2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 14 of 18)

Jul 092009

While attempting to open the power side door, the cable to open it snapped causing the door to not open. This renders the power door inoperable. Toyota has a service notice on this but the cost to fix it according to Toyota is $850.

- S Royalton, VT, USA

Jul 152007

The van was sitting in the garage. When the door was opened with the remote control device, the cable broke and jammed the door opened. It took 1 hour to get the door closed. It has been jammed shut every since. The cost to repair it is $1500.

- Aurora, IL, USA

May 222009

Toyota Sienna 2004 electric sliding door passenger side broke - cable snapped. A metal skinny cable is now hanging from the outside of the car, next to the third row window. My car has 43,000 miles, so not covered by warranty anymore. The dealer tells me that the cost of repair is $1,500!!! the dealer claims that the motor and all cables have to be replaced.

- Teaneck, NJ, USA

May 272009

I have Toyota Sienna 2004 and the automatic sliding door just broke down after a loud bang and a peace of hard plastic flew off and hit the garage floor. I was alone and did not get hurt. Although I have ecp, the dealership said it is not covered and charged me $95cad+tax and gave me an estimate of $1700cad+tax. So I am complaining about two things, one that it could have hurt my kids if they were with me at that time and secondly the ecp does not cover this defect.

- Ottawa, 00, USA

Apr 012009

The cable and motor assembly for our 2004 Toyota Sienna xle sliding door broke. My wife was unable to close the door and had to drive home with four children in car seats in the back. I was able to close the door, but now we don't open it for fear of it being stuck open. I received a quote to fix of over $1,800. I researched on the internet and this seems to be a very common problem. Toyota should issue a recall as this is obviously defective and it is a safety concern.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 162008

The automatic side door on my Toyota Sienna 2004 stopped working, have to open it manually. Have seen quite a few complaints of the same nature on and it seems Toyota is aware but not doing anything about it.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

Dec 222008

The cable on the sliding side door of our 2004 Toyota Sienna snapped in December 2008. The cable (unknown metal) which was exposed & dangling appeared to be frayed, as well as rusted. There is no doubt in anyone's mind, including professionals, that this is, indeed, a danger created by a flaw in the vehicle's design. When the cable broke, I immediately took our Sienna to the local Toyota dealership who informed me it would be $1200 to repair it because it is out of warranty (more than 3 years old). When the Toyota service rep closed the door and tried to re-open it, the door was frozen in place and would not open. He said the other piece of the snapped cable must be caught in the mechanism which is jamming the door. In addition to the stress of not being able to open my door, this is a significant safety issue which could result in entrapment of passengers, particularly, our young grandchildren secured in their car seats. As I wait to come up with funds to have this door repaired, I consistently worry about the other sliding door, because from what I have heard, it, too, will likely snap within a short period of time. Though I have been dealing with this for a few months now, I just learned today that Toyota discovered the flaw 4 or 5 years ago, and made an adjustment on the newer models. However, they never bothered to provide notification--nor to recall--the vehicles which had already been produced. Isn't this illegal"? there are hundreds of 2004 Sienna sliding door complaints posted on the web, as well as many horrific and life-threatening stories about the dangers of the doors, including cables snapping causing injury, doors stuck in the closed position, doors not being able to be closed, and even doors opening while in transit. What can 2004 Sienna owners do about this safety-related issue and the refusal of Toyota to take responsibility for its design problem & correct it without exuberant consumer costs & to warn/notify all its consumers" thanks

- Walton, KY, USA

Mar 262009

Drivers side sliding door jammed and cable had to be cut by dealer. I have seen this is a common issue in Siennas. Seems to be a safety and quality issue. 1500 dollars for repair at dealer.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Mar 232009

Power side sliding door on passenger side of Toyota Sienna 2004 le van gets jammed, stuck, unopenable, unclosable in both cold and warm weather.

- Oak Brook, IL, USA

Feb 202009

2004 Toyota Sienna powerside door failure to open /close.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Dec 152008

2004 Toyota Sienna passenger sliding door (automatic),stopped working, scrapes paint off of body when used manually, nearly impossible to open and shut.

- Vista, CA, USA

Dec 172008

Cable and pulley system on rear power door on Toyota Sienna frayed and broken. Door doesn't slide on track and comes off while driving.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Feb 282009

Both sliding doors on 2004 Toyota Sienna le frequently freeze shut in winter. One door is power, one is manual, and both frequently freeze. Only solution so far is to wait for van to warm up. Major safety issue as it prevents easy exit for children in rear of van - they must crawl between the front seats to exit.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Feb 262009

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna xle. Starting about a month ago (right when it turned 100K miles) the rear driver's side power door started getting stuck closed and would not open. It made a clicking sound like it was trying to open but it was like it wouldn't unlock (even though the orange part of the level still moved inside to indicate it was unlocked). At first locking and unlocking the door a few times would solve the problem and then it would open fine. The problem has become increasingly frequent and now the door won't open at all. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't get it to open and the technician said that just about everyone with this model has this problem and quoted me $1600+ dollars to fix it - and that's if the door will open again. They also showed me how the replacement motor is a re-engineered part which is further indicative of the defectiveness of the original. There are hundreds if not thousands of instances of this very same failure happening to other Sienna owners of this vintage yet Toyota won't issue a recall. I called Toyota customer service and they just kept saying it has a hundred thousand miles and tough luck. Never mind it's a 4 year old car. They said I'd have to meet with the district manager who'd made this decision and that there was no possible way to ever escalate this matter above that individual. I don't buy that. They also refused to give me this individual's contact information. This is wholly unacceptable.. I have many more cars to purchase in my lifetime and they won't be Toyota's if this is how they're going to treat their customers. It seems as though they have no incentive to address this issue as the $3,000 it sounds like everyone is having to spend on their defective doors is a mighty lucrative income source for them. Help.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Feb 132009

Sliding doors freeze shut on minivan every time that the temperature gets below freezing and there is moisture in the air. Door handle broke off on the driver side sliding door and had the handle replaced. The Toyota dealership put baby oil on the weather stripping to hopefully reconcile this from happening again, however 2 days later the temperature was 24 F and both of the sliding doors were again frozen shut. In order to open the doors you have to climb over the front seats to push against the doors from the inside. It does not matter if the car warms up for 20 minutes they still remain frozen and they have frozen shut after driving less than 10 miles after getting them open.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Jan 012009

Van has less than 40,000 miles and so far all doors on van have failed. Sliding door cable snapped and pieces came flying out and hit me. Sliding doors freeze shut in cold weather making getting a child in or out of the in the case of an emergency impossible. Both seat heaters have failed. The van has required 3 brake jobs and 2 sets of tires in less than 40,000 miles.

- Melrose, MA, USA

Feb 162009

My 2004 Toyota Sienna sliding door fell off the track. It has less than 40,000 miles on it. I have to drive it home with the door hanging by a cable. It was kind of dangerous, especially with my daughters in it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 202008

The automatic sliding door does not open & close automatically like it should when the door open/close button is pressed. I have to get it started manually, and then open/close it like a manual door. Also both sliding doors (even the manual sliding door) freeze shut on a daily basis in the winter. This is a huge safety issue as I have children in the rear of the van.

- Auburn, MA, USA

Jan 272009

The cable of the motor on the right side of door (second row passenger side), which is automatic door had snapped! could barely open and/or close the door after that. I went to Toyota and they told me there was no warranty on it, so since I could barely open the door, I had to pay to get it fixed. Over $1600! I should mention, we have had problems with this door in the past. It would stick, not open properly, so we'd have to close it and re-open it. I brought this up to Toyota dealership many times, but they checked and said there was nothing wrong with it. Also, on the right side, which is manual, it sometimes would be "stuck" or, it would open, but would not "latch". it is supposed to kind of lock when all the way open, but it wouldn't. I have complained about this in the past also, but of course when I get to the dealership it works fine. I have called and complained today to corporate and will receive some sort of response tomorrow. So, both doors have problems, where the cable literally snaps and they cannot just replace the cable. They have to replace the entire motor.

- Streamwoood, IL, USA

Oct 222008

Cable broke on passenger side sliding door. Cable shot up between door panel and window. Nearly striking a passenger.

- Portland, ME, USA