2005 Toyota Sequoia brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Sequoia:

2005 Toyota Sequoia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012016

Sequoia

Vsc trac, trac off, and parking park light warning lights will illuminate seemingly randomly while driving. When the car is stopped and turned off and then on again the warning lights are no longer on. Dealership has been unable to properly diagnosis the problem. They have charged over $4,000 to replace various parts of the brake system but the problem persists. I am concerned the brake system will not properly function when this condition exists.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Aug 052016

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that when the brakes were engaged at an unknown speed, the pedal went to the floor as the ABS and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was able to be pulled over and stopped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it diagnosed that the ABS hydraulic assembly, wheel speed sensor, stroke sensor, and engine control system had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however; the brake failure continued to recur. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicles actuator had failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 133,000.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Aug 122016

Sequoia

My vehicle's traction control light was coming on periodically, and when that would happen the engine would cut out, & I would not be able to accelerate. I took it in to get it repaired. After the repairs I was driving at about 20 mph, and as I was breaking to turn a corner the ABS, vbs, brake and traction control lights came on. My breaks made a grinding noise, the car began to shake, there were no breaks or steering control, and the engine cut out. This was very dangerous as I had no control and was on a city street in front of a park with children, and I had my son with me. Luckily I wasn't going very fast as the speed limit is 25 mph, and I was approaching the park and my street to turn on to. I was able to get stopped by hitting a curb but couldn't get control of the vehicle otherwise.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

May 012016

Sequoia

I experienced a problem with engine warning and vsc trac off lights going on. The check engine light also came on. My family and I were on a trip and our Sequoia all of a sudden lost power. It slowed down dramatically even though the engine was fine. It was a very dangerous situation because we were on an interstate where the speed is 70 mph. I also experienced all the brakes making a massive grinding noise while going slow into a restaurant. (the brakes have less than 3000 miles on them.) the parking brake light also comes on periodically.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Feb 172016

Sequoia

Depressing the brakes - even lightly when slowing intermittently activates the ABS along with a loud buzzing mechanical noise. As such, I'm not able to slow as quickly with the ABS deployed. Mechanic reports this is related to tsb - but no recall yet.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jan 162016

Sequoia

The vsc trac, vsc off, brake, and ABS lights all come on all at once. This has happened numerous times since I first bought the used SUV in May 2013. It worries me as I am on the freeway not knowing what will happen. Not sure how this will affect my vehicle in the long run. It normally comes on when I drive the vehicle for more than one hour at a crawling speed. For example, there have been times the freeway hits a rush hour moment and everyone will start rolling/crawling with their vehicles. As this happens, the lights will come on at least two times in a 30 minutes to one hour time frame.

- Apo, AP, USA

Oct 082015

Sequoia

While driving, the check engine light, vsc light, brake light all came on. Vehicle would not accelerate past 40 mph. Diagnostic codes C1223, C1247, C1310 came back. Checking the internet, this is a common issue with this vehicle and a recall should be issued.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Oct 012015

Sequoia

Tonight when backing out of my driveway I heard a loud grinding noise and my brake pedal was very hard to push. The brake light, trac off and vsc trac lights all were on. I parked the vehicle and cycled the engine and as soon as I drove away it happened again. I have had problems with just the brake light coming on then going off after turning off the key but this is the first time all 3 have come on and I have had no brakes at all. I have researched and noticed this is a common problem and yet Toyota has failed to issue a recall on this problem. I was very lucky my wife was not driving the car with my daughter in the vehicle.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Sep 122015

Sequoia

I was traveling about 30 mph and the vsc off, vsc trac, E brake light all came on at the same time and will not shut off. They have been on for about a week now. Cannot get them to turn off.

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Aug 032015

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated. In addition, the vsc track off and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Walhalla, SC, USA

May 112015

Sequoia

Within the first two weeks, after purchasing the vehicle, the "brake" light, "vsc trac" light, and "trac off" light came on and there was a terrible grinding sound when attempting to stop. It was very hard to stop but luckily I was in a parking lot when it happened the first time. The "brake" light has continued to come on multiple times per week since may of 2015 and the other two lights still come on occasionally. In fact, on my 800 foot drive back from picking up my lunch today, the "brake" light was on. Each time the other 2 come on, it causes the breaks to grind and it is very hard to stop. There was just over 120,000 miles on the vehicle at purchase. I have read numerous forums online stating issues with this model, 2004, and 2003 models for the same issue but Toyota has refused to do a recall and expects customers to pay for something is obviously an issue throughout these particular models. I think something needs to be done about this issue. I believe it is a safety concern Toyota needs to be responsible for!!!

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Jun 292011

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that the brake warning light intermittently illuminated. In addition, the vsc track off and the check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Roanoke , VA, USA

Jun 172015

Sequoia 8-cyl

I bought a Toyota Sequoia 2005 back in 2005 at rice Toyota dealer in greensboro. Today, when I was driving on the street and turned on the left light signal with less than 15 mph while using the brake, I heard a very loud grinding noise and that instantly I saw all 3 signs ( trac off, vsc trac, brake ) on at the same time. I am almost out of breath and scared to death. The signs (trac off, vsc trac, brake ) once in a while appeared in the past and disappeared by themselve and I did not have any serious problems in the past, but today the car just acted like a dead car at that momentarily. I was so scared and scared.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 102006

Sequoia

The vsc off, vsc trac and the brake lights comes on intermittently and sometimes even make weird noises. Took it to the dealer way back when the car was only a few months old for a couple of times but of course, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. So now that the car is much older and the light is on almost constantly and I found this site so I want to put in a complain hoping Toyota would listen and take care of their customers.

- Renton, WA, USA

Feb 012015

Sequoia 8-cyl

When slowing to a stop, my Sequoia periodically grinds when braking and the vsc sensor, ABS sensor and trac sensor light turn on and stay on.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 052014

Sequoia

Went to apply the brakes and they were solid and the vehicle would not stop. All of the anti-lock brake lights lit up on the dash and the ant-lock brakes engaged. After pumping the brakes repeatedly the pedal came back to normal and was able to stop the vehicle. Placed it in park and turned off the ignition and then restarted the vehicle and it braked normally after that. This brake has happened on several occasions.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Dec 232014

Sequoia

As I started driving the car my vsc off vsc trac and brake light when on when I tried to brake it made a terrible sound as I continued to press on the brake it made a hssssssing sound like air was coming out I got home and googled the problem I guess im not the only one Toyota is aware of problem but will not fix 2003 was fix but the rest aren't I did call Toyota and filed a complaint and the told me they couldn't do anything about it was up to me and my responsibility if its an ongoing problem and very dangerous Toyota should recall I know have it with an experience mechanic and will hopefully get results soon.

- Walnut, CA, USA

Oct 032014

Sequoia 8-cyl

At slow speeds on clean, dry pavement and normal braking conditions all warning lights on the dash will illuminate, the skid/traction control will start beeping and the ABS will engage for no apparent reason 0 while also making a grinding noise. This has happened twice in the past month. Toyota dealer indicated the problem is the "ABS and traction control actuator."

- Cordova, TN, USA

Jul 212013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Brakes became "soft" with vibration in pedal and complete loss of acceleration power. Upon review-saw this is a common complaint that is not being resolved by Toyota. They recalled their 2003 product with the same problem. Folks go to Toyota to have problem fixed - only to have same problem within months and some folks have paid upwards of $3000 and the problem is not resolved. There are thousand of complaints with this problem if you will monitor Toyota complaint data base and many other forums.will a family have to be gravely injured before action is taken?

- August, GA, USA

Oct 042014

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, ABS and brake alerts light up on dash board, noise when vehicle is initially turned on, the noise disappears after a few minutes but the alerts stay on. The vehicle also loses power (but the engine keeps running, just no power to accelerate) if I make a quick turn, loss of power lasts for a few seconds then turns back on.

- Brea, CA, USA