2004 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 012016

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the ABS, vsc, four wheel drive, and other brake system warning indicators illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who contacted the dealer regarding the codes that appeared during the diagnostic test. The dealer was unsure of what the codes indicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,400.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 152016

Sequoia

I have to add my voice to the crowd. The vsc trac, vsc off, and ABS brake warning lights come on intermittently. Loses power. Toyota wants $1500+ to replace a computer and they don't guarantee a fix. This problem occurs while on the road and sometimes after just starting it up in the driveway. It's a known issue that Toyota should fix..

- Northpotomac, MD, USA

Jul 132016

Sequoia

Vsc trac, vsc off and check engine lights come on and will not go off. Have had this happen before years ago. Searched and this is a common problem that needs to be addressed. Lights came as vehicle was in motion.

- Little River, SC, USA

Jul 032016

Sequoia

ABS and trac lights came on while driving approx. 65 mph. Alarm tone started, and car slowed with a pulsating braking action. After a short time alarm stopped and braking action stopped. Very scary...afraid to drive now.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 122016

Sequoia

Vsc track sensor and engine check lights came on while driving at 40 mph in the city. I have noticed in the past two months that when I slow to make a turn the breaks lock up and grind, but not always. The safety break is also on. I have read that when the vsc lights do come on that you cannot go over 50 miles an hour or when on the highway the car will slow down to 50 and cannot go any faster. I'm afraid of this happening when traveling on the highway.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Apr 292016

Sequoia

I am the original owner of this vehicle, it currently has 155,600 miles on it. I have been very happy with Toyota and this vehicle until my recent incidents involving inability to stop while at slow speeds, followed by a loud noise and shaking and three lights illuminate when this occurs: Brake, vsc, and trac control. After reading the many reports, I realize that this is quite common and am upset that Toyota has done nothing about it! I had my car towed to the dealer after the first incident as it was so frightening that I would not drive it. The sensors were no longer on and Toyota told me there was nothing wrong (my front brakes and rotors were replaced by them a few months prior). It happened again a few weeks later, this time I turned the car off and back on and got the lights to go off, then I drove it directly to my mechanic. He found three error codes associated with the ABS system. He said it's expensive to replace so he reset the system and we decided to see if that works. Now, a week or so after the reset, it happened to me again in traffic. After reading all of the other very similar reports, I no longer feel safe to drive my car! please make Toyota be responsible for their negligence to their customer's safety! I found reports on this dating back to 2004 and I know there was a recall done on the 2003 models.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 232015

Sequoia

ABS/ trac/skid light come on at different speeds and brakes jerk you back and forth on road. If someone were next to you, you would hit them. SUV make ABS grinding sound when this happens. The truck acts like it is in nutural, wont move. If you turn SUV on off a few times, its start acting normal again. My teen age daughter was jurked of road into grass 2times this mth. Bought SUV new.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

May 202015

Sequoia

I bought my car used two weeks ago from an individual. I noticed on my way home that the seatbelt light would come on and then go back off while I was driving, even though I was wearing my seatbelt. A few days later, as I was pulling into my daughter's driveway, the brake light came on. I turned the car off, and the next time I started up, the light didn't come on. It came on again several days later while my husband was driving the car. The next light to come on was my fuel light. The gauge said my car was on empty, and I knew I had at least half a tank of gas. I began to grow concerned with the vehicle, so I took it to my Toyota dealer yesterday. They told me I needed a new seatbelt clip and a fuel sensor, which are "minor", but that I also needed a new master cylinder, brake pads and rotors, and several other brake-related issues, plus there is a problem with the skid control - all to the tune of $5,900. I decided to get a second opinion, but in the meantime, in researching this particular vehicle, I saw many people have posted comments regarding the skid control/brake system on 2002-2004 Sequoias. Apparently a recall was issued for the model year 2003, but nothing has been done to help owners of 2004 models, and I am wondering why.

- Greenbrier, AR, USA

Mar 152009

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon leaving my driveway multiple times car starts beeping and lights flashing and finally corrects itself. In 2010 I had "yaw rate sensor" replaced at a cost of $511. Then the brake light on the dash continued to come on. I finally took it in to the Toyota dealer and they told me I needed the "skid control ECU" replaced at a cost of $907 plus tax. I refused this because they assured me the brakes are still working fine. There have been numerous complaints to Toyota on this model and similar model Sequoias. Tsb's have been issued but no recalls. Please help us get this problem addressed with Toyota.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a '04 Sequoia 4WD ltd, my vsc trac, vsc off and ABS lights come on and stay on, they never go off. The visit to a dealer ended with them stating that they could not read any codes, so the vsc computer needs to be replaced, about $1,500 total. The car is not experiencing any problems, but, the lights stay on.....Sequoia has 83K miles. Anyone offer any advice or help to solve the problems?

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 122014

Sequoia

Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off. This problem affects Toyota Sequoia from 2003 - 2005. There is a recall for 2003 model but not 2004. Other drivers report a loss of power (total loss of power - the vehicle shut off) while the car in driving. Here is the recall for the 2003 model: Recall id # 68549 - electronic stability control plus recall date: Apr 30, 2010 model affected: 2003 Toyota Sequoia summary: Toyota is recalling certain model year 2003 Sequoia passenger vehicles manufactured from April 1, 2002 through April 17, 2003. The center position of the steering angle sensor (SAS) may not be stored correctly due to improper logic of the skid control ECU programming. The vehicle stability control (vsc) system could activate at low speed for a few seconds during acceleration from a stopped position. Consequences: Should this occur, the vehicle may not accelerate as quickly as the driver expects, increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Toyota will notify owners and dealers will re-flash the ECU. If the re-flash cannot be completed on a particular vehicle, the ECU will be replaced with a new one. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall began on June 11, 2010. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Potential units affected: 50000.

- Mequon, WI, USA

Sep 172014

Sequoia 8-cyl

At apparently random times the ((!)) light indicating a problem with the brakes will turn on. Sometimes without warning the brakes will lock up at low speeds for a split second locking up the wheels. A little research showed that the 2003 of the same make and model had a recall (10V176000) that describes my problem in detail. I think this recall should be extended to 2004 model. I post on a forum got a lot of action with people having the same issue. This is very dangerous and since I regularly tow 5000lbs I would hate for this to occur then. The replacement part is available only from Toyota and at a serious price tag.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 222014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage. This problem affects Toyota Sequoia from 2003 - 2005. They a recall for 2003 model but not 1004 and 2005. Other driver report a loss of power (total loss of power - the vehicle shut off) while the car in driving. Here is the recall for the 2003 model: Recall id # 68549 - electronic stability control plus recall date: Apr 30, 2010 model affected: 2003 Toyota Sequoia summary: Toyota is recalling certain model year 2003 Sequoia passenger vehicles manufactured from April 1, 2002 through April 17, 2003. The center position of the steering angle sensor (SAS) may not be stored correctly due to improper logic of the skid control ECU programming. The vehicle stability control (vsc) system could activate at low speed for a few seconds during acceleration from a stopped position. Consequences: Should this occur, the vehicle may not accelerate as quickly as the driver expects, increasing the risk of a crash. Remedy: Toyota will notify owners and dealers will re-flash the ECU. If the re-flash cannot be completed on a particular vehicle, the ECU will be replaced with a new one. This service will be performed free of charge. The safety recall began on June 11, 2010. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Potential units affected: 50000.

- Upland, CA, USA

May 142014

Sequoia

Vsc trac light and trac off lights on. Also service engine light on. Won't shut off. Brake light also comes on and then off for no reason. I see on complaint list this is issue for many years but Toyota refuses to recall vehicles. Maybe not enough injuries or deaths or law suits yet. Not a good way Toyota treats customers. Toyota should recall and fix vehicles that have built in - designed in defects. Very disappointing. Also a couple years ago the front ball joint broke...luckily driving slowly and not on the highway.

- Milford, MI, USA

Sep 172013

Sequoia

Date and mileage above are approximate. While accelerating on an up inclined entrance ramp to the ben franklin bridge in philadelphia, the engine lost speed and the vehicle quickly slowed. No one was behind me so there was minimal danger. The behavior was similar to snow/ice skid control whereby the engine decouples and the accelerator pedal becomes useless. After about 5 seconds power returned. On 6/24/2014 (mileage 165,400) my brake light came on. I coincidentally had an 5,000 mile service appointment today (6/24/2014) and the diagnosis was a code C1247 - ABS ECU (computer) is failing. The mechanic explained that the ECU had failing circuits, or failing solder connections. A little internet research suggested that the unit might simply have logic problems. The mechanic advised that when the brake light is on, all skid control and ABS functionality is gone. As the light was on for a short period of time, and is now off I am going to see how the vehicle performs and if safety is effected.

