2003 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Aug 232009

Sequoia

Uncontrolled stopping of vehicle with out braking; driving on city roads car braked on its own to the point the car halted, and I had to quickly pull to the side of the road or be hit by cars behind me; happened 3 times within a 3 mile stretch while driving kids home from school.; skid control ECU was replaced, also faulty deceleration sensor, faulty steering angle sensor, old parts held by installer.

- Monument, CO, USA

Aug 132009

Sequoia

While under warranty, my 2003 Sequoia's electronic stability control system activated when accelerating around corners. The dealer replaced the vsc computer. Yesterday, August 13, while on vacation, the vsc, trac off, and ABS lights came on. The dealer stated that the vsc computer was not functional and would again have to be replaced. The cost is between 1500-2100 dollars. The dealer (West ashley Toyota, charleston, SC) stated if I did not replace it, it could activate and cause me to lose control. I asked if there was a fail safe and he did not know. I have not yet replaced the computer.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 142003

Sequoia

Vsc/traction control lights on. After turning the engine on, the vsc/traction control lights are off. After a few yards of driving, the lights turn on.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Jul 082009

Sequoia

My ABS, vehicle skid control and trac control system has failed. Trouble codes indicate system failure and will require new ABS, trac and anti skid ECU. I have not had the repair done yet. I am concerned about the safety without these features. I am aware that there are several people having this same issue.

- Springville, UT, USA

Jul 262009

Sequoia

Stability control problems with an 2003 Toyota Sequoia. For several years the trac off, vsc trac and ABS lights have come off and on and are now on permanently rendering the stability control system useless.

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Jun 052009

Sequoia

Toyota Sequoia vsc trac lights on. Vehicle shudders when starting from a stop initially. Worried this could be a potential safety risk. Tundrasolutions.com has many other owners of 2003 Sequoia complaints about exact problem.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Jun 152009

Sequoia

I own a 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 with 95000 miles. Vsc, trac, and ABS lights came on. Dealership said that the codes are faulty ECU. Cost of repair was $1700. The following week lights came back on. This time they tell me it is a faulty speed sensor on the front right. They recalibrated the vehicle and said if it comes back the cost of the repair is $400. Following week, the lights come on, same code for the speed sensor, so I have it replaced. Two days later, the lights are back on. Not certain what will code this time. After reading several posts online, it looks like this is a recurring issue with this vehicle. So, I'm filing a complaint sense there hasn't been a recall.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 012009

Sequoia

In 2005 bought 2003 Toyota Sequoia with 20,000miles in 2007 check engine light came on the dealer codes were C1223, C1247, C1203 had to replace computer assy. Replace translate control unit and reset readiness codes. This computer controls traction and loss of power. In 7/09 the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights and ABS came on. I believe these are all safety issues that plague this Toyota model and recall is inorder. Are we going to wait for people to die before a recall is given?

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jun 242009

Sequoia

The "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights both illuminated a week ago and remain on. The car will periodically decelerate and swerve slightly when I initially begin acceleration. I cannot accelerate during this time. I hear a grinding noise and beeping. The skid control light (the car with the skidmarks) lights up at this time. This happens daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day. I am afraid to pull out in heavy traffic, not knowing if my car will go or not! my heart always stops when this happens! I went to the dealership that day and was told that the diagnostics indicated that my brake booster and steering angle sensor needed to be replaced. I was told that the brake booster problem was a known problem and confirmed that after further research online. I was also told that another computer system usually fails when this system fails, but my car had not indicated a failure of that computer yet...so I am expecting that in the near future. We ordered a brake booster, gaskets, and a steering angle sensor, which will be installed when the parts arrive.

- Forsyth, GA, USA

Jun 112009

Sequoia

One day while driving the warning lights for the vsc off and traction control went on, along with the check engine light. At this point we realized that our ABS may have failed and our family was in danger. The brakes now lock and there is a grinding and swaying of the car. We'll be taking it in to be checked, obviously, but are concerned with the imminent safety issues along with the large number of similar complaints by other 2003 Sequoia owners.

- Bolton Valley, VT, USA

May 242009

Sequoia

Driving home and all of the sudden the vsc/trac/ and ABS light go on. Toyota says it is not dangerous but the manual says to take it in asap. Spent ~$1000 to replace the control unit.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 132009

Sequoia

ABS skid control (ECU) and booster assembly malfunction. Dealer reports this as a safety concern that should not be happening and seems to be a pattern and concern yet Toyota refuses to address the issue.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 242009

Sequoia

I have had an issue with my 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The ABS and vsc trac lights came on. I have searched online to find out about this problem and have found it to be a habitual problem. On the morning of May 24 I had a collision with a deer. All four brakes locked up and I went into a skid and hit the deer. The things that I have read is its a electrical problem but it is not. Toyota has an issue here that puts its owners in an unsafe situation. This needs to be fixed. If there were habitual seat belt issues or airbag issues this would be taken care of. This is a major safety issue because I though I had working ABS brakes and due to some kind of design failure I did not.

