2004 Toyota Sienna body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Sienna:

2004 Toyota Sienna Owner Comments (Page 15 of 18)

Nov 202007

I have a Sienna 04 van. The power slider door would not open completely. We took it to the dealer and found out the cable in the power door was bad, they want 2,000 to fix it. I can't afford that. We had them cut he cable so we could close the door. We have young kids who can not open the non power door creating a safety issue. Reading the auto discussion sites it is obvious how much of a common failure this is. For me a couple months out of warranty. This should not be a regular occurrence but it most certainly is one. Never mind how much Toyota makes on this issue. You can not get an oem part and you have to buy the whole motor assembly with it for 1200 dollars. What a markup. They will make as much on redoing these doors as they do selling the van, maybe more. And I thought Toyota was good, I have had many repairs and call backs on this van. Somebody needs to get Toyota to repair their doors and fix the design, which not a new issue.

- Castle Rock , CO, USA

Dec 192008

Right power sliding door on van was frozen and door wouldn't open. Result was a faulty cable that frayed. The door was taken to a repair shop and the cable was removed to make the door manual and now the door slides easily off the hinges/track.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Jan 042007

The power door on our 2004 Toyota Sienna started failing before the vehicle was 4 years old. The door has difficulty opening and closing leaving us to face the possibility of driving with the door open and possibly having a child in the seat next to it. This is the primary vehicle for my wife and children and I am concerned they will be stranded or placed in an unsafe situation. Toyota diagnosed it as needing a motor& cable assembly, center hinge and bracket. The repair estimate is $1,474.60. We have tried to work with Toyota on this but have not had any satisfaction.

- Castleton, NY, USA

Dec 022008

Welding issue with Toyota Sienna 2004 front driver's door.

- Winston-Salem , NC, USA

Nov 242008

Drivers side passenger power door does not close when the power motor fails. We were unable to drive the car because the door would not close. This was very dangerous with children in the back seat. Eventually, we were able to force the door closed, but we cannot open the door now. This is very dangerous because we may not be able to get out of the car quickly in an emergency.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Dec 022008

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. She noticed that in cold weather conditions both rear doors freeze even without precipitation. As a consequence she is not able to open the doors or close them once they are ajar. She notified the dealer and the technician stated that she would have to have a roof rail weather strip applied to her vehicle. A representative for the manufacturer stated that since there was not a recall they could not provide any assistance. The failure and current mileages were 57,000. Updated 01/29/09. Updated 01/30/09.

- New Haven, MO, USA

Dec 092008

Opened the automatic sliding door when picking my son up at school, heard a crunching noise. The door would not close automatically and had a difficult time getting it shut manually. Once shut I could see that the steel cable the door ran on had frayed/busted. Took it to the Toyota dealership for repair and was told the cable and motor would have to be replace since they were one unit at a cost of $1300. Fortunately for us, we purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase and the parts and labor were covered. We had to pay a $50 deductible as party of the warranty agreement.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Dec 012008

Power door on my 2004 Sienna has failed. $600 repair bill and it still is not right. This was an expensive vehicle, it should not falling apart this soon.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Dec 012008

I own a 2004 Toyota Sienna, with about 50,000 miles on it. The power door on this vehicle does not stop unless it has force on it if is accidentally closed while someone is one the way, doesn't bounce back like a garage door does. My power door cable snap yesterday as I was trying to open it and came back on me. It stopped and then finally closed, and would not open more than an inch. Took it to the dealer and was told that the cable broke and would have to be replaced along with the motor to the tune of 1100 just for the part and then labor charges. I purchased the extended warranty which is good until Nov 2010 and 75000 miles. However they say this is not covered. Toyota has a problem with hinges on there doors for this model year. Something need to be done before there is injury.

- Rockand, MA, USA

Nov 132008

The motor which powers the passenger side power door is cracked (and broken). The dealer wants $2008.51 to fix the problem. The car has never been in an accident, and the door only went through normal wear and tear. There was no event leading up to the failure, it just stopped working. The door is only able to be operated through manual operation now. I can't afford to fix the car.

- San Bruno, CA, USA

Nov 132008

I have a 2004 Sienna with power sliding doors. The driver side door got stuck and wouldn't close while my wife and 2 children were out running errands. My wife had to drive home with the door open because it was late at night and I was out of town and couldn't pick her up. This was obviously a hazard to my family including the fact that they were freezing from the wind blowing in throughout the car. I talked to the service center at michael's Toyota in bellevue, and they said it would probably cost at least $1500 (probably more) since my car is out of warranty. Obviously, I think this is ridiculous since the car is less than 5 years old and only has ~66K miles.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Aug 252008

Automatic sliding side door (2004 Toyota Sienna, malfunctions when parked on incline. Door opens and shuts erratically and does not "stop" (automatic stop seems to have disappeared also) causing children to become pinned in door.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jul 152008

The passenger side automatic sliding door stopped working one day without warning. The door than jammed in the open position. With 3 children in the car there was no way to safely drive the car without closing door. Thankfully we were able to free the frayed cable, unjam the door, and close it. Because the car was no longer covered by the warranty Toyota wants $2000+ to fix the door.

- Bristow, VA, USA

Jul 302008

Cable broke off the motor that controls the right side sliding door. Vehicle was less than 4 years old when breakage occurred. Since owning the vehicle the door would on occasion not open properly. Brought the vehicle back to dealership on several occasions while still under warranty and they stated they could not duplicate the problem. When brought to the dealer for repair of the cable I was told the repair would cost $1600.

- Salt Point, NY, USA

Jul 152008

Sienna 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Sienna. When the contact attempted to open the rear passenger side door, he noticed that the power door would not function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the door needed to be replaced. Prior to the failure, the contact noticed that the door would not operate properly. The current and failure mileages were 114,000. Updated 10-30-08 updated 10/31/08.

- Kenmore, NY, USA

Oct 132008

2004 Toyota Sienna automatic sliding door jammed. Unable to close door and needed to shift to manual mode. Cable snapped and could have caused injury if someone was by the door.

- Jefferson, MA, USA

Oct 052008

Cable used to open/close the passenger sliding door snapped and caused door to close without warning and almost pinched fingers.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 282008

The automatic sliding door for our 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan failed and then fell off, the door weighs over one hundred pounds, and is inoperable in case of an accident, and amy have hurt someone when it fell off.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Sep 102008

'04 Toyota Sienna xle driver side, passenger sliding door failure without warning or incident. Cable broken and hanging from rear end of door. Door only opens a few inches with brute strength. Diagnosis by Toyota service not complete. Ernie palmer Toyota of jacksonville says not under warranty and that they have never heard of this type incident. I see many complaints for this model online. Is this a mfgr. Defect that Toyota should cover?

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 012008

Toyota Sienna sliding doors do not work properly and cost over $1,600 to fix each door. I just had the driver side replaced. No one explained what was wrong. Now the right side does not work properly. It keeps clicking and clacking. I have to manually open it part way for it to catch on. I have to also manually close it part way to catch on. I'm afraid something bad is going to happen. I'm trying to save up $2,000 to get it fixed. I will not buy another Sienna again.

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA