2004 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Mar 302009

Sequoia

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The vsc, trac and emergency brake lights come on. If I turn the car off and then turn it back on then the lights will go off. This has been going on for one week now. I took it to the dealer and they want $2100 to fix the computer. Apparently, this is a widespread problem with the Toyota Sequoia.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 162009

Sequoia

Vehicle has faulty vsc computer. After researching this problem, I noticed several identical complaints. As a result of the extent of the complaints, I feel there should have been a recall from Toyota to address this problem. I do not have $1615 to fix it.

- Newark, DE, USA

Dec 012008

Sequoia

I bought a new 2004 Toyota Sequoia limited in may '05. Roughly 6 months into ownership - my brake light, vsc (traction control) and track off lights came on intermittently. I had my brakes replaced in Dec '07 and this seemed to clear up the issue. In Sept '08, my brake light started lighting up again intermittently and on 12/1/08, my vsc and track off lights came on and stayed on. I brought it to my Toyota dealer for service and they are telling me that my skid control computer needs to replaced to the tune of $1800. After doing some research, it appears that this is a very common issue and has been going on since 2002. The failure of these systems leaves me without ABS and without vsc (two of the reasons I bought the car I did) and at an increased risk of having an accident. I would like an investigation done on this component to determine if a recall is warranted.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Mar 082008

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the two vehicle stability control warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer stated that the yaw rate sensor needed to be replaced. The current mileage was 78,000 and failure mileage was 73,000.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Oct 172008

Sequoia

2004 Toyota Sequoia vsc computer and bank sensor failure dashboard lights came on dealer examined - says skid control ECU and bank sensor need to be replaced.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 102008

Sequoia

Vsc, ABS and brake lights in dash come on and do not go off. After dealer inspection it was determined that the traction control module needed replacing. This is a very expensive part that is critical to the safety of the braking system and should be reviewed as a recall item on this model.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Aug 032008

Sequoia

I own a 2004 Toyota Sequoia with 35,500 miles. I recently took my vehicle to Toyota to check on the vehicle skid control (vsc) light, vsc track light and the check engine light because they would not turn off. The service advisor stated that based the diagnostic repair codes and a repair bulletin, the skid control ECU must be replaced at a cost of $1668.90 this is very disappointing and Toyota's are looking less than good at the moment. The ECU is not a wear and tear item and is not subject to ongoing maintenance, it's a computer chip that is designed to control the vsc. If the ECU can not be reprogrammed to function as intended, then this design flaw that again should have been replaced under warranty or as a recall. The design flaw is serious and affects the safety and stability of the vehicle. Finally, the ECU is essentially a small computer and at a high price tag to replace such and inexpensive part is absurd. I own 3 Toyota SUV's and if Toyota does not honor its commitment to quality, then I will not keep, purchase, nor recommended a Toyota again. I hope Toyota does the right thing and issue a recall for this problem. Thanks

- Paterson, NJ, USA

Jul 312008

Sequoia

*******2004 Toyota Sequoia ltd vsc computer failure, wheel lockup on left********* brake light, vsc and trac light all came on. I was driving approx. 20 mph and the left front wheel locked up and the car pulled sharply to the left. The brake pedal went to the floor and I lost brake pedal effectiveness. I turned the car off and restarted it and all lights went out and brake feel and effectiveness appears ok. I took the car straight to the dealer for inspection. For the last 2 years the brake light would come on and stay on and when I turned off the car and restarted it the light would go off. For 2 years my local dealer in butler, pa could not get a failure code. When I took the car for diagnostics, the cause was the ECM part number 89541-OC062 at a cost of about $1377. They replaced it at the great dealership in langhorne, pa. I have 55,659 miles on this vehicle. Since the repair the brake warning light has come on one time and stayed on, when we restarted the car it went away. I will return to dealer to have this checked again next time it comes on. It seems to me that this lockup of the wheel and loss of braking effectiveness is a real big safety issue on these vehicles. Please get back to me to tell me if NHTSA is looking into this situation. Thank you!

- Harmony, PA, USA

Jul 172008

Sequoia

2004 Toyota Sequoia skid control ECU had to be replaced by the dealer as the ABS light continually light ups on my vehicle.

- Midland, TX, USA

Oct 152007

Sequoia

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. With just over 52,000 miles, the emergency brake light would come on for no apparent reason. The only way to get it to go off would be to stop and restart the vehicle. The local Toyota dealership advised us to check the brake fluid. It was fine. When I took my vehicle in for routine maintenance, they informed me that the anti-skid ECU computer component was going out. They said it wasn't a safety issue; however, we feel like it most definitely is a safety issue. Sequoia's are prone to roll over in accidents, and the anti-skid function is critical. We have done research, and it is obvious that Toyota is aware that it is a problem. Despite their knowledge of the problem, a recall has not been issued. Is it going to take major accidents or deaths of innocent passengers to get Toyota to issue a recall? because of the safety factor, we ended up spending $1,507.48 in order to have this replaced. With less than 53,000 miles on a Sequoia, it is ridiculous to have to spend that amount of money. The original anti-skid ECU is obviously defective; Toyota needs to do the right thing and issue a recall.

- Flintville, TN, USA