- Afton, IA, USA

May 082009

Sequoia

Electronic stability control traction control system.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Apr 012009

Sequoia

Vehicle skid control computer is faulty and cause random braking or throttle reduction. Known problem by Toyota. Requires new computer with updated software that "fixes" a problem that Toyota claims doesn't exist. Over $2000.

- Garland, TX, USA

Jan 292003

Sequoia

Within a month of purchase in January 2003 the vsc & trac light were coming on upon vehicle start up sporadically for several weeks. On occasion the engine light would also come on. Sometimes I would have a foot on the gas & it felt like the brake was being applied. I brought the vehicle in several times, and they said their wasn't an issue. I left it overnight and the lights didn't come on at 2000 miles. This continued sporadically for a year usually during colder weather. In January 2004 at 16,870 miles the vcs/trac came on when near Toyota and finally was validated & replaced due to tsb BR002-03, part#89630-0C011. The issue still continues still in colder weather. In December 2005, at 48,000 the vcs/trac & engine light were on, and stayed on all day & Toyota replace the cat converter. Two weeks later I return with all three lights on & they replace the cat converter again. Now the issues are sporadic all year long. In August 2008 at 89,000 miles during service work they are able to pull codes with vsc/trac lights off. They replace ECM to correct steering angle & deceleration. The lights still came on last week again at start up and the vehicle slowed down pulling out of the driveway. Still looking for a resolution...

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jun 082003

Sequoia

My 2003 Toyota Sequoia ECU is out this was out at 53,000 miles and is going to cost 1300 for the part and 500 for labor! reading this is a huge ongoing complaint with the 2003 Sequoia's. should this be considered a recall dur to the hundred and hundreds of complaints strictly regarding the ECU skid control lights.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 212009

Sequoia

Vsc/trac/ABS lights have been a nagging problem with my 2003 Toyota Sequoia the entire time I have owned it. I have had the Sequoia to the dealer multiple times. The dealer has replaced both a sensor during one visit and the computer during another visit. Still, intermittently one or two times a month, the lights come on while driving even on straight dry clear roads. Pulling over and turning the engine off and re-starting the vehicle will sometimes turn the lights off but not always. I was told by the dealer that when my lights are on I do not have use of the vsc/trac or ABS systems. Unfortunately, when I take the vehicle to the dealer the lights have turned back off so there is no way to diagnose the problem. This in itself is a safety concern. You can bet that I will hold Toyota accountable if there is ever an accident when these lights are on. This has absolutely made me upset to the point that I will never purchase another Toyota ever again unless Toyota issues a recall and replaces all of the sensors and related computer components so that the lights go off and stay off. I do want to mention that when the car was just a few days old the battery failed on me. Upon taking it to the dealer I found out that internally some of the battery cells came loose from the connectors which did not give me enough voltage or amps to crank the engine over. This was replaced free of charge but I still wonder if this caused some sort of damage to the vsc/trac/ABS electrical system components.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Feb 082009

Sequoia

2003 Toyota Sequoia trac light date Sept-2006 issue with track vsc, and check engine light, senor changed, cost us $550, July 2007, ECU for skid control changed, we paid $1437 for this service Dec 2008, check engine light and vcs light on again, adjusted sensor $80, Jan 2009, check engine light, vcs, light again, at first, they quoted $2300 for repair claiming the computer need changing, after I complained about the charges, the called me back and continued to work on the issue, and later they said it was calibration. They decided not to charge us. Now, Feb 2009, lights on again, check engine light and vsc lights on again.

- New Iberia, LA, USA

Feb 042009

Sequoia

While driving along at city street speeds, during dry weather, on paved roads, my vsc trac and trac off lights come on. No other warning lights come on. Then a buzzer sounds for about 3 seconds. Then at the same time, a strange grinding sound comes from underneath the car, and the brakes seem to start working for no reason. I quickly pull over, turn off the car. I check the outside of the car and see no indication of running over anything. I then start the car and all the lights are back to normal (off). This happens about 2-3 times a month, for about a month or 2 now. I have not been able to determine any problems.

- Novato, CA, USA