though we ended up paying for repairs that never made a difference. Eventually we stopped using the emergency brake on our vehicle, that also stopped the right side wheels from locking up. During this period the car parked in our driveway also crashed into our garage and broke the garage doors. With emergency brakes on and in park, middle of the night we there was a loud bang, the SUV had crashed into the garage; even though the SUV was in park position gear and with emergency brakes on.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Nov 142009

Sequoia

2003 Toyota Sequoia vsc/trac computer problems causing unnecessary braking. Also breaking of rear door latch and inability to open rear door.

- Poway, CA, USA

May 152009

Sequoia

My 2003 Toyota Sequoia has an issue with the vehicle stability control (traction control system). The vsc computer continues to break leaving the car with no traction control. On snowy and icy roads the car will spin out of control due to the size of the vehicle and no assistance from the vsc to slow the car down. I have to keep the car in 4WD all the time to keep it from sliding on snowy or wet streets. This is a known problem with the Toyota Sequoia and Toyota refuses to take responsibility for the issue. There are pages upon pages of complaints all over the internet describing the same issue. Toyota refuses to warranty the problem or conduct a recall. The part itself is approximately $1600. I have already had the vsc computer replaced once on the vehicle and now the new computer is broken again. It was first replaced on 1/24/07 when the vehicle had 25,253 miles on it. It broke again on 5/19/09 with 38,995 miles on it. The vehicle now has 43,000 miles on it and the vsc is still inoperable. I don't trust driving the car with my wife or child. But unfortunately I have to spend $2K to fix a vehicle just to trade it in. I have filed a complaint with Toyota North America. They refuse to acknowledge there is a problem and have told me I have to accept responsibility for the vehicle no longer being on warranty. Even though it only has 43,000 miles and they vsc has broken twice. I have grown increasing concerned about safety especially since I live in the midwest. Nothing has been done to resolve the problem. That is my issue.

- Park Ridge, IL, USA

Jan 172010

Sequoia

ABS and vsc off lights came on disabling the ABS system.

- St. George, 00, USA

Feb 102010

Sequoia

Vsc and trac warning lights turn on almost immediately when driving. Skid control lights flash, indicating computer-controlled braking while pulling out of driveway at slow speed on normal, dry pavement.

- Newberg, OR, USA

Nov 222009

Sequoia

Vehicle was purchased from Toyota ON11/21/2009. The next day the brake light came on. It stayed on every time I started the vehicle for 2 days then it went out. Then it would intermittenly come on and reset when I shut the vehicle off. Took it back to Toyota and they found fault code C1310. They said I needed a new brake power booster inside of the master cylinder. After a week of arguing with them they changed it. When I picked up the vehicle the brake light came on again. I called them back and they checked again and said code C1310 had triggered but this time it was the skid control computer and it was not covered and they were not going to fix it for me. I checked the owners forums for Sequoia's and this apparently is a well known issue that Toyota ignores. The dealer has told me as long as the light is on I will not have ABS and my anti-skid control will not function.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 012010

Sequoia

2003 Toyota Sequoia limited. Purchased new from dealer. Intermittent problems over the years with "vsc trac", "trac off" and "ABS" lights going on (usually if tires were on slippery surface). Lights usually went off on their own without incident. Two years ago dealer under warranty replaced ECU computer and translate computer when car died after these lights went on. Now lights are on again and not going off. Warranty has expired. Dealer charged me $160 to do a diagnostic which led them to tell me it'll cost $2,300 to do what amounts to "exploratory surgery", and by the way, my airbags are disabled and they can't reset them without me paying said $2,300 and possibly much more as they use a trial and error approach to "fixing" whatever problem there is (car seems to be driving ok at the moment with the warning lights on.) a quick search of the internet showed dozens and dozens of people with the exact same problem, some with very serious safety problems (that I have not had yet). Very disconcerting, especially since I also own a 2009 Toyota Camry! dealership very opaque about the problem - they don't seem to have a clue what the problem really is at root. From my basic research, it seems irrefutable that this problem is a serious design problem in 2003 Toyota Sequoias that has been known to Toyota for many years. First, are you aware of this situation, and second, is there anything I can do except pay to supposedly "fix" the car? here is just one sample of a google search for "Toyota Sequoia skid control computer" where you can see comments that go back to January 2004: www.automotivehelper.com/topic181494.htm.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 032010

Sequoia

Skid control system is faulty. It was engaged on a hot day while I was driving on a straight freeway. The car slowed down and I had to pull over. I almost got into an accident. The lights are now on and won't turn off.

- Vista, CA, USA

Dec 012009

Sequoia

For the past 6months the emergency brake light has come on and shut off randomly for extended periods of time. The dealership has no answer for why, but they said that there is nothing wrong. Now the vsc trac and vsc off lights will not turn off. The dealer says that there is no danger again but that it will cost 1600 to fix. If I do nothing then it will be fine too. None of it makes complete sense.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Nov 162008

Sequoia 4WD

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The brake and vehicle skid control warning lights illuminated on the instrument control panel, and then the vehicle began to skid. The dealer repaired the vehicle; however, one year later the failure resurfaced. An authorized technician replaced the entire computer system at an expense of $2500. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Update 12/14/09 updated 12/16/09

- Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Oct 082009

Sequoia

The vsc trac and asb light have come on my 2003 Toyota Sequoia limited 4X4. The dealer wants $2000 to replace the computer.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Aug 262009

Sequoia

2003 Toyota Sequoia - has skid/traction control sensor failure (vsc trac) which effects the ABS - there's none now. We went through this November 2008 and paid extensively for the repair are reliving it again now. Toyota says this is common and will cost us $2K to fix. I am finding this problem with this model/year all over the internet. This is a Toyota problem and needs a recall - not a consumer only problem. Please help! we are afraid to drive our car on our trip to relatives at christmas. $2K eats up xmas budget! Toyota admits it's common - they need to recall the vehicles and fix this problem before someone gets killed! many reporting loss of control while driving and inability to brake.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 292009

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. While driving approximately 25 mph the electronic stability control system and the traction control system warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurs intermittently and without warnings. No repairs have been made. The failure and current mileage mileages were 84,000. Updated 12/9/09 updated 12/10/09.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 282009

Sequoia

I've owned a 2003 Toyota Sequoia since it was new, and have had several problems with the anti-lock brakes and stability control. The systems have failed repeated for the past three years, the warning lights are continuously on, and on two occasions the vehicle's anti-lock brakes have gone off while driving slowly ( and not braking ). the dealership where I purchased the vehicle says I need a new $2,000 computer for the brake control. The vehicle is faulty and unsafe, and Toyota needs to step up to the plate and fix this dangerous flaw in their anti-lock brake system.

- Naples, FL, USA

Sep 142009

Sequoia

Sept 09 - vcs & trac lights would come on randomly for last 6 months. Finally yesterday they failed completely. Lights came on, brakes starting vibrating, throttle control was impaired. Dealer recommended replacing vs computer. This is the second time vs system has had a problem. In 07 the dealer replaced the yaw sensor ass. When this happened vcs and trac lights came on, loss of braking and accelerating control. Fortunately when they failed speed was low there fore it was easy to come to a stop. I have requested old part returned to me.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Sep 012009

Sequoia

Toyota Sequoia 2003 vsc lights on and off for entire duration of owning the vehicle...was "fixed" at authorized Toyota dealer early on in ownership and since will randomly go on and off. Most recently will be off with start of vehicle and with acceleration or turning will set of ABS light and beep, loose power and then the vsc lights will be on, when you let off of the accelerator. Some dealerships said to ignore the problem, don't feel safe when the most recent events cause the loss of power. I don't want to be going into traffic when this happens!

- Hartford, WI, USA

Aug 282009

Sequoia

For the past year intermittently brake light on dash came on, if I turned off vehicle, restarted then the light stays off until the next time. Now with 80,000 miles on 2003 Sequoia vsc off, vsc trac & check engine lights came on going about 30 mpg. Took vehicle in for service found out there is a 'service bulletin' dating back to 2003 that Toyota is aware of computer failure concerning this issue. After researching on this website I've found over 200 complaints concerning this exact issue that has not been addressed by Toyota or any regulatory government Agency issuing a recall since this is a known issue that can cause loss of control of the vehicle. Why"? what is the wait? does a tragedy need to occur? how many more complaints need to be logged" I'm waiting for an appointment with the Toyota dealership to see if any 'good will' action will be taken since the reports I've read have indicated the repair/fix cost is between $1,600-$2,200 for the consumer which obviously should be covered by Toyota especially since this has been a known issue since 2003.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 252009

Sequoia

2003 Toyota Sequoia, the vehicle stability control suddenly quit working when in motion and tried to apply brakes and shuttered. It's in the shop now and they say it's an ABS skid control ECU that went out. Seems to be a common problem for this year model and a recall should be done.

- O'fallon, MO, USA