1.2

2003 Toyota Sequoia engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota Sequoia:

2003 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Aug 232016

Sequoia

I have a 2003 Sequoia with 253,000 miles on it. About a month ago, while driving on a flat, dry road at about 30 miles per hour and slowing for an upcoming stoplight, my vsc off, vsc trac and check engine lights all suddenly came on. Apparently this is a known issue with this year vehicle. I am struggling now to figure out how L will afford to take this car in for repair and L am angered at being put in this position. This was an expensive, luxury SUV when we bought it and the manufacturer should own up to this bad part. If I'd wanted a crappy made car, L wouldn't have wasted $40K on this one.

- Mocksville, NC, USA

Apr 012016

Sequoia

Hello, I have a 2003 Toyota sequioa where the engine light and the vcs lights are both on. I saw on your page some really helpful information on this make/model recall. I've reached out to Toyota customer service because there was a recall on this make/model but they said that my VIN number was not part of that recall, even though it's having the same issues?? the recall was that Toyota had to replace the skid control engine control unit (ECU) and upgrade program logic in its vehicle stability control (vcs) system. I took my vehicle in to get it inspected and they provided me with 3 codes: C1203 - engine control system communication circuit malfunction C1360 - vehicle skid control master pressure sensor malfunction P0420 - catalyst system efficiency below threshold these are all system issues. Can you help me?

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Oct 212015

Sequoia

While driving on the street at speed limit the car shuts off without any warning. You have no way to break but to place your car in park. I have had this happen twice not sure why it keeps happening. This is very very dangerous.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 172015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. While driving 15 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the brakes. The vehicle started to decelerate on its own. In addition, while driving 70 mph, the same abnormal noise occurred and the vehicle decelerated. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that more information was needed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Folson, CA, USA

Dec 062014

Sequoia 8-cyl

As I was driving I notice my trac off, vsc trac, engine light all came on at once, also notice loss of power to my vehicle.

- Seguin, TX, USA

Jul 222014

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stability control, traction control, and the check engine warning lights suddenly remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Apr 202013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway and my vsc trac lights came on along with my engine light. When I got home, I looked at my vehicle manual to determine what had happened. I attempted to remedy the problem as suggested by Toyota, unfortunately, nothing changed. Approximately 2 weeks later my brake light intermittently turned on & off. Less than 5 months earlier, I had my all of my brakes replaced, so I can't imagine that my brakes are faulty. I became alarmed by these electronic miscues - so I went online to explore whether this was a common thread with other Sequoia owners. I discovered very quickly that there are many people who have had problems with their vsc / engine / and brake lights becoming activated. I was hoping this problem might be covered under a recall, but it appears that it is not. I am hoping for a remedy that won't have extensive costs to me.

- Jackson, WI, USA

Mar 172013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Started car up and put it in reverse all the sudden these lights came on and the bakes now fill funny.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Nov 012012

Vsc, trac, brake lights.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Oct 162012

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2003 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the traction control system disengaged without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the catalytic converter was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The approximate failure mileage was 253,00 and the current mileage was 257,000.

- West Chester, OH, USA