2000 Toyota Sienna electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Toyota Sienna:

2000 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Oct 272005

Sienna 6-cyl

When I tried to start my 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan last week, it did not start normally and it made a strange noise. I turned off the ignition, and the noise continued. I removed the key from the ignition and the car continued to make noise. It appeared that the car was still trying to start, even though the key was no longer in the ignition. The car was making a chugging noise - that might have sounded like it was running to someone not familiar with the car. I did not know how to get the car to stop. I called for a friend to come and help. He arrived approximately five minutes later - the car was chugging continuously all this time and my garage (where the van was parked) was starting to smell. My friend attempted to turn the van on and off again - this had no effect. He opened the hood, (there was some smoke) and eventually disconnected the battery using a wrench - this finally stopped the van. He believes that a fire would have started had he not disconnected the battery. The van was towed to a Toyota dealership, where they replaced the starter. They said that the starter must have shorted out and that it was a good thing that we disconnected the battery. This happened in my garage in my home as I was about to take my children to school. I afraid that this defect could have caused a serious fire, damage to my home and possibly serious injury to my children and myself.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 302003

Sienna 6-cyl

Multiple problems with my 2000 Toyota Sienna xle, first the car had problems with battery drain and not starting, they replaced the radio amplifier twice before fixing it, the power window on the driver side broke at 35,000 miles. The back hatch sheetmetal is all dented just from closing it and pushing on the handle. The worst one is that the van has been blowing a lot of blue smoke and burning oil, 4 quarts in the last 750 miles. So far no help from the dealer.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Aug 282003

Sienna 6-cyl

My 2000 Toyota Sienna xle have experience failure in the driver's side power window. The window would have enough power in opening but not closing. The mechanic indicated that motor in the window needed to be replaced. The cost and labor is $322.62. I noticed the complaints section, that this incident happens most of the time.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Dec 052002

Sienna

Ltr fwd fm fhwa re their defective 2000 Toyota Sienna xle, the van has problems with engine sludge... the vehicle started to blow blue smoke and ran rough. The dealer discovered engine gel deposits. The malfunctioning light had come on due to the oxygen sensor per dealer, the brakes squealed when stopped at low speeds(problem continued), and pulled to the left. The dealer could not duplicate. The engine sludge had come back again due to a burnt hole in the valve which was in the piston. The tachometer illumination appeared to be out and the bulb was replaced. The consumer requested reimbursement for the hotel stay and the vehicle rental.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

May 292001

Sienna

My vehicle experienced a dash board short.

- Deephaven, MN, USA

Jan 162000

Sienna

While driving engine just all of a sudden lost power and vehicle started to slow down in the middle of traffic, possible engine or electrical malfunction.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA