1. replace door motor and cable (5 reports)
  3. new cable (1 reports)
2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Jun 152012

Sienna XLE 3.3L V6

Bought the vehicle used in 2011. Got screwed by the dealership. Had pollen on the vehicle and we bought it before we saw the big dent in it. They would not renegotiate on the price. Well a year later screwed by Toyota because the cable to the sliding door on the driver side came out. How annoying!!! They should recall that because when you buy a minivan for your children to ride in with automatic sliding doors and you have a handful of items in your hand you should be able to open the door automatically. Toyota you should do the right thing by RECALLING THIS PROBLEM PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read a lot of complaints on this very issues!

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Sep 112009

Sienna XLE V6

Recently, about June or July 2012 I got a RECALL letter from TOYOTA on this issue (of broken cable of the sliding door on SIENNA, maybe on many different years model I don’t remember, I don’t have the letter with me now). I brought the car in the TOYOTA dealer, talked to a service rep who connected me to a TOYOTA rep. who … finally told me because I did not take the offer back then to have it fixed and TOYOTA would pay for part of it so now it’s over. She said if I had it fixed and sent them the bill they would reimburse the amount I paid for. I told her I did not agree with the settlement they offer back at that time then how could I have it fixed back then? She said she’s sorry and could not do anything. To me that was a bullshit reason. This is what I think: all the TOYOTA reps like them would try to save the company’s $$$ as much so as to cover their butt, safe and not burning, at the expense of the customers. Of course, they would calculate the risk that not a lot of people would complain on the issue they are dealing with. She said TOYOTA would reimburse me if I had it fixed only because I told her I did not have it fixed. But if I told her otherwise she would find some other reasons to deny their responsibility. If you search on the GOOGLE on this 2004 TOYOTA SIENNA POWER DOOR CABLE MOTOR BUSTED you would a variety of the TOYOTA rep’s LYING and CUNNING WAY of AVOIDING their responsibility on the errors they made on the SIENNA. What’s about RECALL on other toyota automobiles?

- , Spring, TX, Pacific Islands (US)

Aug 202011

Sliding door cable is part of motor drive and costs approximately $950 to replace. The entire door has to be pulled resulting in high labor costs.. The steel cable is vinyl coated and when the coating fails, is exposed to elements, rusts and fails. Poor design.

- , Delaware, OH, USA

Oct 082011

Sienna Limited Sports

The cable that pulls the power sliding door open is coated with a material that over time becomes brittle, cracks, and breaks, causing pieces to break loose and potentially damage the motor that operates the door.

- , Sonoma, CA, USA

Oct 082011

Sienna Limited Sports

I am really really upset by this. I have small children. I can't be driving around with my doors stuck open. I also can't afford $2000 plus dollars to "diagnose" and fix this problem.

This is a safety issue and needs to be recalled. I know I am not the only one having door problems like this. This is not due to owner neglect. This is faulty equipment.

- , Sonoma, CA, USA

Aug 162011

Sienna XLE 3.3L

Instead of using stainless steel cables for the power side doors, Toyota used regular metal cables that rust out and fail over time. This cost saving material choice rears it's ugly head over time, after the vehicle is out of warranty. The cost to repair is estimated at over $700 per door, just to REPLACE THE CABLE.

Warning. If you are planning to spend more $ to buy a Sienna over another vehicle for the sake of quality, save the 7 grand and buy something else.

Lastly, reporting the problem to Toyota was a complete waste of time. "It's beyond the 3year/36,000 mile coverage" kidding! They did not seem very interested when I passed along my thoughts of using better quality cables that don't rust out after 7 years.

- , St Joseph, IL, USA

Sep 092009

Sienna XLE V6 AWD 6

Cable snapped and hung from car - was a danger to pedestrians and passengers getting in and out of the vehicle until I could cut the cable with tools.

- , Westborough, MA, USA

Nov 182009

Sienna LE 3.3L V6

Toyota new since 2004 that they have design flaw. It is a big safety issue, door suddenly locked upon you, you cannot leave even in case of emergency. They are totally fraud, cheaters and liars.

- , Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Jul 052007

Sienna XLE

Both sliding doors are automatic. The cables that open/close the doors are only 1/8 inch in diameter. One cable had failed. Investigating the other shows cracking on the cable surface (there is a plastic coating). Failure is likely. Out of warranty of course. This is a very poor design.

- , Lakeville, MA, USA