1.7

2002 Toyota Sienna brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sienna:

2002 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Jun 012005

Sienna 6-cyl

When driving on cruise control and lightly braking the car suddenly alarmingly accelerates. Dealer claims various issues that they tried but non resolved the problem. I am ready to sell and afraid that the buyer might not remember to follow my instruction to turn off the cruise control before braking. I have brought the car to the dealer several times over the years, most recently this year 2014.

- St. Charles, IL, USA

Jul 302012

Sienna

I was pulling forward from a red light, slowly accelerating. Someone cut me off, I swerved, and then accelerated into traffic. The car started accelerating on its own, from about 35 mph (where I pulled my foot off the accelerator pad to "hold" the speed but not continue accelerating) up to 55 mph--this happened very quickly, in a smattering of seconds. I remembered reading that you should just slam on the brake and hold it down hard, which I did. This did stop further acceleration, but it did not immediately slow the car. I was able to slow the car in about 10 seconds, though deceleration was very slow. When I finally returned to 35 mph, I did not attempt to accelerate again for about two miles. I stopped at another traffic light, and when I started forward from the light, I did not depress the accelerator pad with my typical force, accelerating at about half the speed I normally would, as I did not want to be taken by surprise by the unexpected sudden acceleration again. The problem did not further repeat itself this evening, but it was quite scary when it happened. I know it was not the floor mat under the pedal, as the floor mat has been cut away from the pedal area and was pulled very far back into the driver's seat area.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA