9.3

2. maybe install washers to hold bolt head (1 reports)
2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments

Jan 252012

Sienna

My van has manual doors. great since all the other sienna's seem to have defective cables. however, the door was not meant to withstand human hands wrenching it open. First of all, on a downward incline, the doors will not stay open... this puts exiting children in danger of decapitation.

Now, we find that the three bolts holding the latch on have slipped thru the bolt holes, into the cavity of the door. The mechanism latching the door closed is now floating around inside the door and not connecting when we close.

This means that the front of the door latches, but the back of the slider sticks out from the vehicle. Every time we take a right turn, our dome lights go on because the door does not make contact with the sensors.

Next week, they will try to find washers to hold the bolt heads outside the hole, but there are warranty issues, so I have to sign off on it. Also, if the washers are the wrong metal, there can be corrosion from two metals making contact! The dealer wants us to buy a whole new door for $2600! for two bolts. Bad news is that this is starting to happen on the other sliding door as well.

If Toyota wanted to design a door that could only withstand a power glide open, they should not have offered the vehicle without that option. Clearly the metal in that part of the door is too soft. Should not be my problem.

- , Albany, NY, USA

Apr 122010

Sienna XLE V6 AWD 6

As the door failed, the cable broke, caught itself on additional bodywork, and destroyed the door, tearing sheetmetal and shearing plastic. The door cannot be opened and is a safety hazard for passengers.

- , Westborough, MA, USA

Feb 022009

Sienna V6

Bought this van used exactly 1 year ago. When looking at it on the lot, the power sliding door would not open all the way (would open part-way then close). Dealer sprayed WD40 on it and it seemed to fix the problem. (Said it had sat for a while without being used) Last month, when the temp was in the teens, this door would not close when in "power" mode. (Note - our temps have been below 0 throughout the winter, and I did not have a problem with the door until last month.) When I took the power off and slid the door closed manually, it would stay closed. This happened maybe 3 or 4 more times over the last month - usually when the temps were below 20 degrees. Tonight, I cannot get the door to close! The temp outside is 60 degrees - so it has nothing to do with the temp. It won't close in power mode nor manual mode. I had to drive home only to have the door fly open while my son was sitting in the seat by that door! Cannot get this stupid thing to shut! Sprayed WD40 on various areas - to no avail. The interior lights have finally turned off - but I don't know what I'm going to do when I get up tomorrow morning and have to drive this van! This is a darn shame because I have absolutely loved this van! Now I'm irked beyond imagination!!! My husband lost his job in November and I do NOT have thousands of dollars to fix this! Repairs on Toyota's do not seem to be cheap! ARGH!!!

- , Ravenna, OH, USA