- Belle Mead, NJ, USA

May 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc, traction control light, and check engine light activated and is now staying illuminated. Slight loss of power and hesitation during acceleration.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

May 122014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Recently the traction control lights have come on and I am told the ECU needs replacing. Also at the same time the check engine light came on. I am being told by dealer that ECU will need to be replaced that it is a common problem with the vehicle and he repaired many.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 202006

Sequoia 8-cyl

We purchased our Sequoia in July of 2004. On Dec. 20, 2006 the vsc off and vsc trac lights came on. We took the car in to our Toyota dealer on Jan. 3, 2007 (48,127 mi) to have them take a look at it. We were told the lights were on because of a charcoal canister that needed replacing. We replaced the canister on Aug. 8, 2007 (58,184 mi.) at a cost of approx. $425. We believe this cost should have been covered under the emission system's warranty but the dealer said 'no' and we reluctantly paid it. On a trip to ca, the oil pressure gauge quit working. We went to a Toyota dealer in victorville, ca on Dec.3, 2007 (66,587 mi.) we were told the oil pressure was fine but the 'combo meter' needed replacing at an estimated cost of $900. We declined the service. At some point after that, the vsc off and vsc trac lights came back on. On April 1, 2009 (87,456 mi.) we took the car in to the Toyota dealer to have them check on the lights. We were told the 'skid control ECU' needed replacing at an estimated cost of $1400. We declined the service. The lights are still on to this day at 165,977 miles. In Dec. 2011, after a snowy day, we were traveling about 25 mph when the car broke traction and sent us spinning 180* out-of-control. If it wasn't for a snow berm we would have rolled down a hill into a pond. This vehicle is unsafe!! I'm sure we have paid dearly for the stability control feature in this car but it has been inoperable for most of time we've owned it. This is definitely a manufacturer's defect that should be recalled and made right. We don't believe we should have to bear the cost of fixing this problem ourselves.

- Ozark, MO, USA

Apr 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

This appears to be exceptionally common. The vsc trac, vsc off and ABS and parking brake lights come on, the brakes are degraded and the front end vibrates as the brakes appear to be pulsing. This has happened at least 10 times over the years. At first we thought it was the emergency brake and we had the tightened, since it seemed that there might be something loose and it was engaging as we drove. That wasn't it, obviously and it continues to occur. With such a heavy, large car, we have nearly rear-ended others, but got lucky. Each time the car pulls to one side sharply and you have to stop and restart the car to get all the lights to turn off and come back to normal. I have had the brakes done and redone several times and this still occurs.. on each occasion we could get out of it, but its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Toyota has obviously ignored this..I have download the complaints and there are >500 on this very topic. As I read through all these, the similarity between them is beyond coincidence and it appears that nothing actually fixes this. As of right now, I cannot let my family drive this car. I am bringing it into to the dealer (with copies of all these complaints) and see what comes of it. My hopes are not high. The recall in 2003 seems like they tried to address this (not clear if it was same issue). My concern really is that someone has to get killed. The issue with that logic is that dead people don't fill out complaints and if there was a death, it appears that the error/diagnostic codes do not register and get saved for retrieval (from reading all these complaints). Serious crashes would be investigated, codes would be looked at and nothing would come up. Case closed. What would happen, Toyota, if all accidents got re-investigated" how much would that cost" ask the GM CEO how much their investigation is costing.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 222014

Sequoia 8-cyl

The skid control light flashes at randomly at low speeds causing the vehicle not to accelerate; and at times during a left turn;took vehicle to Toyota dealer I was informed that skid computer was identifying a skidding condition during wet conditions, but the surface was dry. This defect can cause an accident from the rear or oncoming traffic. Other 2004 models have reported similar problems with ESC, trac control and ABS.

- Bowie, MD, USA