2004 Toyota Sequoia suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sequoia:

2004 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments

Jun 012010

Sequoia

The entire frame is rusting including the rear differential, suspension and other structural component. The dealer sprayed on a liquid tar but now that is falling off with the rust which was sprayed over.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 072016

Sequoia

Me and my family were driving southeast on highway 280 on the far right lane trying to take junction 85 gilroy when all of a sudden through tire on the front driver side came off and the car just was limp on that side and all I can see was sparks and smoke my whole family was terrified.I was trying with all my strength to control the car and with the will of god I managed to safely stop the car.I step out to see what happened and the tire was stuck under the car and completely of the joint with the brecksame still connected to the tire

- Salinas, CA, USA

Mar 172016

Sequoia

Last week, (3/17/16) my neighbor was taking her three children to school in her 2004 Toyota Sequoia. She was traveling on a new road at approximately 30 mph when the front end of the vehicle dropped on driver's side. She thought she had a flat tire so she steered to the side of the road. It appears the driver's side, lower ball joint failed (see photos). I called hendrick Toyota of apex, nc and talked with Mr. John specht (919-335-1678). He checked the VIN and said the lower ball joints had a recall and were changed on Aug. 15, 2007. He also suggested I contact Toyota to request their assistance to cover the cost to repair the vehicle (case no. 1603171574). He advised the vehicle be brought in for the airbag recall too. The vehicle was towed home on a dolly to prevent any damage to the transmission. The vehicle has 215,444 miles and was not used for off-road driving. The vehicle recently passed state inspection with no problems noted about the front end. If the lower ball joints were already replaced in a recall (2007) what did they replace them with, and how did they correct the problem? this failure could have caused a deadly accident at higher speed. When a lower ball joint breaks, the driver can only steer with one wheel. Bruce somers for melissa wisdom

- Cary, NC, USA

Sep 052015

Sequoia

Our situation is virtually the same as many other complaints in your system. Namely that Toyota had our dealer apply undercoat to the frame of our 2004 Sequoia in July of 2013. On Sept. 5 this year went to the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation and after waiting a few hours was informed they did not perform the service as the frame was so bad. Knowing that a neighbor had the same problem and Toyota bought it back I asked about it and was told "that program was over" this is a serious safety issue and upon calling Toyota usa was told they can't do anything. There are numerous complaints similar to this on the nhts website. Why isn't anything being done about this?

- Maynard, MA, USA

May 292015

Sequoia

The contact owned a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. While driving at approximately 40 mph over a manhole, there was a loud popping sound and the front passenger side wheel folded under the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a ditch on the side of the road. The front passenger sustained injuries to the right knee and required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V013000 (suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 175,000.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Apr 302015

Sequoia 8-cyl

Made a left hand turn and the control arm broke off from rusted frame while traveling at about ten mph. Repair center says the vehicle is a total loss, because the frame is not safe, nothing to re-attach control arm to!

- Port Royal, SC, USA

Oct 292014

Sequoia 8-cyl

*filed with attorney general of New York* recall was issued on the 2004 Sequoia due to corrosion. On July 25, 2013 we brought our car to the dealership to apply a protective coat and waited a week for the car to be returned to us. We had to return the vehicle, September, 2014, to the dealer with the same problem, the spray was flaking off exposing the rust underneath. The vehicle was sprayed for the second time in one day and that time we were told the vehicle's rear axle trailing arm mount was almost separated from the rear axle housing due to the corrosion and it was recommended to replace the axle. At that time we asked if this could have been to the recall of the corrosion, flat out we were told no. We then proceed to take the vehicle to our personal mechanic for second opinion, October 27, 2014, and he confirmed the axle is damage and the frame of the vehicle is in such poor condition that it must be first addressed before replacing the axle; he also mentioned to us this is the second Sequoia that he had seen with the same issue, along he told us the second spraying was done incorrectly, it was not cleaned out they just sprayed over the flaking protective coat and the rust. Our mechanic said the vehicle should not be used because it is not safe and he is willing to sign an affidavit if necessary.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

May 142014

Sequoia

Vsc trac light and trac off lights on. Also service engine light on. Won't shut off. Brake light also comes on and then off for no reason. I see on complaint list this is issue for many years but Toyota refuses to recall vehicles. Maybe not enough injuries or deaths or law suits yet. Not a good way Toyota treats customers. Toyota should recall and fix vehicles that have built in - designed in defects. Very disappointing. Also a couple years ago the front ball joint broke...luckily driving slowly and not on the highway.

- Milford, MI, USA

May 182014

Sequoia 8-cyl

We had a voluntary recall on our Sequoia, we took it to the dealership in wilkesboro nc and they took pictures and sent the Toyota and said we would be safe driving it in March of 2014. That was wrong on May 18th the sway bar ripped from the frame causing Toyota to have to come get it on a roll back and I have been stuck in a small car with three kids 13, 8, & 3 since that date. I personally do not feel safe in the car either as of course they sent me in it. I would like for Toyota to send out a apology to others as well as myself for sending vehicles out with a frame that wouldn't last. My Sequoia is in great condition other than the frame with 116,500 miles on it. I have dealt with corporate as if my husband who was with me wouldn't have been it could have caused a major incident as I am on the road constantly and on interstates. I have lost two children due to stillbirths and I don't fill like Toyota cares about it's customers and their lives.

- Laurel Springs , NC, USA

Mar 102014

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while having the vehicle serviced at a dealer, the technician noticed excessive rust on the frame and suspension. The technician also stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was included in a manufacturer's recall but the dealer was charging for parts because there was a possibility that the part could have fractured during the remedy repair. The contact notified the manufacturer of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 132,000.

- Simphtown, NY, USA

Jan 052012

Sequoia

Was driving my 2004 Toyota Sequoia at 35-40mphin heavy traffic when there was a loud bang, a drop in the front left of the truck and the sound of metal scrapping the pavement. I turned the wheel to the right and hit the brakes to avoid going over the median into on coming traffic. I then skidded across 2 lanes of traffic and hit a car trying to enter the parkway. An eyewitness said he saw the wheel come dislodged for no reason. Luckily the lady who was in the other car only had minor injuries and other than a so far minor case of whip lash everyone is ok. Upon inspecting the vehicle with the police officer it looked as if the wheel and axle were ripped fron the truck. Unfortunately the Sequoia gave me no indications of anything going wrong or I would have taken it to the shop.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Dec 012011

Sequoia

Undercarriage rust hole 6" diameter and more through steel plate under vehicle. 74,000 miles original owner and heated garage. This Sequoia should be included in the rust recall. The underbody rust for an '04 with only 74,000 miles is ridiculous. Extreme rust around brake components.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 162010

Sequoia

I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia that had the right rear wheel bearings replaced last week at my Toyota dealership. Now the engine light is staying on as well as the vhs trac and trac off indicator lights. The car jerks when accelerating. This problem has been intermittent for two months but is now all the time.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Aug 122009

Sequoia

My 2003 Toyota Sequoia has 2 lights that come on when I drive (the vsc and trac off). Sometimes it comes on immediately after I start the car, other times it comes on after driving for about a minute. The Toyota dealership diagnosed it as needing a new skid control ECU. They told me that this computer controls the ABS of the vehicle and that it is unsafe to drive. However, the price tag is too steep to have repaired today.

- Spring, TX, USA

Aug 092004

Sequoia 8-cyl

The sequioa has been pulling and making excessive noise from the front of the vehicle. Drifiting from side to side and hard to steer.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 202004

Sequoia

Purchased new and vehicle shook at high speed. Four trips to dealer, new tires and still the same problem. Will initiate lemon law. Also vehicle doesn't track well at highway speeds. It tends to drift and get blown around tremendously.

- Miami, FL, USA