2005 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 232014

I've had the 2005 Toyota Sequoia for 4 days now we purchased it over the weekend drove it home and it's been fine, all the sudden this morning the trac off light is on and vbc or vsc light is on I can't remember the specific letters, there's now a louder noise when driving down the road like a roar coming from the tires and the vehicle seems harder to stop, I called Toyota there are still no recalls for this issue but after reading all the complaints it sounds like a safety issue, why hasn't this been recalled?

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

Apr 162014

ABS system would engage as vsc skid control light and brake light appears. System would reset after ignition was turned off and restarted. Mishap occurred several times on dry, smooth road surface at a low rate of speed with minimal pressure on brake pedal. I took car to dealer for repair. They replaced skid control ECU. Car repeated symptoms on my way home. I took it back to the dealer. They replaced brake booster. Car is working normally now.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 132014

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc trac, vsc off and ABS light would come on and then reset when I turn off & restart the vehicle. I called the Toyota dealer I take my car to for maintenance and they said to bring it in when the lights turn on again. I did some research and waited for the lights to come back on. The lights came on today & I took it into the dealer. They said the master cylinder and skid ECU was bad & needed to be replaced. They quoted me $1900 plus labor. This is an extremely common problem with the Sequoia's and I am very surprised & disappointed that there hasn't been a recall done for this problem.

- Hondo, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Vsc trac, vsc off, brake, ABS lights... all on, all at once. This has happened several times now. It comes on for a couple of days and then resets itself no codes found. This time it came on again and limited the speed to about 35mph while my wife was driving on a major highway. She was able to get it back home safely thank goodness. I have been reading about similar cases for this model and do not know what to do.please help. We have just had it serviced about a month ago for timing belt replacement etc. This is my wife's primary vehicle and I can't afford to put any more money in this. Is there a recall for this with so many cases of the same issue I have read about?

- Walhalla, SC, USA

Sep 102014

Problem: Brakes disengage or as I've been told the ABS system is engaging when it shouldn't. the front end of my car sounds like it dropping out and I'm hearing a very loud grinding noise. This is happened several times in the past 2 years. Had brakes serviced twice in the past 2 years. Replaced pads, turned rotors. Changed brake fluid. Had sensors checked. Checked by the dealer as well as another brake shop(Firestone). They couldn't find any computer codes to definitely say what the problem is. Only recommended replacing a computer part. I told them I wasn't spending over $1000 on a recommendation. Even carried it to Firestone, since the dealer service dept was closed yesterday evening at 6:45pm when it happened again. Didn't turn off the car with the "brake", "vcs" and another yellow light on and they really didn't see any codes that stood out. Very frustrating and concerning with my wife and kids riding in this car!!!!

- Florence, SC, USA

Mar 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc, trac, ABS and brake lights would all come on a once. They would usually reset after on the next start. It has progressed over the past year to the lights staying on most of the time and only occasionally resetting to off. I have no ABS or stability control due to this malfunction. Even with the lights on, there were no codes on system when I went to the dealer. They recommend replacing the skid control ECU which is very expensive. This seems to be a very common problem.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving my vehicle on the highway to work, my brake warning light on the dash came on. I pulled over cut the truck off then back on, the light was gone. The next day driving home from work, it was pouring down rain and the brake warning light came on again, along with the trac and vsc warning lights. I was only driving about 25 mph since I was in the city and not on the highway yet. I pulled over cut the truck off and then back on, the lights were out, but within another mile they were back on. I avoided the highway since my brakes were having problems and it was pouring rain. The next day they were off so I drove back to work but when I was on the way home they all came back on, this time it was the afternoon and not raining so I took it to the Toyota dealership. They ran the codes and said my codes were C1247 stroke sensor and C136 master press sensor - they said this was part of a skid control ECM that controlled my antilock braking system! very scary to think my brakes were not functioning properly. I was told it could be fixed for $1042.82 and may also need to replace the master cylinder at $715.85. When I looked up the problem online I found that this was very common failure with 2003-05 models and that Toyota had already recalled the 2003 problem. My service tech said that he was not aware this was a common problem, although there is a service bulletin out for it. I was very scared to drive, but the tech said that my brakes still worked but that the anti lock braking system will not stop "on a dime" but will skid or slide. When I asked to speak to the service manager (all were on vacation) I spoke with the lead tech on shift, who told me alot of what I read online was junk and there was no recall on my 2005 Sequoia but he gave me a number to Toyota complaint department:1-800-331-4331. I have not driven my vehicle since taking it home that day.

- Gaffney, SC, USA

Nov 152006

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated while driving 35 mph, the brake lights illuminated on the instrumental panel. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact took her vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing and was advised that the skid control was defective and needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 19,000. The current mileage was 86,000. Updated 08/27/14 updated 09/2014

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 152014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc and ABS lights are going on after horrible shuttering sound from front of vehicle. My wife has experienced this four times on a major highway and we are concerned about safety. I had recently experienced this last weekend. There is a sudden loss of control of the vehicle being aware of the emergency brake is the only way to stop this vehicle.Toyota has many complaints about this and they need to recall this problem before someone gets rear ended on a highway.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 042014

Trac off, vsc trac, ABS and parking brake lights all came on and stayed on while driving. Vehicle has been doing this intermittently for about a month now on a regular basis. Has done it over the past couple years but maybe once every several months. Resets after vehicle is turned off. Looked up issue on internet and was surprised to find all the posts about this issue and the lack of Toyota to recall whatever is causing this issue.

- College Park, GA, USA

Dec 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving home on interstate 15 in California brake pedal would not depress. After several hard foot applications pedal finally engaged. This is after months of service on this vehicle for brake problems starting with spongy and inconsistent pedal and vcs, ABS and brake lights coming on and staying on. Dealership replaced on board computer, brake booster, brake master cylinder, brake pads and problem still there. I am the original owner and bought this vehicle new. This is a serious problem and just a matter of time before an accident occurs. This vehicle is now back in the shop once again.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Oct 042013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving vehicle and ABS activates and stalls vehicle not allowing for acceleration pulsating the brakes and leaving me in the middle of the road for about 30/45 seconds. It has happen twice already same thing both times.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Sep 082013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc trac lights, brake lights and wsc dash board indicators comes on while driving. This problem is constant and more persistent each time the vehicle is driven.

- Millersville, MD, USA

Aug 242013

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the brake pedal vibrated as the brakes seized. The vehicle slid with the illumination of the traction control and brake warning lights. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the ABS system failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Tracy , CA, USA

Aug 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While applying the brakes there is a grinding noise coming from the front of the vehicle with a shudder and the vsc, trac off and brake lights come on and stay on. This has happened several times recently. Also the brake light will come on at random times. Everything resets when the ignition is turned off. When the vehicle shudders it does not seem to be slowing down. I have checked the Toyota web site and they do not show any recalls. Also I have checked on-line and there are several people that seem to be having the same problem. This is a very unsafe problem and I feel that Toyota needs to fix this with a recall. They are aware of the problem and it is very expensive fix.

- Abilene, TX, USA

May 222013

Loss of ABS system, vsc & traction control on interstate at high rate of speed barely avoided collisions. Unsafe. Vsc/ABS/E brake light all on.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Apr 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while parked, the vsc and ABS warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The contact was unaware of the repair needed to remedy the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 292013

Driving on the highway and took an exit. Slowed down and turned the steering wheel. The vsa and trac lights came on, the car lost power for several seconds, pushing the gas pedal didn't do anything for several seconds and eventually, heard a loud noise as if the engine was re-engaging and then some grinding noise and the car was back to "normal" driving condition. Since the first incident, has happened several times over again. Very dangerous considering there were cars behind me and could have ran into me. Similar experience pulling into a parking lot. Made a left turn and the car just stopped. People were honking behind me and the car would not move. Had to turn the ignition off and then back on to make it work again.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Sequoia 8-cyl

About a month ago, beginning of March, the engine light, vsc trac light, trac off light, are all lite up when I turn on the engine. A week later, those light go off and on all the time and it still does it. From what I know, the trac off & vsc trac has something to do with the brake and I don't feel safe to drive in it. I went online and search to my problems and apparently, alot of people have the same problem as I do. Toyota need to have this recall and fix this problem to all their customers who have this problem.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 142013

Sequoia 8-cyl

My vsc, trac and brake light all came on all of sudden with a large boom sound. The car stalled on me in an intersection. The lights go off once car is turned off and then after turning car back on they will come on about 5 minutes after driving. Car loses power every so often now. Dealer said it needs a new computer.

- Yuma, AZ, USA