2003 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 062014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle almost lost control during a 25mph turn in light rain condition. The vehicle has brand new tires as well. This is a known issue with many Toyota Sequoia vehicles and Toyota refuses to acknowledge fault. The failure to announce a recall on the vsc pressure sensor unit will cause the vehicle to lose control, skid, loss of ABS and subsequently lead to crash.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon normal driving the vehicle would not accelerate accurately and quickly enough after making a left turn. The vehicle would also randomly illuminate 3 indicator lights when the brake pedal is depressed. The 3 indicators are brake, trac off, vsc off. Before these lights illuminate the vehicle's brake pedal would become very hard to press causing the brake pedal to require much more force applied to it thus causing a decrease in stopping distance which is a very serious safety issue.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

Oct 192013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving, brake light illuminates - has been happening for past month. On 10/19/13, trying to stop at a light and when stepped on brakes, the ABS light, tcs light, and brake lights all illuminated and the brakes failed - started pulsating. Pavement was dry and did not step on brakes hard or fast - just slowing down for light. Had to pull over to side to avoid hitting car. Took to dealer said was ABS computer and not in recall. Extended warranty does not cover ABS computer. Service was not performed. Looking to replace computer cheaper. Dealer service check in lady said this is an issue with our year/make, yet there is no recall for failing brakes??

- Corona De Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 202013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my vsc trac lights came on along with my engine light. When I got home, I looked at my vehicle manual to determine what had happened. I attempted to remedy the problem as suggested by Toyota, unfortunately, nothing changed. Approximately 2 weeks later my brake light intermittently turned on & off. Less than 5 months earlier, I had my all of my brakes replaced, so I can't imagine that my brakes are faulty. I became alarmed by these electronic miscues - so I went online to explore whether this was a common thread with other Sequoia owners. I discovered very quickly that there are many people who have had problems with their vsc / engine / and brake lights becoming activated. I was hoping this problem might be covered under a recall, but it appears that it is not. I am hoping for a remedy that won't have extensive costs to me.

- Jackson, WI, USA

May 192012

Sequoia 8-cyl

When have the car on and running the traction light brake light and vsc light come on at the same time.

- Alhambra , CA, USA

May 162013

Toyota Sequoia 2003 - within months of taking new car delivery, vsc ABS and trac lights would blink intermittently and on occasion the auto would decelerate. As the issue was intermittent, dealership was unwilling/unable to diagnose. Trouble would continue with less frequent deceleration but more frequent warning light illumination until, after a few years, the warning lights stayed on and involuntary deceleration seemed to cease. Two different factory dealerships provided two different diagnoses. One said yaw sensor and other sensors need replacement (out of warranty); the other, more recently said that brake booster and actuator need replacement (out of warranty). Vehicle continues to brake normally and ABS does function keeping the SUV steerable during panic stops. Traction and stability control issues were not tested by this driver. Search of internet based user groups shows this problem common in earlier year Sequoia/Tundra models. Costs of repairs range from $1600 for yaw sensors to $3700 for brake booster and actuators. Toyota usa is unresponsive unless repairs are undertaken and makes no warranty of cooperation should repairs prove ineffective or unnecessary. This appears to be an ongoing issue with this and other 2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 and limited models.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 012003

Sequoia 8-cyl

Concern started with a vsc and traction control warning lights in instrument cluster coming on and off in an intermittent fashion without pattern or external cause. The warning lights would not remain on but instead would glow for a brief bit of time and then extinguish. The vehicle did exhibit a spontaneous deceleration on several occasions while operating at low speed (less than 20 mph) and on level, smooth ground. The episodes were brief and normal brake operation return immediately once speed dropped to approximately 5 mph. In the decades that I have operated this automobile, the warning lights went from lighting intermittently to being illuminated continuously; the spontaneous breaking has seemingly ceased since these lights have remained on. Dealership and factory were informed of this concern with each service visit. Dealership response was that they were unwilling or unable to diagnose an intermittent concern. Once the lights remained on, I was initially informed that they suspected a defective yaw sensor and more recently, malfunctioning brake booster components; warranty period had lapsed and no extension was offered. Attempts to correctly diagnose and repair this concern have dragged on for 10 years with dealership and factory position that repairs, be they diagnostic (the yaw sensor replacement) or definitive (booster and brake system), were not warranty issues despite their intermittent presentation during the warranty period. My periodic practical testing of the brakes demonstrates that the ABS system functions properly despite warning light indications to the contrary. Current dealership estimated cost to replace brake booster and actuators is $3800 with a 12 month warranty. Toyota usa's position is this is not a warranty issue as of April 2013.

- West Hollywood, CA, USA

Mar 122007

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc traction and ABS control warning lights stay lit. Lights would go on and off and now stay lit all the time so have no warning if ABS system is functional or has other issues. Lost the ability to turn traction control on/off. Took vehicle in for service at dealer, 3-26-07, and was informed it was a manufacturing defect with an internal component, yaw rate sensor. Reported to Toyota and requested assistance in repairing as this appeared to be a manufacturing defect. Toyota denied claim. Have seen vehicles produced 1 month earlier are now under recall for similar issues NHTSA campaign # 10V176000. Dealer cost to repair at time was $1433. Have experienced braking oddities on occasions.

- Evans, GA, USA

Feb 062013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vsc trac, vsc and the ABS warning lights illuminated. The contact mentioned that when she attempted to engage the brakes, the brake seized, causing the vehicle to slide across the pavement. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the sensor position for the steering angle sensor needed to be replaced and the electronic control unit needed to be updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V176000 (electronic stability control, traction control system). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Smyrna, DE, USA

Mar 172013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Started car up and put it in reverse all the sudden these lights came on and the bakes now fill funny.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Nov 062006

Sequoia 8-cyl

Unintended acceleration, increased acceleration despite stepping on brake, , brakes did not stop car and crashed total loss.

- Greentown, PA, USA

Mar 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The Toyota Sequoia went nose down and started to make a grinding noise pulling hard to the right. Loss of power happened and I had no control. I tried to accelerate but it seemed like there was no response. It has done this three times. I feel like I will hit someone or someone will hit me!

- Headland, AL, USA

Nov 012012

Vsc, trac, brake lights.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Aug 312012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc trac light has been on (showing it is off), along with the check engine light. Occasionally the brake light comes on too while driving. Today the ABS light came on. The only code that is coming up is for a weak O2 sensor.

- Oil City, PA, USA

Feb 232012

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving the truck when I heard a noise in the tires like they were falling down I had encounter this when I had the truck new. But it is stop and 10 years later it is doing it again I believe the dealer should fix it because I read a lot of people have this problem it can cause a I'm concern and would like to get it fix thanks.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Oct 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

One day the vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights all came on the dash, shortly after this happened we received a recall notice in the mail stating this exact problem. So I made an appointment at our local Toyota dealership for them to look at it and fix. The first time I dropped it off for the day they called after and said the machine to test the vehicle was down, and that it would be a day or two before it was repaired, well I needed my vehicle so I went a picked it up. About a month later I made another appointment and returned to the dealership where they finally tested my vehicle and proceeded to tell me that my vehicle did not fit the criteria for VIN identification. I really do not know how this is possible considering all the information stated on the recall is exactly what is wrong with my vehicle. After days of research I have learned that multiple sensors and ECU needs to be replaced costing in the range of $2000 plus dollars. Also I have read multiple consumer complaints just like this one. These lights are on the vehicle for a reason and Toyota put the recall out for a reason so fix the problems!!!!

- Charodn, OH, USA

Mar 082011

Problem one: "brake" warning light comes on at random but then doesn't come back on at next restart of car. Brake fluid and all mechanics are ok. Braking doesn't seem to be affected but I am worried that there will be an ABS failure that I'll ignore because of this faulty warning light. Sometimes the stability control activates for no reason at low speed. Problem two: Frame is nearly rusted out. There is a recall for the similar Tundra, and supposedly a recall for these particular Sequoias in some states, but nothing comes up for my vehicle in Indiana. Vehicle, purchased from Toyota dealer oxmoor Toyota a year ago, is unsafe to drive.

- Depauw, IN, USA

Aug 072012

My vsc off and vsc trac lights says on and my ABS light is also on as well.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 172012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once. There is obviously a quality control issue with these that Toyota does not want to be on the hook for. Many others went to the national highway safety program and filed a complaint. If they get enough of these they will go to the manufacturer and issue a recall.

- Vancouver , WA, USA

May 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

My 2003 Toyota Sequoia's ABS/vsc/trac lights are on. Now the brake light is coming on intermittently. We've had the rear and front brake pads changed recently. Recently while we were coming to a slow stop at a gas station, I was pressing the brake and it made a loud grinding noise. It felt like the brakes were going to give out. Immediately after, the brake light went on. I turned the engine off and the brake light was gone. A few times while at a stop light, the car will give a little jerk as if being hit from the back. Called Toyota customer care center to file a complaint with them regarding the issue with the lights and brakes issue. Did internet research and this is a very common complaint among Sequoia owners...yet they still don't have a safely recall on this vehicle. The Toyota representative said there was a recall for the ECU skid control system - but that my VIN number didn't fall under the recall. We have taken it to an independent mechanic and they pulled the following codes: C1223, C1244, C1247 and C1310. It seems that if this is a problem that many Sequoia owners are experiencing, Toyota should fix it. Please help!

- San Diego, CA, USA