2004 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 012016

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the ABS, vsc, four wheel drive, and other brake system warning indicators illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who contacted the dealer regarding the codes that appeared during the diagnostic test. The dealer was unsure of what the codes indicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 155,400.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Jul 032016

Sequoia

ABS and trac lights came on while driving approx. 65 mph. Alarm tone started, and car slowed with a pulsating braking action. After a short time alarm stopped and braking action stopped. Very scary...afraid to drive now.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Jan 152016

Sequoia

The driver seat belt wont go in so I cant wear a seatbelt, the vsc trac and check enginine light goes off and on and the brakes slip

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Apr 292016

Sequoia

I am the original owner of this vehicle, it currently has 155,600 miles on it. I have been very happy with Toyota and this vehicle until my recent incidents involving inability to stop while at slow speeds, followed by a loud noise and shaking and three lights illuminate when this occurs: Brake, vsc, and trac control. After reading the many reports, I realize that this is quite common and am upset that Toyota has done nothing about it! I had my car towed to the dealer after the first incident as it was so frightening that I would not drive it. The sensors were no longer on and Toyota told me there was nothing wrong (my front brakes and rotors were replaced by them a few months prior). It happened again a few weeks later, this time I turned the car off and back on and got the lights to go off, then I drove it directly to my mechanic. He found three error codes associated with the ABS system. He said it's expensive to replace so he reset the system and we decided to see if that works. Now, a week or so after the reset, it happened to me again in traffic. After reading all of the other very similar reports, I no longer feel safe to drive my car! please make Toyota be responsible for their negligence to their customer's safety! I found reports on this dating back to 2004 and I know there was a recall done on the 2003 models.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the traction light remained illuminated and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The traction control, brake, and check engine lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where it was diagnosed that the software for the brake control module needed to be updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and gave the contact a reference. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 232015

Sequoia

ABS/ trac/skid light come on at different speeds and brakes jerk you back and forth on road. If someone were next to you, you would hit them. SUV make ABS grinding sound when this happens. The truck acts like it is in nutural, wont move. If you turn SUV on off a few times, its start acting normal again. My teen age daughter was jurked of road into grass 2times this mth. Bought SUV new.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Jul 102014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Sometimes while driving on freeway my brakes light warning on the dashboard would come on and would only turn off the light if I turn off the engine. Many times on street speed (10-45 mph) if the vsc, track off and brake light comes on at the same time, the car will loose power on the brakes and will have a grinding and vibrating noise. I went to a Toyota dealer and told me bring the car when it happen again so they could do a diagnostic test. Why wait for something serious to happened before they could check my car?

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jul 162015

Sequoia

My engine light comes on then the vsc and trac control light. I clear codes but they return. I'm afraid to drive this vehicle since we use it mainly to pull our boat.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 042015

Sequoia

My 2004 Toyota Sequoia experienced brake failure at 10 miles per hour. I was looking to make a turn at the light and my vehicle gave me a huge jerk and the brakes begin to give out. After the brake failure the vs and brakes light came on. I have seen a lot of people posting this problem with there vehicle. I am looking for help since my children drive my vehicle sometimes. Help!!! I brought this vehicle because of it's reputation. However, after seeing all the issues with this vehicle and Toyota refusal to repair the problem, my family will be looking else where.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

May 202015

Sequoia

I bought my car used two weeks ago from an individual. I noticed on my way home that the seatbelt light would come on and then go back off while I was driving, even though I was wearing my seatbelt. A few days later, as I was pulling into my daughter's driveway, the brake light came on. I turned the car off, and the next time I started up, the light didn't come on. It came on again several days later while my husband was driving the car. The next light to come on was my fuel light. The gauge said my car was on empty, and I knew I had at least half a tank of gas. I began to grow concerned with the vehicle, so I took it to my Toyota dealer yesterday. They told me I needed a new seatbelt clip and a fuel sensor, which are "minor", but that I also needed a new master cylinder, brake pads and rotors, and several other brake-related issues, plus there is a problem with the skid control - all to the tune of $5,900. I decided to get a second opinion, but in the meantime, in researching this particular vehicle, I saw many people have posted comments regarding the skid control/brake system on 2002-2004 Sequoias. Apparently a recall was issued for the model year 2003, but nothing has been done to help owners of 2004 models, and I am wondering why.

- Greenbrier, AR, USA

May 042015

Sequoia 6-cyl

Brakes do not work correctly. There was a recall on the Sequoia however, when I called Toyota last month they had told me that I was unable to have the recall taken care of because my time had expired! how can that be possible if there is a defect in the Sequoia" sure enough I was driving and there was a problem stopping as had been noted in the recall. This is extremely dangerous and unfair! if I get into an accident Toyota will be liable! what can I do about this??"

- Bronx, NY, USA

Mar 152009

Sequoia 8-cyl

Upon leaving my driveway multiple times car starts beeping and lights flashing and finally corrects itself. In 2010 I had "yaw rate sensor" replaced at a cost of $511. Then the brake light on the dash continued to come on. I finally took it in to the Toyota dealer and they told me I needed the "skid control ECU" replaced at a cost of $907 plus tax. I refused this because they assured me the brakes are still working fine. There have been numerous complaints to Toyota on this model and similar model Sequoias. Tsb's have been issued but no recalls. Please help us get this problem addressed with Toyota.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 162015

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a '04 Sequoia 4WD ltd, my vsc trac, vsc off and ABS lights come on and stay on, they never go off. The visit to a dealer ended with them stating that they could not read any codes, so the vsc computer needs to be replaced, about $1,500 total. The car is not experiencing any problems, but, the lights stay on.....Sequoia has 83K miles. Anyone offer any advice or help to solve the problems?

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012007

Sequoia

This appears to be exceptionally common. The vsc trac, vsc off and ABS and parking brake lights come on, the brakes are degraded and the front end vibrates as the brakes appear to be pulsing. This has happens spare-attic ally over the years. At first we thought it was the emergency brake and we had the tightened, since it seemed that there might be something loose and it was engaging as we drove. That wasn't it, obviously and it continues to occur. With such a heavy, large truck, we have nearly rear-ended others, but got lucky. Each time the car pulls to one side sharply and you have to stop and restart the car to get all the lights to turn off and come back to normal. I have had the brakes done and redone several times and this still occurs.. on each occasion we could get out of it, but its only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Toyota has obviously ignored this..I have download the complaints and there are >500 on this very topic. As I read through all these, the similarity between them is beyond coincidence and it appears that nothing actually fixes this. As of right now.

- Addison, TX, USA

Sep 172014

Sequoia 8-cyl

At apparently random times the ((!)) light indicating a problem with the brakes will turn on. Sometimes without warning the brakes will lock up at low speeds for a split second locking up the wheels. A little research showed that the 2003 of the same make and model had a recall (10V176000) that describes my problem in detail. I think this recall should be extended to 2004 model. I post on a forum got a lot of action with people having the same issue. This is very dangerous and since I regularly tow 5000lbs I would hate for this to occur then. The replacement part is available only from Toyota and at a serious price tag.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 022008

Sequoia 8-cyl

I purchased the vehicle used in 2008 with approximately 40,000 miles on it. Shortly after I got it, the brake light came on for what seemed like no noticeable reason. I had it checked out by the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. Throughout the time I've had the vehicle, the brake light continues to come on periodically. I've had it checked out a few times and they always say nothing is wrong. About two weeks ago I was stopping for a red light and all of a sudden the brake pedal went to the floor. I brought it in and they said there was air in the line, which they fixed. After that time my brake light came on several times, but I thought it was just the false alarms that I had always gotten. Then last night (9/15/2014) I had the problem once again with the pedal went to the floor when I was trying to stop for a light and the vehicle wouldn't stop until I lifted my foot off the brake and put it back on. Now the dealer says there is a leak in the master cylinder. One of my fears from all these years of the brake light coming on for no real reason was that one day it would come on for a valid reason and I wouldn't know because of all the previous false alarm lights. As we all know brakes failing can cause injuries or deaths.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 022008

Sequoia

The ABS and vsc track lights started to come on. Currently these lights come on intermittent. Sometimes when these lights come on, the brakes seems as if they are applied.

- Davis, CA, USA

Jul 082013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that another vehicle crashed into the front drivers side of the vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. Additionally the contact stated the brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was unknown.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 242007

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have brought this vehicle to dealer numerous time over the years that the brake warning light came on. Over the years they could not pull a code because the brake warning light was not on. Because it was sporadic I left it until it they came on and would not go off. They wanted to replace it after the warranty had expired and after I had been telling them that the light had been coming on. Toyota has know that this a problem for some 2000 - 2005 Toyota products.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jun 272014

Sequoia 6-cyl

The vsc, trac off and break light all came on while I was picking speed from the stopping at the light. Previous to that, my husband has brought the car in to inquire about the break light coming on and off and Toyota stated there was nothing wrong with the car. Initially, I was told I could drive the car without any difficulties and once my car /account was pulled/viewed in the system then I was told to bring the car in immediately - within 30 minutes. Now I am being told that flush brake system - all, booster assy, cylinder sub assy, master cylinder seal,2 gaskets which is now costing me over $2,000. I have seen many complaints and recall on this same problem. Please advise. Thank you.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA